Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

We are promised another very cold winter - how the hell are we going to manage.

2»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Conor108 wrote: »
    Wonder who'll fall over on RTE news this year...
    This winter everyone will be the fall guy. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭PeterIanStaker

Get under the covers and share the body heat. But wear protection because you dont want 18 years of woe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭flas

Dudess wrote: »
    Not saying I disbelieve it will be a cold winter (ffs :mad:) but those temperatures seem unlikely for Ireland.

minus 14 one night i was walking home in longford last winter!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,996 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Greentopia wrote: »
    You know this how?

The Indo. says otherwise:

"Long-term forecaster Positive Weather Solutions has predicted a 'white-out' winter almost as harsh as the last -- with widespread snow, temperatures as low as -16C and transport chaos."

Hope they're wrong!

well no-one can know for sure - but according to most long range forecasting experts the indications are the coming Winter will be notable only for how dry it is. They say temperatures will be around average or a little below throughout. Of course they could be wrong- i certainly hope they are and Positive Weather Solutions prove to be right again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭jackiebaron

ilovesleep wrote: »
    We are promised a cold winter and temperatures are expected to drop as low as minus 15/minus 16. Thats cold! If the experts are correct it will be the coldest winter in ireland in 1000 years. How are we going to manage? Surely it will make it extremely difficult to leave the house whether you are driving or on foot when it is extremely icy out. We need this like a fcuking hole in head.

Very simple. Do you know any Polish people? They endure temperatures like this back home every year. To them it's normal. Ask them what's the best way to dress. I'm sure they have excellent boots, rabbit fur gloves, hats, coats, etc for staying toasty in subzero temperatures. Irish men are used to going out in jeans, trainers and a jacket with no hat and hands burrowed into pockets, shoulders hunched and ciggy in corner of mouth because bundling up like a Russian is "not cool". Ask the experts. Also a hip-flask of Hennessy or Jameson, plenty of soup in the house. Christ if poverty-sticken Muscovites can comfortably weather a -40 winter so can you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

Coldest winter in 1000 years you say? Where did you pull that bull**** from? the same crap is said by oul Jim down in the pub every year. Its usually the same with summer too. "hottest summer in 15 years they say!"
    Coldest recorded temperature in Ireland was -19 degrees in 1881. I somehow doubt that we will get anywhere near that.

However I do hope we have a winter like one from January this year. Aside from disrupting everything and causing chaos I love the snow and cold, and I get to make friends with all the starving birds :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

What plan will that be? Tax us for the grit perhaps?

Yes, but only the lower paid and pensioners will be forced to pay it.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 241 ✭✭Dizraeligears

My predictiction for the winter is that no matter how cold it gets-
    You will be sure to see some gob****e going around in a t-shirt...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Cold Snap didnt bother me at all last year at all. I was pissed off when the country thawed out and the roads fell apart. Blew 2 tyres doing 25mph during a driving test, that was a fun day!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Long range forecasts don't work, but I love winter to be really, really cold. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭ilovesleep

This reminds me of the condom hat. I forget who wore it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 363 ✭✭Rockn

[ YOUTUBE]nteMp3OQu98[/YOUTUBE]
    Biggins wrote:
    This winter everyone will be the fall guy. :(
    If anyone spots an RTE cameraman about they could post on here and we could have a slip-on-the-ice flash mob.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Holden Caulfield

I hope it's the coldest, wettest, darkest and grimmest winter on record. And I hope it lasts too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭PanchoVilla

Greentopia wrote: »
    You know this how?

The Indo. says otherwise:

"Long-term forecaster Positive Weather Solutions has predicted a 'white-out' winter almost as harsh as the last -- with widespread snow, temperatures as low as -16C and transport chaos."

Hope they're wrong!

That guy must hate his parents.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭flyton5

"It's alright Dougal. According to the paper it's going to be a warm winter ahead."

"Ehhhh no Ted, that's last years paper."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭dexter647

lol... rem watching that live on 6 one in the pub...poor f...er! I'm sure he was fine??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭Greentopia

That guy must hate his parents.

Heh...
    Makes me all stabby when I hear any company with the word "solutions" in the title. Saw a local carpenter's van the other day with that word in the title of his business :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭MRPRO03

ITV had their own one:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

Forecasters can barely get their predictions correct for the next day let alone a few weeks in advance.

I have zero faith in meteorology.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 potterycourse

We are promised a cold winter...
    Very simple. Do you know any Polish people? They endure temperatures like this back home every year. To them it's normal.

= HTFU!

Let us all HTFU!

I'd love a cold one. Any excuse for these.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭laugh

cocoshovel wrote: »
    Coldest recorded temperature in Ireland was -19 degrees in 1881. I somehow doubt that we will get anywhere near that.

It was widely reported to be -20 at a roadside weather station near where I live in January.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭bowsie010

I feel sorry for all our animals friends with no warm (bon)*fire to curl up (in to)* next to

*=AH response.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

Dudess wrote: »
    Not saying I disbelieve it will be a cold winter (ffs :mad:) but those temperatures seem unlikely for Ireland.

There was recorded -17 in Carlow last year.
    It's not unlikely at all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Ebbs wrote: »
    Little packets of salt from MacDonalds.

Ive been saving mine from last Jan, Ill be prepared.
    :D:D;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭marcsignal

I'm putting the entire winter heating allowance on 'Chris the Sheep' :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

Gonna get me some of these yokes to stick on my boots
    http://www.yaktrax.com/pro

~B

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Burrrrrr it on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

Import in some Eskimos to give survival demonstrations

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

MRPRO03 wrote: »
    ITV had their own one:

But it lacks the cheerful innocence of the rte version.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Kippure

marcsignal wrote: »
    I'm putting the entire winter heating allowance on 'Chris the Sheep' :)

Fun-kin Hell...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

alwaysadub wrote: »
    Anyway, i'm gonna dig out my electric blanket. Either that or get a man.
    Blanket's less hassle though..

Get one of the fleecy ones with dual control. That way if you end up with a man AND an electric blanket you can make him feck off to his own cold side of the bed if he whines that electric blankets are for girls.

Get one of these as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

Thoie wrote: »

Get one of these as well.

Penneys have them cheaper!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

Honestly, myself and a few friends compared various versions, and the Penney's and Dunnes' ones didn't come out looking well. They were just "alright" as opposed to "Mmm, wow" of a lot of the others.

Advertisement