Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Soaking seeds ahead of planting

Options
  • 20-10-2010 10:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭

Is there any recommended way to do this? Is it okay to put a load of seeds together in a basin full of water, or do I need to soak in small quantities or anything?
    Sorry I have a feeling this is a dumb question but I'm new to this and wanting to learn the basics properly.

Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,437 ✭✭✭✭looksee

So long as you have seeds and water combined it doesn't matter, I usually just put seeds in a shallow dish and add water to just cover. Only do it with seeds that are recommended to be soaked though, most seeds don't need it.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭jezko

looksee wrote: »
    So long as you have seeds and water combined it doesn't matter, I usually just put seeds in a shallow dish and add water to just cover. Only do it with seeds that are recommended to be soaked though, most seeds don't need it.

I do it with Sweet pea seeds... luke warm water for up to 6 hours... Read once it improves the germination levels..

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭artieanna

I agree only some seeds need soaking like the sweet pea also anemone corms. I can't think of any others

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭maringo

Parsley seeds need soaking overnight too:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,685 ✭✭✭flutered

it helps sweet pea to pour hot water over them when planting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭Freemount09

pog it wrote: »
    Is there any recommended way to do this? Is it okay to put a load of seeds together in a basin full of water, or do I need to soak in small quantities or anything?
    Sorry I have a feeling this is a dumb question but I'm new to this and wanting to learn the basics properly.

Cheers!

Hi Lads, sorry for dragging up this old thread but just saw it now.

Most of ye probably know this but if your sowing grass seed then you should soak the seeds in whiskey overnight !!

This way, when it grows it'll be half cut already !!! BOOM BOOM !! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭dh0661

Most of ye probably know this but if your sowing grass seed then you should soak the seeds in whiskey overnight !!

This way, when it grows it'll be half cut already !!! BOOM BOOM !! :D[/QUOTE

LOL - Humour boards is >>>>> that way :rolleyes:

Advertisement