Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Music Club??

Options
  • 20-10-2010 10:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭

Hi All,
    This may seem a bit daft!!!!! Are there any music clubs or societies around. By these I mean, places where adult amateur musicians informally meet to perform for each other. I am not interested in pub sessions merely a get-together for people to play their chosen instrument and be afforded the respect of being listened to, irrespective of their degree of proficiency.
    Surely there are other frustrated musicians out there who simply do not have enough opportunities to perform. I play classical guitar, do not attend any school or college, do not have a teacher and consequently little or no exposure to other musicians. Am I alone in this dilemma?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Silent Shrill

If you saw my thread above yours, you'll see you are not alone......there's 2 of us!......unfortunately you are in Dublin, I'm in Wexford. It seems the classical guitar is dying out there.......unless you're lucky enough to be born into it. I know it's a difficult instrument to master, but time and perserverance reaps it's rewards.
    I've been wanting to do as you're asking..........meet and play.......but it seems that:
    a) We're few and far between, or
    b) most classical guitar players do not want to meet & play
    I've often thought that if a bunch of us chose a location to meet & play, we might eventually get to play for money........I've love to do it for a living........but my thread resulted in a zero response.....even you did not put something up........so perhaps you might learn something from that.....perhaps your thread might get somewhere, I'll be watching.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Eph1958

Hi SilentShrill, apologies for not replying to your thread but I interpreted it as a request for lessons in the Wexford Area!!! I'm not sure how many CGs there are in Ireland or what they do for exposure. Little bit of a mystery to me, I have to say. I know a few guys who play acoustic etc and they do their bit at parties etc but that kind of atmosphere does not lend itself to CG. Other "proper" classical musicians don't seem to take us seriously, but they tend to have assemblies to play together like quartets, duets, orchestras etc. However I'm sure there are a few orphan pianists, violinists, cellists, wind and reed players looking for a small podium and a few appreciative ears to play to. Who knows, a few more interested people and maybe we could meet up half-way?

I wonder sometimes if CGs are just a lonesome lot.......most play solo. It's a bit of a mystery to me. I met 1 once, but he did not have the temperament to learn 1 full piece. I have not met 1 since. I've heard they exist.........but then I've heard that the Yeti exist, (I think there's been more sightings of the Yeti).
    Perhaps it's a state of, once you turn pro, you're too good for anyone else. There is an abundance of CGs that can play a tune,.........but playing for an hour is a bit different. That requires much more practise and determination. Playing by sight from notation is not what I do, luckily I can remember a piece of music once learnt, then it has to be played correctly...that is the hard part.....making it sound pleasurable to listen to.
    As I said in the last post, I'll keep an eye on the thread........see where it goes......maybe we'll end up meeting halfway.......it would certainly be good to meet a fellow cg.:cool:

Well I can't comment on the guys that turn pro.... it takes a special kind of skill to make a living out of an instrument. You touched on one of the problems I encounter and that is not learning a piece thoroughly enough. I have half learned a lot, but lose interest before knowing most of them fully. I felt that if I had to perform a piece in front of others I could become a lot more focused. In a way it would be a challenge and be excellent training. Preparing an entire hour for performance would be a huge undertaking and very daunting. I find it difficult to play from memory at the best of times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 912 ✭✭✭Norrdeth

• Advertisement

Norrdeth wrote: »

So that's what the rest of the guitarists are up to!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Interesting indeed. Not sure what to make of it. Thanks for the info:).

Norrdeth wrote: »

Yes........this does seem to be in the wrong direction of the thread. :confused:

You know........I always knew this classical section was visited by piano players/lovers, orchestra goers, few violinist's, the stereo-typical classical buff.
    One of the reasons you dont get cg's here is the instrument is too damn hard to play correctly, far harder than a violin, piano, wind instrument, etc. I know of 1 person that played the cg for years, then started on the piano.........he said the piano was far easier to learn.

I also purchased a cg from one man who said it was too hard, and said he was going back to the flute/whistle........as it was easier to play.

Those who are professional cg players, usually think they are too good to be attending forums like these.........I know of one Irish player that wears one glove on the hand "with the nails"........a well-known player.......when I heard this I said "is he a Michael Jackson fan?"........quite innocently, as I could not see any other explanation, untill I was told why.

From some of the threads I've looked at on this forum.....I'd say many of the visitors/posters are stuck-up snobs......and that's why classical music will never gather more support than it has.

I will not be coming back to boards.ie........too many ar-eholes! too much talking sh1te, and far too many "smart-asses". I'd say most posters cannot play cards let alone an instrument. So goodby cretins!

P.S.
    Bound to be some gobsh1te that says good-riddance to me........well
    UP YOURS! :D

Hi, hhmmmm....very frustrating. One of the reasons I chose CG was I thought it might be a bridge between the elitist classical musicians and the rest of the musical world. Don't know where it stands though. Looked down upon by the mainstream classical musicians and admired by a lot of so called ordinary musicians. Sort of a nowhere land.
    I don't know where it stands on the difficulty scale, but playing any instrument to performance standard is a serious challenge. I doubt if there are more than a few CGists who browse these pages.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭kawaii

From some of the threads I've looked at on this forum.....I'd say many of the visitors/posters are stuck-up snobs......and that's why classical music will never gather more support than it has.

I will not be coming back to boards.ie........too many ar-eholes! too much talking sh1te, and far too many "smart-asses". I'd say most posters cannot play cards let alone an instrument. So goodby cretins!

:confused:

I know this makes me a stuck-up snob/smart-ass...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 912 ✭✭✭Norrdeth

Smart ass?
    I study music, is that a bad thing??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

Guys just report the post, don't feed the troll.

Advertisement