Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Girl coming from abroad, renting in Dublin

Options
  • 20-10-2010 10:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭

Im seeing a girl who's currently not in the country. She'll be coming around christmas time and will be staying in Dublin for a year. She's coming to take an advanced english course here and will be looking for somewhere to rent for the year, she'll be staying with a family for about 2 weeks while she looks for somewhere, I of course will be helping her.

Im not from Dublin and not really familiar with the City or the outskirts at all. Im wondering if anyone could advise in areas to say. Coming from abroad price is important of course, and cheap is important. Of course I know Dublin is expensive all round. But just a simple 1 bedroom would be fine for her.

She's a bit conscious about somewhere safe too, anywhere can be safe and dangerous I know of course. So if anyone could advise on somewhere which might be a good place, itd be extremely helpful.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,388 ✭✭✭✭Victor

It would make sense to live somewhere accessible to study / work / shop / entertainment.

The city centre and D6 would be the dominant renting areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

House sharing is popular and the cheapest option.

Like Victor says, D6 is popular for students and is where I would pick. Rathmines is lively, Rathgar & Terenure are quieter and "older" neighbourhoods.

Depends on where she is studying too of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

Where will she be studying and/ or working?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

silja wrote: »
    Where will she be studying and/ or working?

She will be studying in the Eden School of English on Eden Quay, and she hasn't got work sorted out yet but hopefully in the new year she can get something.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭ebixa82

Why live with a family when you are here to find a place for her?
    Just go onto daft and do some researc..

It is much more expensive to live in a 1 bedroom apartment. Almost twice the price as sharing a 2 bed plus all bills must be paid by her. Basically this isn't a realistic option.

Just find a central city centre apartment and make sure she does not share with anyone from her home country as it will do her english no favours.

If she's going to college on Eden Quay then anywhere along LUAS line, IFSC, D1 are fine. Inner city is fine as long as she exercises common sense. Talbot St. is known for junkies and dealing but I've lived here for 5 years and have never had any problems, day or night.

My spanish female flatmate walks home every night she's out and never feels unsafe. However nowhere is 100% safe!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭liger

hmmm wrote: »
    House sharing is popular and the cheapest option.

Like Victor says, D6 is popular for students and is where I would pick. Rathmines is lively, Rathgar & Terenure are quieter and "older" neighbourhoods.

I do see a lot of students like your friend getting on the bus at broadford in Ballinteer, lots of rooms to rent up there. But as stated above D6 is also popular and would have easy access to city with the 15's starting off on eden quay.

Advertisement