Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MMO recommendations

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Most of the major hyped ones did, granted its only my opinion, but all the ones I've tried were a big meh

The only one that i had hope for was Aion, unfortunately it was a pure grind and was based around that stupid jap rpg style like Final Fantasy.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Okay being a TOTAL UTTER FPS FREAK....what exactly is the whole WOW experience. I just dont get it....I really dont. And after actually paying for the game to pay a monthly sub. is just madness....IMHO.

Dont get me wrong here I am not bashing MMO games...In fact I would really like to play one and more over get really into it. But no way on earth I am paying monthly for it.

Is there a link or a free pass I can get to play it 1st hand.....:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭GO_Bear

Wonda-Boy wrote: »

Dont get me wrong here I am not bashing MMO games...In fact I would really like to play one and more over get really into it. But no way on earth I am paying monthly for it.

Is there a link or a free pass I can get to play it 1st hand.....:confused:

MMO's are developed in such a way that you only play that MMO , and no other games, As I cannot afford other games , this is in part true for me. However I only keep one subscription up at a time.

I find I have saved money over the years by only paying around 12 euro a month rather than paying for a new game every few weeks. You can end up playing the same MMO for years, I played; ( with some Overlap )
    DAoC for 4/5 years;
    Eve for around 2 Years now I think;
    War for 3 months;

And some others. In that time I think the only single player games I bought where HL2 Orange box + Ep1,2 , Deus Ex, Gothics, Fallout 3 and Dragon age.

So you are saying that everyone (and lets face it half the world) that plays WOW does not buy other games!!!!

I play loads of games at the same time, granted if it is new and particulary good you stay with it for a while but even the best games need a break....

No way in hell I would play the same game for 2-3yrs constantly.....its bad enuff sticking with the same GIRL :p:p:p:eek:

Maybe I stick with what I do best.....kill from the ground with modern warfare. Leave the spells to the "GEEKS" ;)

So you are saying that everyone (and lets face it half the world) that plays WOW does not buy other games!!!!

I play loads of games at the same time, granted if it is new and particulary good you stay with it for a while but even the best games need a break....

No way in hell I would play the same game for 2-3yrs constantly.....its bad enuff sticking with the same GIRL :p:p:p:eek:

Maybe I stick with what I do best.....kill from the ground with modern warfare. Leave the spells to the "GEEKS" ;)

No not saying that , I am saying that While I am playing an MMO I won't by any other games (Not outta choice but sheer lack of money!)
    And I am not restricting people to WoW ! There are others, however if you are an FPS head you would like Eve online as much as lead paint soup.

I did not really enjoy Modern Warfare as much as Quake Wars: ET , thats one FPS I bought , but then again I got to play many different games from a games cafe I played in for a while

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

mw is garbage. if you played wow then theres id say a 90% probability it would suck you in and you would play for years.

its the only game i have consistently more or elss played for 3 or more years.

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭neilk32

You should try darkfall free trial :) Basically an Fps Rpg MMO

Sorry guys, when I said "Modern Warfare" I meant current military weapons not COD....MY BAD :(

I never played the (COD)series much, I bought the game but played it for about a week dont like it at all. I did have a brief stint with Guild Wars but cannot remember my charactors names for the new security log in. And by all accounts it is useless to email N-SOFT as they never reply.....:mad:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Hi Wonda, the thing about wow more so any MMO ive played is the constant stream of content, new raids etc,blizzard patch in whole new raids a few times a year more or less,then you have the expansions, seriously the game is massive in scale and entertainment value, there is just so much to do.
    I often see/read on the net people saying wow sucks, "i got my character to lvl 30 and it sucks" if ever there was a case for barely scratching the surface lvl 30 in wow is it.
    Ive levelled 5 characters to lvl 80 so trust me when i say the game really only starts when you hit 80.
    Dont get me wrong, the journey to 80 is fantastic the first couple of times but the vast majority of wow subscribers keep playing for the end game content.

Dcully wrote: »
    Hi Wonda, the thing about wow more so any MMO ive played is the constant stream of content, new raids etc,blizzard patch in whole new raids a few times a year more or less,then you have the expansions, seriously the game is massive in scale and entertainment value, there is just so much to do.
    I often see/read on the net people saying wow sucks, "i got my character to lvl 30 and it sucks" if ever there was a case for barely scratching the surface lvl 30 in wow is it.
    Ive levelled 5 characters to lvl 80 so trust me when i say the game really only starts when you hit 80.
    Dont get me wrong, the journey to 80 is fantastic the first couple of times but the vast majority of wow subscribers keep playing for the end game content.

As much as I hate to agree, and I have constantly bashed WoW ( we may yet see when I get to end game PvP :P if it really is pants ) I am a person who hates Levelling however you can see the vast amount of money that WoW has put into it , Every zone being different etc etc, I am quite enjoying it.. . I even found I spammed Scholo and Strat , even got 3 level 80's to help me do a UBRS raid to finish my Beaststalker set at level 60 for the battleground haha, and for me a person who normally finds the quickest way to level in games to skip the PvE content that is saying alot xD . I subsequently trashed my whole beaststalker set for quest items in outland the next day ;p

• Advertisement

Cully,

I have no problem with WOW in itself, the problem I have is pay a monthly sub. (And no I am not tight...lol) I just dont think it is worth it TBH. No matter how good a game is, fair enough that blizzard actually "VALUE" the customer and put 100% effort into making the platform as good as it can be. I suppose that is rear enough in itself these days.....

I have played Guild Wars for about 4mths back in the day and I have three lvl20 (highest LvL) charactors. I do/did actually like the idea of getting funky armour and swords that flame n all that jazz. But the only really reason I even played it back then was a group of other clan mates played it non stop and I just wanted a bit of bantar. I was not overly impressed by the game but it was good fun at times. I did find the scale of the game a tad off putting aswell, you never really know EXACTLY what you should be doing lol. Hence me been decent at FPS games...I is a KILLER!!!!! :D Its simple......

I see alot of peeps constantly going on about "raiding" what exactly is that in WOW......also any links to decent gameplay as the ones I found on youtube make the game look total muck. I did see a Darkfall vid that looked quite good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭Da Bounca

The fact that WoW only begins at 80 is a point in itself. A game should be as immersive and interesting from level 1 all the way to max level.
    I tried to play WoW a few times and just couldn't. Furthest I got was level 20, it was just too mindless and boring.

Darkfall is from another planet in comparison to WoW. Darkfall is a scary world where things you do actually matter and have a consequence. From day1 you are thrown into the shít. Fighting with other nabs for loot that is worth next to nothing. Chasing the guy that stole your sword half way across the world, only for you both to run out of stamina and spend the next hour in a flailing duel which finally ends in another player coming along and killing you both and taking everything you have. It's the only mmorpg I would sub to, the only one that provides any real immersion and adrenaline rush.
    I wish I had the time to get back into it.

Well to be honest , its been so long since the original zones got a good revamping , I hear the new expansion is redoing them , not sure if will do much for immersion but to be honest can you get immersed in collecting ten rats tails for x amount of exp + gold, I prefer to level by PvPing and Dungeons, because it is a Massively Multilayer game after all so I don't pay to play in my own little bubble.

However on the point you made about Darkfall having a good adrenaline rush , I would reccomend Eve. Save up for a ship for a few weeks , maybe your first battleship or something. Then take it out on a PvP op in low sec or something, when **** hits the fans and pirates start comming out of the wood work. Thats an adrenaline rush :p when I first started PvPing I would **** up often for just forgetting small things as a result of being up **** creek !

I would like to try darkfall but i have a computer issue in that my comp is ****e !

EVE and Darkfall both sub. based aswell are they.....?

Yep

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,347 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Try something different like World of Tanks. It's free but allows for premium options. It's currently in closed beta.

Aye I would agree with Spear, you are new to the scene and have nothing holding you to the older games !

Yeah, Dublin Gunner gave me a beta key (I think) for this and I tried it in the very early stages and did not like it at all. It played like a bad internet browser game back then. No doubt it has improved dramatically since, it would wanna have tanks like in BFBC2 for me to like it lol.

I don't think you understand the concept of MMO's. With a normal game you are paying the money and you are playing the game until you get bored of it and they release DLC and you pay more money. With an MMO you are paying a monthly sub and the game is being constantly updated with new content, bug fixes and world updates etc. Darkfall was my first MMO I paid a sub for coming from mainly FPS games before that.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭KoKane

A publisher with rights to Darkfall is currently selling it for 7.50 !
    http://www.impulsedriven.com/explore/search/darkfall

Its still 14 a month (there are bundles if you buy more months at once you get it cheaper, the usual stuff)

As for content, WoW has a lot more, but thats the style of the game.
    Darkfall is lacking content at the minute but the last expansion a few weeks ago proved the Devs are very very capable (see the ice dragon) but are just ****ing lazy (or such small team :( )

Try all MMOs but just dont complain about them after you not putting enough time into them, because at the end of the day... time is what you need the most.

The thing is, you'd have to be playing them for years and trying many different ones before you discover your favourite flavour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭nin2010

I was once in the same frame of mind as you, wondering how all those suckers out there would pay a monthly fee to play a game. I thought it was madness and I stuck to fps games and guild wars(free to play) for a long time until I finally made the leap to subscription based mmos. Once you do you'll appreciate what you get for your money. Free to play mmos just make their cash in other ways by the way so don't be fooled. If you want to be competitive in a free to play mmo you will pay through item shop or other micro transactions anyway. I rather just pay a flat amount every month...

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭zippygirl

Did anyone try playing Requiem: Memento Mori? Maybe they changed the name now, idk.

I use to play this 24/7 and was really amazed how the game functions online. Many WoW players switched to it too...

Just interested in more opinions.. For now, that's one of my fav MMO[tec.] games.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭VenomIreland

I tried WoW, hated it soon after.
    I tried EVE, loved it at first, but then just got bored of it.

Now I'm trying Guild Wars because Guild Wars 2 (from the looks of it) will be a definite buy for me, so I want to experience the first one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 TaNtRawR

I would definitely recommend to anyone to try Guild Wars. It's completely non-subscription based, free-to-play.
    There are 4 Guild Wars games currently out, all can be linked to one account and you can travel between games. You can pick up an Elite pack containing all the games for €40~60 online or checking retailers.
    The graphics are up there beating WoW and most other MMO games and you do not need an even moderately fast connection to play. 1MB ~ 2MB would definitely cut it.

The campaigns are tough and challenging for new players, there are several professions, some campaign-based(eg. Assassins) and of course core-professions such as Warriors, Rangers, Elementalists (mages), Monks, Mesmers. The Player Vs. Player areas of Guild Wars are very fun and very addictive.

The only downside I feel is the maximum achievable level of experience is 20, however this is minor and looking past it is easy as there are hundreds of Titles your character can earn(and wear, to show-off) aswell as elite armor and weapons to devote your time-wasting to.

Guild Wars 2 will be released sometime next winter. More than likely it will be pushed back(again) until January 2012~February.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

GW = poor mans wow imo, you meet nobody but bots out in the world zzzzzzzzzzz , just didnt feel like an MMO to me in any way.
    Good game flawed by the above GW2 should address that in a big way however,i t looks promising.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 TaNtRawR

I wouldn't call it a poor man's WoW, it is a completely different game. That's like calling NFL a poor mans football i.e you have a ball, you have players, but you have a vast difference in the skills needed, rules and mentality required to be good at it. Essentially it has less substantial updates due to it being non sub based, but there is alot to be found in GW. I have played for quite a few months on WoW and reached lvl50 whereas I have played years on GW, with quite a few 6 month breaks also. I'm inclined to lean towards GW for the Player V Player side of things and the general profession/skills but the fact it isn't an open world and you can't mount up to fast travel might not be everyone's thing. This more or less comes down to the individual's interests, views on policing and political opinions(jk lol) as for the € side of things, most of us already pay monthly for BB, and I'm sure a substantial have Xbox Live, so paying to play isn't something frowned upon, but paying to play a specific game only leads to the idea you gotta play ~

Seeing as GW2 will not be released before November 2011 or daresay later than that, January 2012~ GW is more of a part-timer for boredom killing, if you're looking for days-killer gaming, hit WoW. It's guaranteed to fcuk with your life.

:pac: N.B Addictive personalities should stay away from MMO's, sub based or not. 'less you wanna end up a cliche for addicted [fat] gamers :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,318 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Only came to my mind but you could also try Global Agenda, MMOFPS hybrid (think PS capped at 10vs10 with PvE). Has a free to play client up to level 15 I think and I got discount codes for any one intrested in buying it as well. Free to play but I'd strongly recommend buying a booster (double xp, cash and gear drops) if you decide to buy it as it helps greatly to level up.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭privilegue

neilk32 wrote: »
    Yes Darkfall , Eve and many other mmo's are trying to copy WOW.:rolleyes:

So tell me (being an MMO player since the 90s) how exactly is EvE copying WoW when EvE was there before WoW? Its like saying Ultima Online stole all of their concepts from WoW, oh wait...

On a different note, let me put this into perspective:
    WoW -- If you are new to MMOs then yes go for this. The PvE content is fun and PvP is engaging but gets too easy in its endgame if you are starting to outgear content.
    EvE -- If you prefer something serious, deep and emerging. (This one is called the "other MMO" for a reason)
    Darkfall -- dont waste your time on this.
    WoT -- (World of Tanks) If you like shooting stuff with big gunz then go for it - word of warning tho - it will feel like a grind going up the higher tank tiers.
    LOTRO -- Nice PvE story and content but is outdated and PvP is bad
    Warhammer Online -- This one failed (was pushed to release too early), simply put dont even try.
    StarTrek Online -- Oh well I dont even know how to put this into words.. If you are a true StarTrek freak and I really mean freak then yes try it otherwise waste of time.
    APB -- All Points Bulletin - Its kinda like GTA but MMO style i enjoyed this in between serious fleet fights in EvE

Of course there is more games then these but since GuildWars is not a true MMO as per se I am not mentioning it here. There is a ton of free 2 play mmos out there that mimic wow in one way or the other there is no doubt.

Where am I coming from? My background in programming and QA Engineering within the games industry and all of this is personal preference but I have played most MMOs that you find out there just to see if one of them has done something new or interesting.

Games to look out for: Star Wars - The Old Republic Q2/3 2011

I personally play EvE now and have strayed away from WoW having 8 characters there all of them on 80 with T9/T10 gear WoW got way too repetitive for me so I wont be leveling through the new expansion or anything.

Final thought: If you have a social life and friends, don't go for WoW as it requires a lot of attention from the player while EvE you can just quit and you skill training ("leveling") will continue while you are offline, which in turn means you dont have to spend all day and night trying to level yourself up.

A new account to reply to something which I was obviously been sarcastic hence the smiley? Darkfall is the best PvP MMO out there on the market now, it is vastly improving and will continue to grow for the foreseeable future.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭privilegue

neilk32 wrote: »
    A new account to reply to something which I was obviously been sarcastic hence the smiley? Darkfall is the best PvP MMO out there on the market now, it is vastly improving and will continue to grow for the foreseeable future.

New account because I was reading but never actually felt to contribute but then found this thread which I find very interesting so replied. For your comment I must have misinterpreted this then sorry for that.

Back on topic- Darkfall is allright but when it comes to PvP I would still go back to EvE or even WoW. It didnt feel emersive at all to me. I can tell you the only time I actually ever emersed into a game so deep (PvP) was with Star Wars Galaxies ( I am a Vet Jedi played since the beginning) where we would have battles of enourmous proportions. 400 vs 400 ect. The only other game where I was able to get into PvP like that was/is EvE.

We constantly fight battles where you have 1000+ people involved in.

And one game I totally forgot is Hello Kitty Online - how could I... :rolleyes:

Advertisement