Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

elec shower/ main fuse

Options
  • 21-10-2010 2:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭

am getting an electric shower in 9.0-9.5kW
    have and old 'fuseboard' and i want to get this upgraded at the same time, to a new rcd/mcb type consumer board . just browsing the litreture for the showers and most installers recommend having a 80a main fuse to the consumer unit.
    i realise uk is 240v and we are 230v so does this mean that the standard esb fuse of 63a(?) is sufficient.
    i heard that a fuse upgrade costs about 150euro is this accurate

also some advice on the size of consumer unit to get, 3-bed semi, but i also want to build a small extension in a couple years and also get power into the garage

lastly i was advised to ask the sparks to put in an rcbo instead of an rcd/mcb for the shower circuit because they give better protection but may cost a little more?

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,591 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

First of all I would suggest that you employ the services of a registered electrical contractor and take his/her advice (BTW I am not one).
    Based on what you have said and without seeing your house here are my thoughts:
    have and old 'fuseboard' and i want to get this upgraded at the same time,
    For domestic the norm is a 63A main fuse. This is suitable for an instantaneous shower such as the one you described.
    i heard that a fuse upgrade costs about 150euro is this accurate
    The upgrade of the existing fuseboard normally means that the existing board will be replaced with a new board containing MCBs, RCDs etc. This unit would also include a new main fuse. Expect to pay more than €150 (in total) for the new board to be supplied and fitted.
    also some advice on the size of consumer unit to get, 3-bed semi
    A 2 x 12 mod board should be plenty. Good to see someone thinking ahead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

you may have 10sq tails if it's a DZ board-these will need 'upping' to 16sq -
    if that's the case

you'll need a 'registered contractor' anyhow -could be a bit of work involved to do it right

there are guidelines in the back of the rules(page 328) for fuseboard upgrade

Advertisement