Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Should We Upgrade are Military And weapons?

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

dunsandin wrote: »
    Both my grandparents died in front line service in WW11. My father fought with destinction, I still have and cherish his medals. My son in law carries out the duties you all laud and respect and I respect him for it. I completed that marathon you mouth about. My surname is Warrior when translated, and this is my last post on Boards.
    Woah, your grandparents are from the future? World War eleven!? when/who/what/why/where?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭Donny5

Both my grandparents died in front line service in WW11. My father fought with destinction, I still have and cherish his medals. My son in law carries out the duties you all laud and respect and I respect him for it. I completed that marathon you mouth about. My surname is Warrior when translated, and this is my last post on Boards.

So were commissioned, then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭mawk

Donny5 wrote: »
    The new Gerald Ford class super-carriers the US are buying cost around $5 billion apiece. Between the F-35s and other aircraft to fly from her, you'd probably spend another $10 billion, so you could probably get three for the cost of the bank bail-out. Of course, we could always just buy two, and then have some cash spare to run them. Then we could sell all our land apart from Haulbowline. We'd need to repurpose the army to sailors, though, as the complement of the two would be over 9000!

Lawl

As would be their power!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,443 ✭✭✭Riddle101

I'm always in support of upgrading our military. But at the moment, I don't think it's possible with economic situation. However I'd never be against the idea if proposed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,204 ✭✭✭FoxT

That time the Polish Govt got wiped out in the air crash my 17 year old suggested that we invade Poland. He reckoned that if we just flew over in a helicopter with Mary Hearney in it & threatened to push her out, they would have surrendered.

Gets you thinking though, maybe we should build up an army to invade other countries at time of crisis. World domination is yer only man.

- FoxT

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭BigDuffman

Grandfather RSM, Grandfather Cpl, Father Sgt, I enlisted for Officer training. Family members are Heavy Artillery Cmmdr., Tank Cmmdr(UK), three tours in the Leb(Irl), and I wont bother listing the current serving members in the DF and AC.

Please allow me to introduce myself I'm a man of wealth and taste...:D

Regarding the tough keyboard / keyboard warrior quip. Am I correct in thinking the blood pressure is from the same poster who want's to take on the entire DF singlehandedly. Sure not? Pardon me whilst I holster my keyboard.

If any of that is remotely true then fair play to your DNA. Considering your standing on the shoulders of giants its a shame you cant see further.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Misanthrope

We should invent a secret weapon, way worse than a nuke.A death ray perhaps that can vaporise anything anywhere anytime.Then nobody would f*k with us.Then we can force the rest of the world to play hurling

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

FoxT wrote: »
    That time the Polish Govt got wiped out in the air crash my 17 year old suggested that we invade Poland. He reckoned that if we just flew over in a helicopter with Mary Hearney in it & threatened to push her out, they would have surrendered.

Gets you thinking though, maybe we should build up an army to invade other countries at time of crisis. World domination is yer only man.

- FoxT

America and Russia have nuclear weapons as their weapons of mass destruction, we have Mary Harney.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

50 years ago Ireland had several state of the art jets in the Aircorps.

Now we have gone completely back wards and have just a couple of propeller driven airplanes to replace them. :(
    Nah we didn't get the Vampires till '56 after they had retired from front line use in the RAF

The only time the air corps had "state of the art" fighters was when some RAF aircraft were interned during the war

http://www.military.ie/aircorps/history/index.htm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭BigDuffman

Could just get army cooks to introduce the Breakfast roll to America further adding to the chronic obesity in that country as a result their pilots and tanks drivers wont be able to fit into their vehicles!

• Advertisement
Advertisement