Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Deauville or Varadero

• 20-10-2010 8:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

I'm just wondering what you would recommend.
    A deauville 700 or a varadero 125
    I got the A licence last year but have no experience really.
    I'm getting mixed advice.
    Would a novice really need the experience on a 125 first?
    The varadero is only available from the uk at €6800 with duty with a few options which is dear but apparently a great bike.
    The deauville is €10800 which is better value but maybe more experience is needed first?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

If it was me, I would go for a restricted Deauville.

How old are you?
    The reason I ask that, is that some young people find it difficult to get reasonable insurance on a bigger bike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Crasp

They are 2 very different bikes!

I'd go for the deauville myself, I actually quite like them (despite bing <50 years old). Grand bike to go and plenty of power for what they are.

The varadero would be dead to the world, but much better in town than the deauville and more economical, probably mildly cheaper insurance (though the deauville isn't all that big).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭jayok

Well I am biased as I've a NT700 Deauville. Nice bike easy to ride and doesn't really suffer from the restriction. I use it to commute into town and never have had an issue filtering, etc. Can speak for the varadero, but a 125cc versus a 680cc isn't a fair comparison.

I've a restricted license and only passed my A 10 months ago, so still learning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

srt wrote: »
    I'm just wondering what you would recommend.
    A deauville 700 or a varadero 125
    I got the A licence last year but have no experience really.
    I'm getting mixed advice.
    Would a novice really need the experience on a 125 first?
    The varadero is only available from the uk at €6800 with duty with a few options which is dear but apparently a great bike.
    The deauville is €10800 which is better value but maybe more experience is needed first?

thats insane money to spenf id you don't know enough to decide between a 125 and a 700

buy an oil cooled 600 bandit for 1500 get it restricted and get the shocks seals and bearings checked/done and you'll have a bullet proof bike with loads of umph

loads of othjer ways to go but don't do what you posted
    in two years you'll need yer money saved to buy something good with the money you didn't spend on a deauville

2011-ducati-848-evo.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 761 ✭✭✭Agent_47

I am going to come at this from two angles. I had a Varadero from new. I believe the price you quote is for the 1000 cc as a UK import because the 125cc version I had was 5,700€. It could not be 6800?
    It was a great novice bike but very underpowered.
    The Deauville is nice and refined but I steered away from it when I heard how much time was required to get the fairings off for servicing thus adding to cost.

Got an ER6 f Kawasaki when I got the probation up on the A licence. Bulletproof bike, 67 MPG and fair poke not to mention street cred. Will be changing it after 5 years and geting a 12D from the same dealer at some stage, thats how much I rate it.:D

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 646 ✭✭✭yogidc26

Tigger wrote: »

That second one is class Id like that myself :D

i know
    its v tempting and he might take a good bit less

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

Deauville.
    Varadero are overrated and underpowered.
    Gardai use deauville. They use them fast. You can drive them unrestricted, as far as I know, as the power to weight ratio fits the bill. Great for long distance, you won't get that on a vara.
    Also, if you are unsure if you are experienced, again go DV. The army use them. Novices learn everything on them in the 2 cavalry squadron. They have handy crash protector pods that protect the bodywork in an off, and are far cheaper to replace, if you so desire. Plenty of good second hand ones out there.

After a while you'll get bored on the 125, and need to change, but 125s depreciate more than "full size". However you could find you only want to replace the dv with another dv.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 srt

That's sound advice by all.
    29 is my age and the duty price for the Varadero I quoted included a few options but I may have calculated the Vat/Vrt wrong.
    I'll check out the kawasaki and bandit option and scrap the Varadero one.
    The DV sounds very suitable.
    Thanks for the help

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

To be honest, I think novice riders are mad to go spending that kind of money on their first bike without 1. Really knowing what each type of bike is like. 2. Having the expierience to ride it without dropping it. Just like when you first start driving a car, there are always going to be a few close scrapes and bumps much better to take them on a bike that didn't stand you a few grand.

I would look at the 125 - 400cc range of bikes between 1k - 2k max for your first bike and learn on it. Another advantage is that you are more likely to do some of the work on the bike yourself and learn.

Obviously not for everyone but i've recently started biking and bought a Virago 250, within a week I had to trace an electrical fault, replace the battery and both headlamps, spend a weekend going through the manual and electrical systems, fuses and I now know the electrical system nearly inside out and i'm confident if theres ever a problem again I can handle it myself!...Just some food for thought, BTW you will love biking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Deauville.
    Varadero are overrated and underpowered.
    Gardai use deauville. They use them fast. You can drive them unrestricted, as far as I know, as the power to weight ratio fits the bill. Great for long distance, you won't get that on a vara.
    Also, if you are unsure if you are experienced, again go DV. The army use them. Novices learn everything on them in the 2 cavalry squadron. They have handy crash protector pods that protect the bodywork in an off, and are far cheaper to replace, if you so desire. Plenty of good second hand ones out there.

After a while you'll get bored on the 125, and need to change, but 125s depreciate more than "full size". However you could find you only want to replace the dv with another dv.

Thats good advice, btw the Defence Forces are also using Bandits however I'd go with the DV over the Bandit any day.

Thats good advice, btw the Defence Forces are also using Bandits however I'd go with the DV over the Bandit any day.

True, the DF(specifically the MPs) aren't having much success with the Bandits though. Try to find one that hasn't been "down the road".
    That's what happens when you ignore expert advice.

True, the DF(specifically the MPs) aren't having much success with the Bandits though. Try to find one that hasn't been "down the road".
    That's what happens when you ignore expert advice.

Well mechanically they're a fine bike, just awful to ride. The old Kawasaki GT550's were a much nicer bike to ride and mechanically just as sound as the Bandit.

Well mechanically they're a fine bike, just awful to ride. The old Kawasaki GT550's were a much nicer bike to ride and mechanically just as sound as the Bandit.

Agree, the shaft drive is a huge advantage though. Also, the Bandit was never designed to have loads of unbalanced weight and a lolipop stick stuck behind the rear axle

Agree, the shaft drive is a huge advantage though. Also, the Bandit was never designed to have loads of unbalanced weight and a lolipop stick stuck behind the rear axle

+1.

The Bandit is pretty unbalanced as it is without adding those Givi boxes.

Another disadvantage with the Bandit is its dire lack of torque, makes it awful for city traffic compared to the GT's.

The DV's don't have that problem and are a far superior bike all round.

+1.

The Bandit is pretty unbalanced as it is without adding those Givi boxes.

Another disadvantage with the Bandit is its dire lack of torque, makes it awful for city traffic compared to the GT's.

The DV's don't have that problem and are a far superior bike all round.

Ah but the MPs(who up to then got whatever the Cav got) knew best and decided to go their own way.
    Hopefully they have learnt their lesson and will take what they are given from now on.

Ah but the MPs(who up to then got whatever the Cav got) knew best and decided to go their own way.
    Hopefully they have learnt their lesson and will take what they are given from now on.

Tbh, the MP's weren't the first to get the Bandits.

Advertisement