Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crutches?

Options
  • 20-10-2010 10:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13

Where would one get crutches in Galway? Preferably for free. Actual crutches, not for Hallowe'en

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

CAI6 wrote: »
    Where would one get crutches in Galway? Preferably for free. Actual crutches, not for Hallowe'en

If you need them, would the doctor, hospital, not have given them to you?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

From anyone who has ever had a broken leg or sprain that required them. If you're given crutches in the hospital now you keep them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 CAI6

redsteveireland, after hobbling up to the doctor's office for the second time today for them to finally give me an appointment, they said to rest it, and to get a bike instead of walking. I can't rest it if I've to walk places, and I don't own a bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭galwayfreak

where are you i could loan you a pair

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭confuseddotcom

How long do you have to wait till your Appointment?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

We have a set at home, hospital wouldnt take them back after boyfriend tore ligaments in his ankle. You can have them, just have to ask himself where they are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭dolphin city

why would you connect wanting a pair of crutches for genuine reasons, to halloween which is not till the end of the month. Unless of course it IS for halloween. :D:D:D:D kind of like the toddler saying to the mother when she walks in the room.. I didn't break your best china mam.

surely if you have an injury that required crutches you would have gotten the crutches at the hospital.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭dolphin city

redsteveireland, after hobbling up to the doctor's office for the second time today for them to finally give me an appointment, they said to rest it, and to get a bike instead of walking. I can't rest it if I've to walk places, and I don't own a bike.

so the doctor tells you to cycle round to rest your leg, instead of walking?? what doctor is that?

surely if you have an injury that required crutches you would have gotten the crutches at the hospital.

I dont care - just happy to get rid of them!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

There's a thread in here recommending GP's: I'd suggest reading it and taking action accordingly.

Yes, I know it's harder if you've got a medical card, but still there must be ways of changing if you're getting that kind of incompetence.

As to the hospital not recycling equipment --- FFS --- no wonder they're over budget!

• Advertisement

I was seen by a nurse when I went in the second time.

I mentioned Hallowe'en because when I asked on FB someone replied with the joke shop or making my own.

I damaged a tendon, I wasn't in the hospital. You're not meant to go to the hospital unless it's an emergency or you were referred there by your gp.

She said to cycle because it would put less pressure on my foot than walking because I walk everywhere. And buses are awful.

Thanks, I don't need to change my GP. It was the college receptionist that wouldn't give me an appointment. I have my own doctor but the college one was free, and I wasn't planning on going, it just got too painful. I don't have my doctor's number.

Also, turns out I'm not allowed crutches unless I break my foot/leg. Suffering through it is

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭confuseddotcom

Jeez Louise! Even though I know it's no News-flash, the quality and care of our Hospitals levels comes into the Limelight regularly enough, just reading this Thread I'd hate to be comin to stay in Ireland lol!

Makes me hope I never get injured like that and am on my own, because feckin' hell, - it's seems a big enough battle to get to see some-one and to get the injury dealt with .....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Amhran Nua

My brother was out in Galway last week and he told me about a massive crutch-fight that happened outside some pub or other, dozens of people with crutches laying into each other. Seriously. Apparently its to do with a loophole in the firearms and offensive weapons act, which is why you see the usual suspects in Dublin trundling about with walking sticks these days. How bad has the state of the place gotten that an inquiry about crutches causes suspicion?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

Hoped my the Galway A+E in agony last year with a letter from my GP; Spent ages waiting, and when I was treated, my foot was completly bandaged as I had had mini surgery on it. I had to remind them I needed crutches, as I really couldn't hop anymore (I had been hopping for days). The nurse said "Oh yeah, you do don't you", and then when I asked what to do with them after she said to hold onto them. That was NEVER the case when I was a kid, and really wanted a go on crutches (for fun)!

JustMary wrote: »
    As to the hospital not recycling equipment --- FFS --- no wonder they're over budget!

Its something to do with having to clean and disinfect them after use, it would nearly cost them as much to do that than to replace them. Also reduces the risk of something being wrong with them after being used.

Jeez Louise! Even though I know it's no News-flash, the quality and care of our Hospitals levels comes into the Limelight regularly enough, just reading this Thread I'd hate to be comin to stay in Ireland lol!

Makes me hope I never get injured like that and am on my own, because feckin' hell, - it's seems a big enough battle to get to see some-one and to get the injury dealt with .....

I didn't go to the hospital, I wen't to the student health unit in college. It's free, and I was in college when I finally decided to get it seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

TillyGirl wrote: »
    Its something to do with having to clean and disinfect them after use, it would nearly cost them as much to do that than to replace them. Also reduces the risk of something being wrong with them after being used.

Is anyone else able to comment on practice overseas?

I was issued crutches, shower trolley and kitchen trolley in 2006, and was most certainly expected to return the lot (not in ROI).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

I got to keep my crutches in Canada, but in fairness I got plenty of use out of them (I'm quite talented when it comes to injuring myself)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭Dr McManus

University College Hospital Galway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭Dr McManus

I was issued crutches, shower trolley and kitchen trolley in 2006, and was most certainly expected to return the lot (not in ROI).

Crutches are regularly recycled in UK hospitals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

I'd say if you got trolleys or something like that here you'd have to return it too. I'd say you'd be unlikely to get them in the first place though sadly.

The story with crutches is different however and is the result of a court case a few years ago. Crutches were always returned to the hospital and recycled but a few years ago a lady got a recycled pair that the rubber stoppers on the end of the crutches had worn away on. She didn't realise,used them and had a fall that resulted in injury so she sued. As a result the HSE decided it was too dangerous to recycle the crutches in case a pair with worn stoppers were given out again and they were sued again.

I can see the logic there but then again you'd think someone could do a exam on the crutches returned to them and throw out any dodgy looking ones. Then again if they're likely to be hit with a big settlement if someone has another fall & blames the crutches maybe it makes better financial sense to not recycle them.They should charge non medical card holders a small fee for them like 10 or 20 euro perhaps.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement