Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Don't want to confuse Springer Spaniel

Options
  • 20-10-2010 10:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭

OK, here's the score - our lovely 16 month springer used to have the run of our house (including upstairs) and used to sit in the office with me while I worked (work from home). I love having in the room with me, we keep each other company.

We had a baby in June, and moved house in August, and in the new house we decided that the dog wouldn't have the run of the house - he's confined to the (very large) kitchen and hall area. I prefer to keep the sitting room dog hair free. He's adapted to that fairly OK now...

I work from home, the office is upstairs... i'd love to have the dog in with me again BUT I don't want to confuse him now that we've trained him not to stray from his zone.

Can anyone tell me if this would be a good or a bad idea?
    thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

I think if you've now trained him to not go upstairs, if you now let him upstairs BUT only on your terms, that would be confusing for him. I'm in a similar situation with my dog and the upstairs but I think I want him upstairs purely for my own selfish reasons, he's quite happy downstairs and I don't want to confuse/upset him and I think it's the same for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

Do you use a laptop? Perhaps you could spend some of your day working in the kitchen?

Advertisement