Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baffled with this networking problem...

Options
  • 21-10-2010 12:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭

Laptop refuses to join my network, wired or wirelessly. Have reset the TCP/IP, Netshell, etc... Basically it cannot get a network address. If I change the tcp/ip settings and enter manual address it still will not work. Also, after applying changes, i.e.

Show icon in notification area when connected

the whole windows explorer crashes and restarts.
    XP 32bit.

Any ideas on where I am going wrong?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

Danno wrote: »
    Laptop refuses to join my network, wired or wirelessly. Have reset the TCP/IP, Netshell, etc... Basically it cannot get a network address. If I change the tcp/ip settings and enter manual address it still will not work. Also, after applying changes, i.e.

XP 32bit.

Disable all but one wired nic (incl disabling the wireless nic). Then try again. Other than that you could use something like wireshark and watch what is going on.

Do you or did you have a firewall? If yes, which one?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭runswithascript

Danno wrote: »

XP 32bit.

Are you saying IE crashes all the time anyway? That's usually fixed easily in Control Panel >> Internet Options:

Clear the cache, cookies, history and everything else apart from passwords and bookmarks in the general tab. In the connections tab clear all Dial up and VPN connections and bottom right of connections tab LAN settings, uncheck all boxes. Then in the advanced tab restore default/advanced settings & hit apply, then reset. Must be done when IE is closed. If that doesn't fix IE you will need to download it, or preferably Firefox, with Start >> Run // All Programs >> Accessories >> Run >>>> iexplore www.firefox.com - launches some built in under the hood version of IE that usually works when the main install is broken. You will of course need your network connection.

What is the exact output from ping? This can be many different things so when you answer this please specify more than 'no reply'.

Which version of Windows, what exact commands did you use to reset TCP/IP, and did you run command prompt as administrator?

If you're using a version of Windows that has it, have you disabled TCP/IP v6?

Have you tried the loopback test by pinging localhost 127.0.0.1?

Firewall? If you know what you're doing, disable it and make sure it stays disabled while you try to resolve this issue.

Does another client work on the same LAN port?

When DHCP enabled, not static IP, what does the tooltip say when you mouse over the LAN icon in the system tray bottom right of your screen?

Forget about the wireless connection for now, get it working on the LAN first as there are less variables.

Oh, and almost most importantly, have you confirmed the computer will work on other LANs and WLANs since this issue arose? Doesn't matter if you tested a week ago, hardware/software can fail any time.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

dusf wrote: »
    Are you saying IE crashes all the time anyway?
    Nope, Windows Explorer... explorer.exe, not iexplore.exe
    What is the exact output from ping? This can be many different things so when you answer this please specify more than 'no reply'.
    Limited or no connectivity, regardless of obtaining automatic IP addy or manually entering in one to suit the router. Router is not the problem other PCs are fine on it wired and wireless. Have reset the router too just in case
    Which version of Windows,
    XP 32 bit
    what exact commands did you use to reset TCP/IP, and did you run command prompt as administrator?
    Yes, WinsockxpFix - popular utility.
    If you're using a version of Windows that has it, have you disabled TCP/IP v6?
    No V6 on this.
    Have you tried the loopback test by pinging localhost 127.0.0.1?
    That does work
    Firewall? If you know what you're doing, disable it and make sure it stays disabled while you try to resolve this issue.
    Standard XP inbuilt firewall - have reset it to default settings - no joy either with firewall off.
    Does another client work on the same LAN port?
    Another PC/Laptop will work fine using this cable from this LAN port.
    When DHCP enabled, not static IP, what does the tooltip say when you mouse over the LAN icon in the system tray bottom right of your screen?
    Limited or no connectivity.
    Forget about the wireless connection for now, get it working on the LAN first as there are less variables.
    Will do.
    Oh, and almost most importantly, have you confirmed the computer will work on other LANs and WLANs since this issue arose? Doesn't matter if you tested a week ago, hardware/software can fail any time.
    Only one eircom router in the house, no other way of checking but two other PCs and two other laptops are humming along fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Knasher

First thing you could try is connecting one of the laptops directly to one of the other machines with static IPs on both and then try pinging.

I'd also get a linux distro, put it on a USB stick and boot from it. If it doesn't work from there, then its most likely an issue with your router. If it does then its a Windows issue.

If its a router thing then you need to tell us what type of router you have and if you've made any changes to it. If its a windows issue then I'm not sure what you can do beyond reinstalling.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭runswithascript

Just for kicks it won't hurt to try manually resetting TCP/IP while you're at it.

On XP I believe you need to be logged in as the administrator, or run command prompt as administrator.

netsh int ip reset reset.txt (and enter)

netsh (and enter)

dump (and enter)

reboot.

Still not working? Get online and reinstall the driver, they're easily found and it won't take you 5 minutes.

Failing that can we please get a paste of the output for ipconfig /all, and the ping when configured for DHCP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Funnily enough, with the Vodafone USB Dongle connected, the wireless works, however the wired won't. Despite this, the wireless is using the WZC service, not the Mobile Connect Software provided by Voda. Very Strange!!!

Advertisement