Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1K to blow on a build

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭dwighet

no bother. if u want to overclock your processor ill send u on a guide. u should be able to run at, at least, 3.4ghz on stock cooler if not 3.6ghz.

your a good man;)
    Will i be able to fit quieter cooling on both gpu`s or will they be too close together for after market coolers to fit?

This rig will be in the sitting room and the Mrs will throw a wobbly if its making noise while her soaps are on:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

can you overclock on a stock cooler with an i7 930? sorry for hijacking :D just didnt think it was good idea, still havnt saved up for my D-14

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Curry Addict

dwighet wrote: »
    your a good man;)
    Will i be able to fit quieter cooling on both gpu`s or will they be too close together for after market coolers to fit?

This rig will be in the sitting room and the Mrs will throw a wobbly if its making noise while her soaps are on:eek:

hard question to answer, i dont know the case and the gpu cards are quite new to the market so hard to know how it is when it all fits together in your case. id try it the way it is and see how it goes with the missus.
    ive a similar build to yours but with no soundproofing, also in the livingroom. i have it pushed under a desk in the corner and there is a low humm off it but its not annoying or invasive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭the untitled user

your a good manwink.gif

This rig will be in the sitting room and the Mrs will throw a wobbly if its making noise while her soaps are oneek.gif

You might want to lose the AMDs then... noise is an issue with them from what I hear, especially the 6870. You could put aftermarket coolers on them, but compatible ones probably wont be around for a bit.
    can you overclock on a stock cooler with an i7 930? sorry for hijacking :D just didnt think it was good idea, still havnt saved up for my D-14

If you disabled hyperthreading you could possibly eek out a small overclock.
    The i7s are hotter though than the i5s, I wouldn't recommend it.

u can usually do a modest overclock. the key things are to keep your core voltage below 1.375 and your core temps below 72.7 and u should be ok.
    u can monitor these with programs like "core temp" and cpu-z.
    there are plenty of guides out there u can google. no need to turn off hyper treading just keep a close eye on you temps at full load

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,507 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Using 2 6870s wouldn't be my number one choice. Those cards run pretty loud + hot and crossfire performance is so sporadic and lacklustre that it usually just disappoints you. You'd be better off buying a single card (i.e a more expensive single card), rather than using 2 in sli or crossfire. The newer drivers being released seem to have improved crossfire support but its still very much hit and miss. But you said you needed a quiet card for your system right?

For about 150 euro you can get a MSI gtx460 768 pre-overclocked card delivered to your door. At the moment they are the best price per performance cards i am aware of on the market. The MSI model uses an excellent cooler and its pretty much silent. The overclock is modest enough so you can tweak it a fair bit more if you want to. After spending 2 weeks researching for a new card after my beloved 8800 gts 640 died i picked one up myself and I'm very impressed with its noise and performance.

Of course, the thing with PC building is that there is always an upgrade for just a little bit more cash - for me i like to buy the best performance per price components and then overclock to extend their life - there are apps (like nvidias ntune) that will automatically OC your system for you if overclocking isn't something you've done before, but you cant beat doing it yourself really and there are loads of places to get advice.

Hope i haven't muddied the waters too much, best of luck with your new build :)

Using 2 6870s wouldn't be my number one choice. Those cards run pretty loud + hot and crossfire performance is so sporadic and lacklustre that it usually just disappoints you. You'd be better off buying a single card (i.e a more expensive single card), rather than using 2 in sli or crossfire. The newer drivers being released seem to have improved crossfire support but its still very much hit and miss. But you said you needed a quiet card for your system right?

For about 150 euro you can get a MSI gtx460 768 pre-overclocked card delivered to your door. At the moment they are the best price per performance cards i am aware of on the market. The MSI model uses an excellent cooler and its pretty much silent. The overclock is modest enough so you can tweak it a fair bit more if you want to. After spending 2 weeks researching for a new card after my beloved 8800 gts 640 died i picked one up myself and I'm very impressed with its noise and performance.

Of course, the thing with PC building is that there is always an upgrade for just a little bit more cash - for me i like to buy the best performance per price components and then overclock to extend their life - there are apps (like nvidias ntune) that will automatically OC your system for you if overclocking isn't something you've done before, but you cant beat doing it yourself really and there are loads of places to get advice.

the cards are 6850s not 6870s. the 6850 is 2 weeks on the market so i think its unlikely u know how they sound :) . they are low power consumption cards with max load of only 229w and are designed to run hotter rather than louder. the performance is a shade better than the gtx 460 1gig. 2 of these in crossfire will give about double fps over a gtx460 768 so they will give amazing gaming performance for the price and probably the quietest of crossfire/sli configurations. see here for comparisons.... http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/graphics/2010/10/22/ati-radeon-hd-6850-review/8

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

your a good man;)

Did you get this Gigabyte in the end? Because the PCIe slots are well spaced apart so it will be easily possible to get two aftermaket coolers in there.

The one issue is that depending on the cooler you select you could end up with few or no usable PCI slots if you got big 2.5/3slot coolers (which most of the decent ones are).

There is an interesting discussion here about aftermarket coolers that are working with 6800 cards. Seems pretty well anything that worked with a 5800 is still good.

the cards are 6850s not 6870s. the 6850 is 2 weeks on the market so i think its unlikely u know how they sound :) . they are low power consumption cards with max load of only 229w and are designed to run hotter rather than louder. the performance is a shade better than the gtx 460 1gig. 2 of these in crossfire will give about double fps over a gtx460 768 so they will give amazing gaming performance for the price and probably the quietest of crossfire/sli configurations. see here for comparisons.... http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/graphics/2010/10/22/ati-radeon-hd-6850-review/8

You're right, i was looking at the wrong model :( Correct me if I'm wrong though but those 6850 cards run really hot. The review you linked shows them running at a pretty high temp, which means you are going to need to be careful that the cooling required isn't going to cause a lot extra noise. I may not have one in setup right now but i do have a 460 and they are whisper quiet. That card, despite being a lot lower specced compared to the 6850 seems to have more than acceptable minimum frame rates on the base model - the MSI i linked is pre-overclocked (and supposedly you can run them from 650(base) to 725(msi version) to 800mhz) so that is also something to consider. I'm not saying the 460 is a higher performing card as such, more that it might be butter suited to the ops requirements.

Has crossfire improved to the point now that you get an 80% performance increase? All the reviews i see seem to indicate that its very hit and miss and that your money is still best spent on a single higher rated card.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

actually the crossfire performance in the 6850's and 6870's are amazing from what ive read even better than the 460's

• Advertisement

actually the crossfire performance in the 6850's and 6870's are amazing from what ive read even better than the 460's

Its certainly not twice the performance though more like 20-30% increase - and again it really depends on the games you play. Euro for euro crossfire is not a winner - look at this comparison here.

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/ATI/Radeon_HD_6850_CrossFire/24.html

marco_polo wrote: »
    Did you get this Gigabyte in the end? Because the PCIe slots are well spaced apart so it will be easily possible to get two aftermaket coolers in there.

The one issue is that depending on the cooler you select you could end up with few or no usable PCI slots if you got big 2.5/3slot coolers (which most of the decent ones are).

There is an interesting discussion here about aftermarket coolers that are working with 6800 cards. Seems pretty well anything that worked with a 5800 is still good.

I did (will at the end of the month/pay day) go for that mobo....
    Im thinking I will stick with a single 6870 and see how I get on with it...
    This is what I had in mind....

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

I did (will at the end of the month/pay day) go for that mobo....
    Im thinking I will stick with a single 6870 and see how I get on with it...
    This is what I had in mind....

A good call I think, there is really no need for more that a one 6870 if you are running a single monitor setup. That is unless you consider your 1K budget to be a target rather than a limit :)

A good call I think, there is really no need for more that a one 6870 if you are running a single monitor setup. That is unless you consider your 1K budget to be a target rather than a limit :)
    The 1k was more of a target for the build...A few hundy xtra wont break me..Just dont tell her that;)

I was in touch with the lads at Scythe and they say that there new setsugen 2 vga cooler will be compatable with the 6870....Its just trying to find one is the problem. Will wait and see once its all together and running before I hand out anymore cabbage... The dampening in the case might just do the trick...time will tell..

I will be just running the single monitor(24") so as you say the 1x 6870 should be just fine....

Appreciate your help Marco and the rest of the lads...
    Cheers
    Dwighet

The 1k was more of a target for the build...A few hundy xtra wont break me..Just dont tell her that;)

I was in touch with the lads at Scythe and they say that there new setsugen 2 vga cooler will be compatable with the 6870....Its just trying to find one is the problem. Will wait and see once its all together and running before I hand out anymore cabbage... The dampening in the case might just do the trick...time will tell..

I will be just running the single monitor(24") so as you say the 1x 6870 should be just fine....

Appreciate your help Marco and the rest of the lads...
    Cheers
    Dwighet

Came across the Rev 1 last week while researching coolers for myself, it is a class looking cooler very clever design, dual-slot too unlike other tri-slot monsters. I couldn't find anyone that stocks it though. :(

Came across the Rev 1 last week while researching coolers for myself, it is a class looking cooler very clever design, dual-slot too unlike other tri-slot monsters. I couldn't find anyone that stocks it though. :(

they look the biz alright....
    Some temp differences to the stock coolers..

Its certainly not twice the performance though more like 20-30% increase - and again it really depends on the games you play. Euro for euro crossfire is not a winner - look at this comparison here.

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/ATI/Radeon_HD_6850_CrossFire/24.html

wrong graph mate. from the same review u can see here that 6850 is the top performer and gives 100% performance increase in crossfire.
    http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/ATI/Radeon_HD_6850_CrossFire/23.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

wrong graph mate. from the same review u can see here that 6850 is the top performer and gives 100% performance increase in crossfire.
    http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/ATI/Radeon_HD_6850_CrossFire/23.html

Did you even look at the link you just gave? They rated everything else to the 6850 crossfire config (100%). It averaged an increase over a single 6850 of about 45%, not 100%

well he did give a dollar/performance graph which is ambiguous at best. considering the single conif 6850 graphs on this site and the toms hardware CF fps stats for the 5850, which the 6850 replaces which are very impressive 90%approx .considering the comparisons between the 5850 and the 6850, the power draws and quietness and the bang for buck delivered its all good imho.

Advertisement