Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it discrimination?

Options
  • 20-10-2010 11:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

Hi,

I was recently rejected for a group "income protection policy" which would be 100% funded by my employer. I had an operation 3 years ago and have made a 100% recovery but I was still rejected by friends first.

My question is should my employer offer me the value of the policy via my salary as I feel i am being discriminated against.

Anyone any thoughts on this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭tenchi-fan

Hmmm.. it's a tricky one. Three points though..

1. The premium for PHI policies can vary according to the person, the age they are when they took it out, their occupation, their health, the term, whether premiums are reviewable and their smoker status. So how much do you expect to be reimbursed when your premium is simply €null?

2. What's in it for them? You need to consider the company's reason for offering a phi policy - Namely employee wellbeing. It gives the employee a sense of security and therefore results in improved employee satisfaction. In other words, the company has nothing to gain by paying you the equivalent of the premium.
    If the company had a fun day that involved go-karting that cost €50 per person, but due to epilepsy you were unable to participate, would you insist on the €50?

3, Also, I don't think it's discrimination. An extreme example. Staff at XYZ limited are entitled to a staff rate loan of up to 3 months salary at a preferential rate of 2% instead of the market rate of 15%. Betty is 64, earns €4k a month and is due to retire next year. She was rejected credit facilities on account of her age and ability to repay. Should the company compensate Betty 13% * €12k that she potentially would benefit if she took out a loan and was 20 years younger?

Sorry if that's too complicated or convoluted! I know the examples are bizarre but it was an interesting question.

By my reckoning.. there's no harm in asking but I wouldn't make a big deal out of it if they refuse.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,315 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

From what I understand what you're saying is not that the company rejected your participation but that the third party did. This is not something the company can do a whole lot about since all they offer was service X with company Y and company Y rejected your application.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭gerrycollins

Nody wrote: »
    From what I understand what you're saying is not that the company rejected your participation but that the third party did. This is not something the company can do a whole lot about since all they offer was service X with company Y and company Y rejected your application.

I agree

while the offer is excellent (first Ive ever heard of it) its not your employer who is preventing you its the insurance co.

Can you not seek other insurers yourself and see will the company pay that premium?

Advertisement