Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

pillar drill trouble

Options
  • 20-10-2010 11:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13

hi folks,
    brand new to this and just happened to come across it by accident.
    really chuffed about all this.
    Anyways just bought a Logan pillar drill.problem is it didnt come with an manual and i havent a clue how to set up the speeds on it.
    It has 3 pulley wheels on top with two v belts to run it.
    every time i go to drill(ie timber plugs) the chuck will jam and not go round until i release it and bring it down again.
    There doesnt seem to be any power to it at all.
    its a logan pillar drill,single phase,750W with rpm of 1400.

any help would be very very much appriciated.
    Thanks in advance!!!

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,328 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

Hi gaudy I can't find much on the logan drill but try this PDF it might help you set it up. just copy this to your search and download.

Download Instructions PDF - GDM95BX, GDM140F.

Also this may help.
    http://www.pillardrill.net/changing-the-speed-of-your-drill/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 gaudy

fergal.b wrote: »
    Hi gaudy I can't find much on the logan drill but try this PDF it might help you set it up. just copy this to your search and download.

Download Instructions PDF - GDM95BX, GDM140F.

Also this may help.
    http://www.pillardrill.net/changing-the-speed-of-your-drill/

thanks fergal.didnt expect anyone to hear of this pillar drill as it was only cheap and i only wanted it for small jobs.
    the power was the main thing so ill try it on my own one and see will it work.

cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭MathsManiac

You might have the speed set too fast for the job and/or the pulleys mightn't be tight enough.

I've a cheap-and-cheerful bench drill from lidl, with a similar set up on top (two pulleys).

For a start, if you want to get the slowest speed, you need to have one belt going from the smallest pulleywheel on the driveshaft (the one connected to the motor) to the largest available pulleywheel on the middle (idling) shaft, and the other pulley going from the smallest available pulleywheel on the middle shaft to the largest available on the load shaft (connected to the drill chuck).

There is probably a means of tightening / loosening the pulley belt tension. On mine, you loosen a wingnut and you can slide the motor housing forward, bringing the shafts closer together to ease the tension, or push it back to tighten.

Advertisement