Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

laser card issue help please

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭tenchi-fan

i did approach him but to no avail he said as far as he knew the money was taken from the coustemers account once it was autorised and that there was very little he could do about it

Hmm it's sort of your fault for not keeping track of outstanding transactions! It might be an idea to pay by cash in future.

I don't think it's fair to expect the shop to pay. They pay enough business banking charges.

The bank.. they could waive fees as a goodwill gesture, particularly if the merchant terminal was also a BOI machine.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,921 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

I'm not sure how much they'd be willing to waive, it's technically not their fault that this happened. There is an onus on the customer to keep track of their accounts, however this seems to be an exceptional case. I don't understand how a merchant could leave it as long as 6 months without batching their machine, that's just madness. The fact that he thought the money was removed from the account instantly also shows a certain amount of ignorance on his part. As you've mentioned that you're planning on moving your accounts, the bank may refund some of it on a goodwill gesture in an effort to keep your business.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭3DataModem

Argh the stupid Laser system. The sooner it's replaced with proper VISA debit the better.

3DataModem wrote: »
    Argh the stupid Laser system. The sooner it's replaced with proper VISA debit the better.

Laser transactions cost the merchant 15c. Visa debit costs 1.5% of the transaction amount. Say goodbye to cash back.

tenchi-fan wrote: »
    Laser transactions cost the merchant 15c. Visa debit costs 1.5% of the transaction amount. Say goodbye to cash back.

Wrong on all 3 counts.
    (1) Laser costs a different amount for each shop and each acquirer. Most pay more than double 15c.
    (2) Visa Debit also costs a different amount for every merchant and acquirer too. The underlying cost is more like 30 or 40 cents, definitely NOT a percentage of the value. Maestro is even cheaper again.
    (3) Visa Debit supports cashback... at potentially higher amounts.

• Advertisement

Wrong on all 3 counts.
    (1) Laser costs a different amount for each shop and each acquirer. Most pay more than double 15c.
    (2) Visa Debit also costs a different amount for every merchant and acquirer too. The underlying cost is more like 30 or 40 cents, definitely NOT a percentage of the value. Maestro is even cheaper again.
    (3) Visa Debit supports cashback... at potentially higher amounts.

I'm going by what our company is charged by AIB merchant services. 15c for laser and 1.5% for credit cards and visa debit. Maybe this excludes money provided as cash back. But my friend was in a pub and they would not give him cashback on his visa debit card.

In addition there is a separate charge for realex which includes a certain number of transactions, anything over that amount is charged per transaction.

Also, laser transactions used to be capped at €1500 but the limit was scrapped recently so I'm not sure if you're right about saying visa debit limits are higher. So basically you're saying I'm wrong while your post seems to be short on facts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

tenchi-fan wrote: »
    Hmm it's sort of your fault for not keeping track of outstanding transactions! It might be an idea to pay by cash in future.

I don't think it's fair to expect the shop to pay. They pay enough business banking charges.

The bank.. they could waive fees as a goodwill gesture, particularly if the merchant terminal was also a BOI machine.

You mean Elavon? Who are not owned by BOI? Good luck with that.....

I find it crazy that the retailer did not batch out the card transactions. Must not have missed the money as he wouldn't have been paid for 6 months.

It happened to me once..... Bucks on Leeson St "forgot" to charge my credit card many years ago for a bottle of vinegar (:rolleyes:). It took them 6 months to cop on. Was only 20 quid or something. If it was in the one shop with numerous transactions over the course of 6 months, I'd be well p1ssed off and I'd want some sort of gratuite. It's bad enough having to hand over money to most places these days (for numerous reasons) but the retailer not taking same for 6 months is taking the p1ss.

That is not a bad rate for Laser, depending on how much Realex are hitting you for.

The 1.5% rate for Visa almost certainly applies to Europe only... only charging that for interregional traffic would put them out of business as it would be below cost.

If you generally sell to Ireland only then you may be aware that Visa debit transactions are costing AIBMS only about 26c at most, more likely 10c or so (see here; http://www.visaeurope.com/idoc.ashx?docid=3e03c9aa-855f-4ccc-b0ff-7dd08a6506fd&version=-1).

Of course they also have to pay the (very small) scheme assessment... I can't reveal AIBMS' actual scheme fee on a public forum, but I assure you it aint much.

I totally appreciate that these 'buy' rates aren't available to the average retailer (especially where a gateway / switch like Realex is needed) but the acquirers margin shouldn't really be too much more.

And if we want to discuss Mastercard debit... well that is even cheaper still. 0.18% plus 5c per transaction interchange plus - maybe - another 5c or 10c in assessments. Stick on a margin for the acquirer (and gateway if you need it) and you are still very competitive with Laser.

The max cash back on Laser is e100 and most banks enforce a lower amount. The Visa Debit max is generally higher... but a lot of Visa merchants in Ireland still don't do cash back yet because they didn't need to when they set up.

By the way I'd love to know what transaction fee Realex are asking for?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,625 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

OP have you contacted the bank?

Could you be a right pr1ck about it and query each one and make the retailer produce proof of each transaction?

I doubt he is organised enough to produce these!

By the way I'd love to know what transaction fee Realex are asking for?

http://www.realexpayments.com/eu/business-solutions
    350 included transactions per month for a monthly fee of €29, and excess transactions are charged at €0.12. No setup fee

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 renelounger

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    OP have you contacted the bank?

Could you be a right pr1ck about it and query each one and make the retailer produce proof of each transaction?

I doubt he is organised enough to produce these!

never thought of that i will go with this and hope i get something back if not it is a lesson learned, one i will not forget. thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭kaiser sauze

never thought of that i will go with this and hope i get something back if not it is a lesson learned, one i will not forget. thanks.

Yep, not a bad idea.

However, if you challenged any items as they had no documentation they might produce security camera footage and could certainly attest to your regular custom.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

Yep, not a bad idea.

However, if you challenged any items as they had no documentation they might produce security camera footage and could certainly attest to your regular custom.
    all shops have to keep a copy of all laser and credit card transactions for up to 3 years i think so he prob has them filed away and could produce them for you fairly quick.well that was the case in any shop where i worked and some shops even store the copys of the each transaction for up to 5 years

• Registered Users Posts: 13 NiallerMc

Chargeback Reason Code 74 is issued when card issuers receive a transaction after the 30-day time frame, within which a transaction needs to be deposited

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,921 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Locking as thread is over one year old.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement