Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LCD TV Screen cracked

Options
  • 20-10-2010 11:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭

Hi everyone,

I have a month old LG 42'' LCD TV and there is a crack the size of a small coin on the screen.

It doesnt appear to be too damaged but there is a ring of distorted colour around the crack.

It was bought in Currys and I am wondering whether it can be exchanged as it was like it in the box.

Just put up with it to avoid the hassle but it is affecting the viewing now.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

neo2010 wrote: »
    It doesnt appear to be too damaged but there is a ring of distorted colour around the crack.
    Sorry, but it doesn't appear to be damaged, yet there's a crack? What do you mean by this?

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭neo2010

To be specific, it seems the crack is behind the outermost layer of the LCD.

As in if you run your finger over the damaged area, it feels perfect.

The crack is inside the screen itself, not on the outside.

If that makes sense.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭sesna

Hi everyone,

I have a month old LG 42'' LCD TV and there is a crack the size of a small coin on the screen.

It was bought in Currys and I am wondering whether it can be exchanged as it was like it in the box.

Probably more hassle now that you've left it a month. Makes it look like it was fine when you bought it and subsequently became damaged.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Over 28 days, it'll be shipped back to the manufacture.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

Hi everyone,

You should have returned it immediately to avoid the hassle.

You would have received a replacement there and then.

Now you have a hassel, they'll say you did it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

You may have a lot of trouble with this. If it was a manufacturing defect, and there when you bought it, then you should have told them immediately. Since you didn't, they could reasonably accuse you of breaking it. If that's the case, then you won't get any recourse.

You should first go back to the shop, speak with a manager and explain the situation, and ask if they'll take it back for repair/replacement. If they refuse (which is possible, given that this could be user damage) I don't know there's a lot you can do.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

You won't automatically get a replacement since that was offered by Curry's under their 28-day returns policy. However you are entitled to negotiate for it as it is still one of the 3 options allowed for under consumer law. You're not necessarily entitled to a replacement (unless it forms part of a contract), either party can accept or refuse any unreasonable offer.

I think they'll most likely suggest you make a warranty claim yourself. If you refuse you'll probably be offered a repair (a) because Curry's will just ship it off to the manufacturer as a warranty claim anyway and (b) it's no cost to Curry's.

If you want a replacement you may have to negotiate for it but they would be entitled to refuse.

Advertisement