Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

We are promised another very cold winter - how the hell are we going to manage.

• 20-10-2010 9:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭

We are promised a cold winter and temperatures are expected to drop as low as minus 15/minus 16. Thats cold! If the experts are correct it will be the coldest winter in ireland in 1000 years. How are we going to manage? Surely it will make it extremely difficult to leave the house whether you are driving or on foot when it is extremely icy out. We need this like a fcuking hole in head.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Got an extra blanket?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

who promised this? cuz they don't know **** yo

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Luxie

I get that every year. You adapt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Perhaps this year the councils might stockpile some extra grit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭littlefriend

Where did you get this info? I'm set up ok for weather conditions; really don't envy those who aren't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Ebbs

Little packets of salt from MacDonalds.

Ive been saving mine from last Jan, Ill be prepared.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,763 ✭✭✭Sheeps

Hopefully we'll have enough grit about from last winter, but Dublin city council should invest in a few snow mobiles or something.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 949 ✭✭✭maxxie

ilovesleep wrote: »
    We are promised a cold winter and temperatures are expected to drop as low as minus 15/minus 16. Thats cold! If the experts are correct it will be the coldest winter in ireland in 1000 years. How are we going to manage? Surely it will make it extremely difficult to leave the house whether you are driving or on foot when it is extremely icy out. We need this like a fcuking hole in head.

man up ya sissy! cold water never hurt nobody

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Ebbs wrote: »
    Little packets of salt from MacDonalds.

Ive been saving mine from last Jan, Ill be prepared.
    You've still got money to afford a McDee's? Ya rich sod! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 804 ✭✭✭round tower huntsman

ff will make a fortune of the extra revenue added on to gas and oil...pity some old people and poor will freeze to death though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

Wonder who'll fall over on RTE news this year...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭derfderf

Stephen wrote: »

Or at least run out in the morning this time so i can't go to work instead of not being able to get home from work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

Proper sanding/gritting and enough supplies to last unlike last year when we ran out. Basically a proper plan to deal with the snowy and icey weather so people can still get to work. 3" of snow or whatever it was last year was nothing by international standards, if this year is gonna be worse the politicians need to get up off their arse. But this is Ireland, won't do anything until it's too late :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

Jameson, will solve all you problems, beer will not.

I went tailgating to a Patriots' Football game last January here in Boston...it was minus 23C, we were standing out in a car park having a BBQ at 10am drinking shots of Jameson to stay warm because our beer started to get all slushy once we took it out of the car!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,456 ✭✭✭Riddle101

Are we going to get anothe snow day like last year? hopefully the government have learned from that(doubtful) and started planning for future things.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭Cheap Thrills!

I wonder if that ship with the salt has arrived yet from Spain.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

I reckon we should go back to tungsten light bulbs, plasma tv's & leaded fuel - now they made for great summers. Save the planet, increase your co2 emissions today, provide a warmer future, think of the kids!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

I don't know what some people are worried about, If you saw were I live you might have a reason to worry. 5 inches of solid ice on my road for 5 weeks before it thawed out. The outdoor thermometer record -15 on several nights so big deal. I'll just stay out of Dublin, I was unfortunate to get caught there when a little sprinkling of fresh snow fell last January. They hadn't a fcuking clue what to do or how to drive in it. It took me 3 hours to get from Park West to Liffey Valley ffs!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭Kimono-Girl

How are we going to manage?

The same way we always manage pinky, try and take over the world! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Asphyxia

I'll be wearing my woolly jumper, Docs, scarf and fingerless gloves when I am out :D Extra blankets and lots of cuddling ;)

• Advertisement

Do the records really go back that far??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,149 ✭✭✭Patser

Invest in a nice warm hat now before the cold hits and the rush begins.

2ptpelw.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Scuid Mhór

Absurdum wrote: »
    who promised this? cuz they don't know **** yo

ain't no one gonna knock absurdum.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭flyton5

Any evidence of this OP?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Ross_Mahon

Call Mr. Plow,
    That's my name,
    That name again
    Is Mr. Plow!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭Greentopia

If the climate change experts are right then we'd better start getting used to much colder winters. It's here to stay.

Personally I don't mind the cold or snow as long as I'm warm indoors and if the councils grit the footpaths and roads enough.

Eight long harsh winters in Sweden with temperatures up to -20c where I was has toughened me up :D

If we have another winter like last year I suggest John Gormley takes a trip to Scandinavia to see how it's done in winter there-i.e. big budgets set aside for clearing all footpaths, roads and cycle lanes in cities and towns with snow ploughs out after the first fall of snow and keeping them cleared, huge reserves of salt and grit and cars owners changing over to winter tires (or studs in the frozen North).
    Not that we're ever going to be as efficient and prepared here in our little NAMA republic as those countries are :rolleyes:

Patser wrote: »
    Invest in a nice warm hat now before the cold hits and the rush begins.

2ptpelw.jpg

I'm a knitter, I make my own. Much warmer than any shop bought woolies ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭flyton5

Any proof of this? Anyone? Doesn't necessarily have to be the OP....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭ilovesleep

I dont mind the coldness. Its getting from A to B on time without breaking my ass. Last year was a real struggle.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Hope it is. Couldn't enjoy it last year because of my poxy job. Just got my notice though so if it doesn't snow, it'll all be for nothin' :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Rabble Rabble

This year will have an average winter.

You heard it here first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

Stephen wrote: »
    They won't. Nor will there be a single snowplough in the country. It'll be the same as last year, except maybe worse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

ff will make a fortune of the extra revenue added on to gas and oil...pity some old people and poor will freeze to death though!

Well they are not gonna make it from coal - because most of the solid fuel is coming down from the North nowadays .-
    bought for cash up there - sold for cash down here .

But wait , the government still have to introduce carbon tax on coal .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

EnterNow wrote: »
    I reckon we should go back to tungsten light bulbs, plasma tv's & leaded fuel - now they made for great summers. Save the planet, increase your co2 emissions today, provide a warmer future, think of the kids!

You do not understand climate change at all, do you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

temperatures are expected to drop as low as minus 15/minus 16.
    Not saying I disbelieve it will be a cold winter (ffs :mad:) but those temperatures seem unlikely for Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

I plan on staying warm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,195 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Hazys wrote: »
    ... our beer started to get all slushy once we took it out of the car!

That's what you get for buying weak beer!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Rabble Rabble

Dudess wrote: »
    Not saying I disbelieve it will be a cold winter (ffs :mad:) but those temperatures seem unlikely for Ireland.

they are a prediction for Russia. Seriously.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Was colder than that last year, atleast in Athlone and Galway it was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭alwaysadub

We had pretty close to them temps the last cold spell.
    Think where my sister lived it was -14, the coldest i had was -11. Would've said it wasn't possible in Ireland myself beforehand!

Anyway, i'm gonna dig out my electric blanket. Either that or get a man.
    Blanket's less hassle though..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 970 ✭✭✭dr ro

it was minus 11 last year. Anyway don't worry f fail will look after us. We're they're children.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 756 ✭✭✭Timistry

Its not going to happen. Snow chance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

This year will have an average winter.

You heard it here first.

unfortunately this poster is likely to be right. :(

while it maybe cold at times, it won't be anywhere near as severe as last Winter

so a dry Winter to come with temperature close to average or slightly below.
    I wonder will we see any headlines complaining about the NRA wasting money?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭sh1tstirrer

Since when can they forecast the weather a season in advance?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,980 ✭✭✭wyrn

Hopefully our Minister for Travel won't be on his holidays in Malta!
    I remember him on RTE saying "what could I do if I was here" - he could have at least been looking like he was trying to do his job. The country practically came to a standstill.
    "I can't think of one other item that could have been done if I was in the country which hasn't been done over the last four or five days. I don't think I would have been able to prevent the weather from happening whether I was in the country or out of the country," he said.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

No need to worry, sure our Government will have a plan in place before it happens.:pac::pac::pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

A load of bollocks. No way it'll be as cold as last year. Continental Europe might, but we'll be warm(er). Bog standard winter on the way, nothing to see here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭ilovesleep

galwayrush wrote: »
    No need to worry, sure our Government will have a plan in place before it happens.:pac::pac::pac:

What plan will that be? Tax us for the grit perhaps?

unfortunately this poster is likely to be right. :(

while it maybe cold at times, it won't be anywhere near as severe as last Winter

so a dry Winter to come with temperature close to average or slightly below.
    I wonder will we see any headlines complaining about the NRA wasting money?

You know this how?

The Indo. says otherwise:

"Long-term forecaster Positive Weather Solutions has predicted a 'white-out' winter almost as harsh as the last -- with widespread snow, temperatures as low as -16C and transport chaos."

Hope they're wrong!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 970 ✭✭✭dr ro

chaos is good

• Advertisement
Advertisement