Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking to buy/ sell a stick? ***READ HERE***

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

liamnojo92 wrote: »
    Loads of sticks on sale on madcatz website the vs sfxt is only £69.99 normal sfxt one 49.99 which is a massive bargain http://store.gameshark.net/Street_Fighter_X_Tekken_Arcade_FightStick_V.S._for_Xbox_360/5175/328

Must resist urge to buy something I dont need.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭aeonfusion

I picked up one of the 'pro' sfxt sticks today. Worked out at 82 euro with delivery and conversion rates, savage deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭liamnojo92

I already have 3 sticks but I want the pro stick so bad D:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Would artwork created for a MadCatz TE be transferrable to the Street Fighter X Tekken Arcade FightStick stick. Basically, is the artwork dimensions, button placement and turbo panel in the exact same place?

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Junsuina Chikara

I wouldn't think so. On Art's hobbies, he has separate templates for the different Madcatz sticks so I assume there must be a difference somewhere.

Linky: http://www.tek-innovations.com/arthobbies/index.cfm?loc=about&sub=templates

• Advertisement

Can any of the MadCatz fightpad users offer any insight into them? I've read several bad reviews which make me think that the build quality is poor but I would like to have a fightpad of some sort but I don't know what to get. I know there is a sale over on GameShark.net but the postage alone costs more than the pad itself! I'd pay happily £10 for a fightpad but with postage, its working out £25. I'd be ok with that price if I knew it was good quality but like I said, I've read bad reviews all over the place. Are there any good alternatives to the MadCatz line? Ideally, I want something that can also be dual modded (i.e.: Dual Strike method) but its not a necessity

• Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭UberPrinny_Baal

Can any of the MadCatz fightpad users offer any insight into them?

I've never used them, and I think at tournaments I've only see AJ with one and I believe he's gone through a few of them...

The main "quality" limitation of the fightpads I believe is that they're simply made of plastic, whereas TEs are made of metal.

Kiki can probably correct me, but it's probably a limitation of all pads combined with the more strenious motions required by fighting games.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

FutureGuy wrote: »
    Would artwork created for a MadCatz TE be transferrable to the Street Fighter X Tekken Arcade FightStick stick. Basically, is the artwork dimensions, button placement and turbo panel in the exact same place?
    Buttons are same distance from stick, but Turbo panel is not on main panel, and there is more art room to the left of the stick.
    Can any of the MadCatz fightpad users offer any insight into them? I've read several bad reviews which make me think that the build quality is poor but I would like to have a fightpad of some sort but I don't know what to get. I know there is a sale over on GameShark.net but the postage alone costs more than the pad itself! I'd pay happily £10 for a fightpad but with postage, its working out £25. I'd be ok with that price if I knew it was good quality but like I said, I've read bad reviews all over the place. Are there any good alternatives to the MadCatz line? Ideally, I want something that can also be dual modded (i.e.: Dual Strike method) but its not a necessity
    No real d-pad alternatives on 360 that I know of.
    Dualmod possible, but fiddly -- not something I'd do for cheap (if at all).
    I've never used them, and I think at tournaments I've only see AJ with one and I believe he's gone through a few of them...

The main "quality" limitation of the fightpads I believe is that they're simply made of plastic, whereas TEs are made of metal.

Kiki can probably correct me, but it's probably a limitation of all pads combined with the more strenious motions required by fighting games.
    The problem with Madcatz pads is either the materials choice, inherent design flaws of the Fightpad's dpad itself and/or the player's input strength.

Nintendo pads, for example, are known for lasting a long long time - DGV used to play only on modified SNES pads:
    padu.jpg

Cheers Kiki for the input :). Considering there isn't really a great alternative to the fightpad, I guess the new Xbox pad (transforming dpad one) isn't that bad. I can use it fine for SF since QCF/QCB etc. are just easier, VF, thats a bit different though. CDing with Akira into a double palm is tricky though and ofcourse, the knee is just much harder to get consistently (I have setup RB = G which I flick my index finger nail off to get the knee). After getting used to the pad again though, I can do the true DLC (2P side) almost every time with the pad, with the stick, not so much :D.

Though out of interest, anyone use these joypads? http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Saturn-USB-Game-Control-White-Pad-PS3-Video-Accessories-/270759158115?pt=Video_Games_Accessories&hash=item3f0a80e163. I am wary of buying stuff from China as most of the time they come out dodgy but the seller has a great rating + no negative feedback on the joypads and he's sold plenty so that tells me they must be alright. Hard to argue with the asking price too. I think I'll pick one up anyway.

All USB Saturn pads you can get now are clones.
    By way of SRK, it's a lottery if you get a good one now (but most times you won't). Pity really, I have a first-run clone that's still mostly good (only 1 dying trigger).

re: Xbox "transforming" dpad, I personally think its just as flawed as the original dpad, because they didn't address the actual design issue which is the mechanism UNDERneath.

• Advertisement

Personally, I do feel a difference in the quality of the dpad with the newer xbox pads. My first pad (which is the same one I was using since I got my X360 in 2008) had a bad dpad. It worked fine but I had the issue of the dpad whacking against the wall when pressing down, producing a clear clicking sound whenever I pressed down though my brother's pad was perfect, it didn't have any of those issues and we bought both on the same day so there wouldn't be any revision differences. My pad still worked fine until eventually, the left direction stopped registering properly so I had to invest in a new pad and so far, I'm happy with it. I was just considering trying to get a Saturn style pad of some sort because it's what I grew up with.

Like I've said before, I've never had any issue playing any SF games with an X360 pad. I grew up on joypads though (MegaDrive 6-button, Dreamcast pad, Xbox1 Duke controller etc.) so I might feel comfortable with using a pad for FGs when others who grew up on arcades would hate the minute movement required to perform any moves. It's just that a pad isn't so VF friendly but that would apply to all pads with VF IMO. I wanted to get good with Akira back in VF3 on my Dreamcast but it was just ridiculously difficult to perform most of the motions on the DC pad so I think it has to be said that VF NEEDS an arcade stick if you want to play properly. There's just no two ways about it. I still think that SF can be played with great proficiency with a pad though as Cobelcog and Bush (before he got a stick) proved.

Bought the SFxT stick during the sale. Tood good an offer to pass up. However,I cannot seem to access the Gameshark account section...

http://store.gameshark.net/

Cac someone check for me on their PC pleez?

Yep, can't access it here either. Maybe server overload.

New stick arrived! 90 euro delivered to door thanks to Parcel Motel

sfxt-1.jpg

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

That's a lovely looking stick, just couldn't justify the cost...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭UberPrinny_Baal

That's a lovely looking stick, just couldn't justify the cost...

Agreed. I have one good stick for myself, and one considerably-less-good one for guests; yet I STILL feel "dat urge" to buy more TEs when I see them go on sale....

For that price he could dual mod it at least, I think...

Still cheaper than a b15-sdm stick, actually.

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Still cheaper than a b15-sdm stick, actually.

I'd want one of them dual modded too :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭Nascimento

Wow.

It's beautiful.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭Rob2D

I don't think there's enough work gone into that to justify €330 + shipping.

It is however nice enough to justify me making one for myself! :)

He doesn't seem to mention any dimensions, but I suppose that doesn't really matter as long as the end result looks the same.

I wonder could you put LED's in at the sides? Y'know illuminate the glass; that'd be pretty cool.

The frames are polished, welded stainless steel; acrylic is properly burn-finished; wiring has barely any looseness; and the joystick/PCB mounting plate is fully custom.

So while the materials cost is low, for the amount of time he's put in it's an absolute steal.

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    The frames are polished, welded stainless steel; acrylic is properly burn-finished; wiring has barely any looseness; and the joystick/PCB mounting plate is fully custom.

So while the materials cost is low, for the amount of time he's put in it's an absolute steal.

But it won't work on 3/4 of people's machines.

Don't think he'd dare make it X360 compatible, M$ legality crap and all. Much easier to make a stick PS3 compatible stick and get away with it than make an X360 compatible stick and get hassled for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

Don't think he'd dare make it X360 compatible, M$ legality crap and all. Much easier to make a stick PS3 compatible stick and get away with it than make an X360 compatible stick and get hassled for it.

Then no offense but you know very little about the high-end custom stick business.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭PPC

The reason its PS3/PC only is because the controller PCB is one of the smallest out there, anything bigger and it would ruin the aesthetics of it.
    This stick took many hours of planning before he even touched any raw materials, its pretty cheap for what you could class as controller 'art'.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭Rob2D

Well if I make one I'll want it dual modded.

What would be the easiest solution for that? I wouldn't know much about the electronics side of things.

Rob2D wrote: »
    Well if I make one I'll want it dual modded.

What would be the easiest solution for that? I wouldn't know much about the electronics side of things.
    PS360+

• Advertisement

Modded my stick with the new HBSF-30 "silent" buttons.

2012-12-17170854_zpsb7172025.jpg

Really nice so far. I'm using Cherry Brown switches.
    Also has a JLF modded with Cherry 75g switches & double-strength spring from Paradise Arcade.

Button noise has gone from 91dB to ~84dB, so 2-3x quieter.

Advertisement