Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MMO recommendations

Options
  • 21-10-2010 1:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 54,397 ✭✭✭✭

Iv always wanted to play MMO games but couldn't because I didnt have broadband but I finally got broadband there a few months ago.

Im kinda sick of FPS so Maybe some RPG MMO games or something along those lines would do

I reckon alot of the top MMO's have a price tag which im willing to pay if reasonable too

So any recommendations please (somthing newbie friendly :))

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

There's a reason Warcraft is sitting on a pile of MMORPG corpses, that should be your first port of call.

Lotro is also good, though is a total suck-fest when it comes to PvP, very purdy but lacks a real edge to it. Its greatest strength (ie. tolkiens works) is also its real weakness, they're limited what they can do story-wise and it can all seem a bit jaded at times.

And then there's Eve, which while somewhat less forgiving is more open ended. I quite like the feeling the rug can be pulled out from under you should stray into the wrong place or just happen to be in the wrong place. But that's not something everyone likes. If you don't like PvP this is not the game for you.

I've tried pretty much everything else and seem to find myself alternating between those ones.

EVE ONLINE

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭ArthurG

EVE ONLINE

Wouldn't EVE be a bit tough for the MMO newcomer?. I'll admit I've never played it, but this piece of analysis made me pause and consider whether I would want to!!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

ArthurG wrote: »
    Wouldn't EVE be a bit tough for the MMO newcomer?. I'll admit I've never played it, but this piece of analysis made me pause and consider whether I would want to!!

Eve is definitely tougher to get into then other MMO's, but don't dismiss it out of hand. It's a massive game, where players can have a far greater impact on the game then any other MMO. Entire sectors change hands on a regular basis, with massive wars happening all the time.

The one tip that anyone playing Eve needs to listen to...Do the tutorial.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Playboy

Give Warhammer online a try. Its got a free endless trial. Make as many characters as you like but you cant go over level 11. It has a nice mix of pvp and pve. The game had a lot of issues at launch but has rectified most of them and now looks a really good game. Me and another are playing atm and are still relatively a low level as we have been trying out all the new classes. Give me a shout if you feel like joining!

Also Age of Conan is worth trying out. Again a lot of issues at launch but has now fixed a lot of those issues. Beautiful gfx and great combat system although people seem to think there is a lack of end game content.

Eve is great but I found that its very difficult to get anywhere or get any satisfaction from it unless you are prepared to give over your life to it. Its an absolutely brilliant game but I just prefer something more casual.

Wow is the King at the moment but is not my cup of tea personally .. its more of a pve/raiding focus rather than pvp at endgame. You will have fun leveling etc but expect to have a lot of catching up to do to compete.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,318 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

You can't go wrong with WoW honestly; it is the game all other MMOs are being compared to (more or less favourably). WoW also have the benefit of being casual (casual meaning you can get things done in only 30 min etc. instead of needing to be online for hours) and has a fast leveling pace. It has low system specs, looks nice and has a lot of hidden humour.

Eve on the other hand makes any other MMO look like kindergarten for the drama going on including RL threats etc. It is for all intent and purpose a big sandbox where you make your own game out of it. It tends to be quite brutal as a MMO and very unforgiving (if you do start it play ALL tutorials and then go join Eve University as first thing out of them; trus tme on that one).

This is a classic picture which has been around for quite a while on Eve skill level as well :D
    eve.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 54,397 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

cheers lads for the advice

I might give WOW a shot but I hate being so late to start a game ya know

is there any new MMO coming out soon that look promising?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,318 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Headshot wrote: »
    cheers lads for the advice

I might give WOW a shot but I hate being so late to start a game ya know

is there any new MMO coming out soon that look promising?
    Beauty of WoW is that a new expansion (Catalyst) is due out in November; so there will be a lot of people starting new characters (two new races available) to play with. On top of this WoW makes it very easy to level and gear up (you'd be max level and ready to raid in a month or three at casual gaming basically) so starting now don't hurt that much compared to other MMOs.

There are a few reasons for this but the main one really lies in the gear reset; this means that with every expansion / major new dungeon all previous gear gets outdated so everyone has to gather up the latest one. Hence the gear that a person had gathered 2 expansions ago is no longer needed and both of you will end up in the same quest gear at 85 when you start to tackle the latest raid boss etc.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

It has to be WOW, ive played countless other MMOs and i always come back to wow.
    Some say the graphics are poor i dont, they suit the game abslutely perfectly, the attention to detail is superb.
    Gameplay wise its also fantastic especially the first time round.
    After you max out your characters level then the game really starts,raiding is why i always return to wow, no other MMO has come close to the sheer content and indeed quality of wow raids imo.
    Im not subscribed atm but i always take a break during the summer months, long evenings coming the inevitable will happen soon and even more so once the expansion arrives.

Regarding new MMOs coming, Guild Wars 2 looks great as does the new Old Republic .

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Dcully wrote: »
    After you max out your characters level then the game really starts

Noooooooooo!

Seriously though, take your time and enjoy the levelling process. While most people seem to agree that the game starts at lvl80, i will always prefer the early levels. Anyone who suggests rushing to 80 (and i know you weren't Dcully) is plain wrong.

You're definitely right about Guild Wars and The Old Republic though.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Kiith wrote: »
    Noooooooooo!

Seriously though, take your time and enjoy the levelling process. While most people seem to agree that the game starts at lvl80, i will always prefer the early levels. Anyone who suggests rushing to 80 (and i know you weren't Dcully) is plain wrong.

You're definitely right about Guild Wars and The Old Republic though.

No i dont mean rush to 80 at all, its incredible to take your time to 80 first time round after that and once you sample raiding you will want to rush to 80 all the time afterwards :)

Hey man. I gave eve a go last year. You get 3 weeks free trial so nothing to lose. I only quit cause i dont have windows anymore.

Try world of tanks as well, my mate is playing that at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭KoKane

How long have you been playing FPS games?

You might find yourself to be very competitive and become a pvp lover, in which case you may want to consider Darkfall Online.
    Maybe for your first MMO... It might be a little bit too hardcore..

The archery in it, you need to aim higher to shoot at distance, and lead your shots into a moving target (aiming ahead of someone).

Melee is swinging your weapon (obviously :p) but aiming with the mouse.
    Melee is 3rd person.

Magic is like archery. They are both first person aiming.. but there are different speeds, range etc etc of the magic available.. There are splash damage spells but there are also precision spells known as Rays and are instant cast spells but require direct hit and nice hand eye coordination.

Its more demanding in all areas of PvP skill.

In Darkfall, its full loot.
    So if you kill someone, you can gank them (finish them - unless their head was cut off lol) and then loot every single item they were carrying.
    Ofcourse it can happen to you, but it works out no problem.

Its a seamless world too, with no instances and zoning.

Population is low right now, moreso on EU than NA, but it doesnt compare to other MMOs since it plays so differently and right now its one of a kind.

The developers havent even advertised the game yet so who knows how it will progress. Big expansion due by the end of this year (probly next year knowing the ****ers)

There is large scale warfare in Darkfall.
    City sieges for example. You can siege another guilds city, to challenge them for ownership.
    You must destroy a % amount of the total walls of the city and then the next day when the siege goes 'live' you fight to control the Bindstone area, which you then destroy the bindstone to claim it.

Some siege videos:
    http://www.own3d.tv/video/35360/Pand...10.2010_Part_1
    http://www.own3d.tv/video/35366/Pand...10.2010_Part_2

Thats a recent siege that took place the other day. The defenders recorded this video. They are a casual german guild..
    The attackers are one of the strongest small elite guilds on the server atm but the defenders won.
    You can see its a choke point siege. Small narrow tunnels etc.

Lots of wall of forces(the large bubble that slows people) going off and confusions(blinding spell). Very annoying in areas like that.
    The attackers chose those tunnels to place their siege stones (if you get sieged, you must destroy the attackers siege stones they place, up to 3 of them - or their city if they own one).
    The attackers in that vid wanted to use the small tunnels to their advantage, knowing the defenders would outnumber them a little.. in a hope to make the defenders cluster up and cause problems for themselves.

All of the cities in the game can be destroyed/disabled at any time outside of a siege. In the beginning of the game, they werent built and guilds and alliances gathered the wood and stone and iron from the world around them to build them. (you have to gather or trade other players for your resources you need).

There are 'hamlets' in the game too. They arent cities but they are player owned holdings. Just with a couple of houses and a bank, some basic stuff with small amount of bindslots for people to live out of.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZMmlhVIk2ck&feature=related
    Theres one showing Frost Coast. A very defendable city perched up on an icy cliff with 1 access ramp that has seen its fair share of corpses, waves of men have died trying to breach that city like that.
    You can see in the vid, a Ship of The Line is spawned in an attempt to lure out some defenders.

Here is a siege vid for a hamlet: its in 4 parts but worth a watch.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YlrsS4Id_YE
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KEJCyrytImM
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xX4FCvKRXFE
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDQvI8MPZzo

This one is nicely made. An alliance got 3 sieges dropped on them at once...
    Back in those days it only took 6 hours untill the siege went live and the fighting started. Now it takes 22 hours.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XY5Wu1U3-ps (Val Roth Quadsiege prt1)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EIV-djxIOik (Val Roth Quadsiege prt2)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EOTg-K1KZwg (Val Roth QuadSiege prt3)

One more:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPQwfKzV4-E&feature=related
    :)

OH heres an Irish one. :D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JlMIjOwaz5c
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p90sA8gV5P0

Sieges arent everything..
    There are whats called Sea Towers for example.

On the northern half of the world there is one and another on the southern ocean.

Basically a giant fortress in the ocean where people must go on their ships.
    There is naval warfare aswell.. and dont forget, you have to build your boats and there are some big ass ships that take some effort from entire guilds.
    You gotta shoot the top of the fortress with your ship cannons to get the reward into your clan bank.
    So you get lots of ships coming down for some fighting, or just some groups of people coming on rafts, to try board enemy ships, to drive off or take the tower or whatever.

Heres one vid from the captains perspective. The camera changes.
    The ship here is a Frigate. Very large and expensive... but it kicks ass and means trouble.
    Further into the vid they encounter a Ship of the line and engage in a shootout to the death.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CLcF_MHK9dQ
    Heres another angle from within the ship:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzZwce5ehow

beware the kraken ofcourse...
    There are some monsters too if you're into that

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vqdYg5qKLMY&feature=related
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NctL82Ic0JQ&feature=related

personally... I prefer this style over the generic linear progression style of mmo's like WoW, where you press TAB to aim and buttons 1 through 9 for spells etc (its a little more than that but those are the basics).

I downloaded the client for darkfall and signed up for the trial .. but when I try and sign into the game it cant connet to the server? Am i doing something silly? I havent bothered to really try and figure it out or email the company

Hmm.. Not sure. There were no trials when I started.

You downloaded the whole client? Should be a few gig.
    And you've made your account and all?

Oh there is server maintenance every day around this time but its only down for an hour or so.
    Did it show the servers all online?

Did it say patching complete on the top part in small white text?
    You click the character thingy in the middle then hit Play.

Might wanna turn off shadows in settings too if/when you get in game.
    I dont know of many people with a machine that can play with shadows turned on and not have performance problems.

Did you download EU client and are you trying to log into EU account?

KoKane wrote: »
    Hmm.. Not sure. There were no trials when I started.

You downloaded the whole client? Should be a few gig.
    And you've made your account and all?

Oh there is server maintenance every day around this time but its only down for an hour or so.
    Did it show the servers all online?

Did it say patching complete on the top part in small white text?
    You click the character thingy in the middle then hit Play.

Might wanna turn off shadows in settings too if/when you get in game.
    I dont know of many people with a machine that can play with shadows turned on and not have performance problems.

Did you download EU client and are you trying to log into EU account?

There is a 14 day free trial. I downloaded the client and created an account. Not sure if there are seperate account and game logins? The download was a few gigs yes... downloaded it by torrent from the darkfall site. When I run the game a box pops up which asks me for my login in details. I put in the account details I used to download the client but it says connection to server timed out. It did connect once and patch but I couldnt hit the play button afterwards. When I closed the window and tried to recconect I got the same message :/

If you can log in to your account via the website, http://www.eu.darkfallonline.com/
    do so and create a support ticket explaining everything in detail

You'll have to log in to the support thing aswell

• Registered Users Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭Ivan

To be fair to EVE, its tutorials and general introduction to the game has received drastic improvements so it really isn't that difficult to get into anymore.

+1 for everything positive said abouto Darkfall. Damn I miss that game.

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭TheAmateur

Was reading this article: Which MMO Should I Play, the other day. Some really interesting titles coming out soon (check the "in development" section on page 5). I was particularly impressed with the demo video for Guild Wars 2, I think it's one to watch out for.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Drakar

Wow is looking kinda expensive for new players now that you need to buy the old game + all expansions. Maybe they'll add wotlk to a new battlechest type thing though...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭GO_Bear

Playboy wrote: »
    Eve is great but I found that its very difficult to get anywhere or get any satisfaction from it unless you are prepared to give over your life to it. Its an absolutely brilliant game but I just prefer something more casual.

I am a casual eve player ! , fair enough it means I am a pirate , and fly cheap ships. You don't need to devote your life to it , but the game is such that if you get immersed in it , and let it suck you in , you could :P

• Registered Users Posts: 10,746 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

Drakar wrote: »
    Wow is looking kinda expensive for new players now that you need to buy the old game + all expansions. Maybe they'll add wotlk to a new battlechest type thing though...

i woudlnt advise a new player to buy everything before doing the free trials or at least a refer-a-friend for a month.

the official site has a free week-long trial, give that a shot if, its a streaming download so you'll be able to play away after a few minutes of starting your download.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

Nody wrote: »
    You can't go wrong with WoW honestly; it is the game all other MMOs are being compared to (more or less favourably). WoW also have the benefit of being casual (casual meaning you can get things done in only 30 min etc.

totally disagree with that and is the main reason i have quit wow.

maybe when leveling could be considered instant, til lyou queue for a random dungeon and are left in a queue for possibly hours.

and gets worse at 80, firs random dungeon = 20 mins, first random bg = 22 mins almost constantly!!

should be instant! w4nkers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Drakar

Group with a tank/healer for instant queues pewpew

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Synalon Etuul

Has no-one heard of Dungeons and Dragons Online? I recommend it highly

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭neilk32

Go with Darkfall even more so after they implement offline skilling, best MMO on the market today :)

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭papajimsmooth

Man what id give to have the experience of playing wow for the first time again :D

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭GO_Bear

Man what id give to have the experience of playing wow for the first time again :D

+1 I acutally really enjoyed the first month post beta , everything seemed so big new and shiney !

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

From having tried so many, I always come back to WoW

Save money, time and effort and just get into that, in my view everything else is just trying to match it, so you might aswell play the best one

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭neilk32

TheDoc wrote: »
    Save money, time and effort and just get into that, in my view everything else is just trying to match it, so you might aswell play the best one

Yes Darkfall , Eve and many other mmo's are trying to copy WOW.:rolleyes:

Advertisement