Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking to buy/ sell a stick? ***READ HERE***

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,021 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

I'll happily pay for postage if the stick is for €50.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭eco2live

could you meet me at newlands cross during the week?

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭meducation

next in line:D:Dafter sagat

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭aeonfusion

Hey all, been playing a lot over the last few months using a Dualshock 3 on PC but i've been looking around for a while now at sticks and i think i've come to the conclusion that i'm going to buy either an SE stick or the WWE Brawl stick, i don't think that spending 100 and something euro on a TE stick would be the best idea for me as i've never really used one for fighting games and i'm not sure how i'll like it, but i was thinking about those sticks because they're relatively cheap and the parts can be swapped for sanwa if i decide i like it and feel the buttons and/or joystick aren't as responsive as i'd like them.

I think i've made a good decision but i wouldn't mind hearing the opinions of a few people with more wisdom on the subject than me. Any reason to choose the SE over the Brawl Stick or vice versa would also be appreciated because i'm quite stuck with regards which one to pick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,721 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Choose the Brawl Stick instead of the SE.

It's uglier, but the parts are of much higher quality.
    You can always change the art for around €4.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Sairus

If you're unsure if you're going to like using a stick, get a HORI Fighting Stick EX 2. It's much cheaper than an SE and it works grand for what it is. Or you could come on down to some casuals and try out some peoples' sticks.

To swap out the parts and upgrade your SE to Sanwa parts would be around €70 or so (or so I gather from my extremely brief price checking), so it's not exactly a cheap affair.

Do not listen to Sairus, the EX2 is a waste of money.

<-- STICK KING.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Sairus

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Do not listen to Sairus, the EX2 is a waste of money.

<-- STICK KING.

Shup. My stick has STICK written on it. I'm clearly awesome and knowledgeable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

Sairus wrote: »
    To swap out the parts and upgrade your SE to Sanwa parts would be around €70 or so (or so I gather from my extremely brief price checking), so it's not exactly a cheap affair.

Where did check prices?

Full Sanwa into an SE should be about €50 max.
    20 for the stick.
    4 quid a button
    Few quid for p&p

Even there 4 quid would probably be on the high end and it'd work out more 2/3 but I'm working off memory.

AkihabaraShop.jp
    €21 for Sanwa JLF-TP-8YT-SK / €14 for Seimitsu LS-32-01.
    €1.70 per button (Sanwa OBSF-30)
    p&p

The Sanwa OBSF-30-RG (high-end) buttons are €5 each though.

*edit*
    Other shops to consider:
    eTokki.com
    ArcadeShop.de

• Advertisement

I had already looked into a few Hori sticks, the EX2 was the only one in my price range really but i wouldn't go for it purely because it only has 6 buttons. Looking at the prices too the EX2 seems to come in around £50 and i've found a Brawl Stick here for £55, it doesn't seem worth a fiver to me to go without those 2 extra buttons, if the EX2 was 35 or 40 it would be more tempting then.

Should have said in my first post btw i'm a PC player and i've read about the EX2 having complications with joystick mapping in a few places, i'd defiantly pay the extra bucks for something i know is going to have no complications.

I read pretty much everywhere that the Brawl stick had better parts than the SE so i think i'll be investing in the Brawl sometime after AE comes out.

Off topic i know but since it was mentioned, defiantly wouldn't feel confident enough to go to casuals any time soon, i think i'll need a good bit of time with AE to get used to all the changes from vanilla to AE, might be a bit demoralizing to get beat to a pulp every round first time out :P

Nah.

Come to casuals, we'll get you up to speed in a single session.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭Naphiel

aeonfusion wrote: »
    Off topic i know but since it was mentioned, defiantly wouldn't feel confident enough to go to casuals any time soon, i think i'll need a good bit of time with AE to get used to all the changes from vanilla to AE, might be a bit demoralizing to get beat to a pulp every round first time out :P

I have to do the exact same thing. I'm waiting for the disc release of AE as well so everyones getting used to the changes before I've even played it. If you come in some time when I'm in we can play and feel awful compared to everyone else. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭chris mcmahon

right guys, nice easy question. im looking to get a mad catz te or something similar. where is the best place to get a stick, 2nd hand or new. im in belfast and its nearly impossible to find stuff like that here. even anywhere on the internet. the only place i can even find that still stocks the things it the gameshark store, but they are still priced at £150 and there is no way im paying that. its for 360

There's a lot here varying between £89 and £129 but none are in stock so while it's not much good right now the prices are decent :P

I'm sure i'll eventually get round to going to casuals but with never having played super and soon to be using a fight stick instead of a joypad i have a lot of re-learning to do, especially since cammy is pretty unviable in AE :( I will miss you cammy.

yeah, found that site earlier. there are loads more websites with really good prices but none are in stock and judging by the too good to be true prices they wont be. ever. i need somewhere that carries a stock that isnt full priced, i know that might be unrealistic but 150 bones is too much for a f*****g controller.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Goody2shoes15

Hey guys, was looking for opinions on this, i wanted to look about getting a dead cheap stick to start off with and mod later. Any thoughts?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/DATEL-ARCADE-JOYSTICK-RAPID-Xbox360/dp/B0037LX380/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Owwmykneecap

The buttons don't look like they are in a good position, maybe the end ones are but they still look off to me.

Price works out similar to the hori ex 2 / fighting stick 3 (xbox/ps3 version names) which is a stick I personally prefer to the Madcatz SE. i've seen this floating around HMVs and Gamestops.

The ex 2 is a pain to mod though, the datel...I've no idea.

just thought someone might maybe find this useful. hmv (uk store, not sure about down south) are selling fightpads for £12. just grabbed one in the meantime while i look for a stick

Hey guys, was looking for opinions on this, i wanted to look about getting a dead cheap stick to start off with and mod later. Any thoughts?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/DATEL-ARCADE-JOYSTICK-RAPID-Xbox360/dp/B0037LX380/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top
    Elaborating on what I said in IRC:

Datel is poor quality stock, will work for maybe 1-2 months before modding is NECESSARY - and it will require dremelling and soldering.
    *sample mod*

Worth it for the PCB though.

For cheaper/easier, get a Madcatz Brawl Stick, or get someone to mod a Madcatz Tatsunoko vs Capcom stick for you.

• Advertisement

so.....................................................
    no one has any dood ideas on where to get a decently priced stick?
    they really are hard to get

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

Did you try shopto.net? I know they've offered some good deals in the past.

Orim wrote: »
    Did you try shopto.net? I know they've offered some good deals in the past.

yeah, all they list is the te s, its a £100 which i would pay but it has a sign beside it saying sorry....all gone:rolleyes:

also having trouble finding a decent stick, how's the fightpad working out? what were you using btw

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Neeknak

VX SA - xbox 360 £114.66

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hori-Officially-Licensed-Real-Arcade/dp/B0041S9U8A/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1308899261&sr=8-1

V3 SA - PS3 £129.99

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hori-Officially-Licensed-Real-Arcade/dp/B004TECRGS/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1308899261&sr=8-2

Pro Ex - xbox360 £87.69 (I used these for ages before I got my B15. I would recommend if you don't want the more expensive ones)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/HORI-Real-Arcade-Pro-Xbox/dp/B001GDONZS/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1308899261&sr=8-4

I'll hunt some smaller sites after work if those are no good.

the last one you put up seems interesting alright

i done some scouting around and came across this my dodgy senses are tingling because they have TE's on there for £100 and this one says 'game pad' after it...but they put a picture of a TE up so...50 pounds for a TE?

Here is what i need to pc usage

I just ordered myself one, came up as £35 at the checkout, they took the tax off it and they said shipping was free...so i dont know what to think. I know one thing for sure, the postman is gonna be waiting around for me to sign anything :P

Seems a bit dodgy but they have to take it back within 7 days of delivery so if it is dodgy i'll let people know...could be a beautiful thing though :P

Edit: Got an email from them 2 minutes later saying they were cancelling the order as they didn't have it in stock. I sent them a pissy email about false advertising and stealing my credit card information, i imagine i'll just get told to feck off :P worth a shot anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭the 1st hardter

This entire thread has been very useful. Finally got job sorted for first time in 2 years so I have money to spend. Have not used a arcade stick since tekken 3 machines so I need to get used to these again.

My only question is what would the best stick be for doing both ps3 and xbox or is it better to take 2 console specific ones???

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

The Qanba is probably the best which will do both systems. Nice sold stick with Sanwa parts.

I hear from people who know better than I that dual modding an Xbox TE so it'll work on PS3 isn't the hardest thing in the world to do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭UberPrinny_Baal

I hear from people who know better than I that dual modding an Xbox TE so it'll work on PS3 isn't the hardest thing in the world to do.

Doom's right about this, and Kiki is the man to talk to here about modding (Happy Birthday Kiki!), and if I recall correctly he has said that modifying an Xbox TE to work on both is easier than doing the same to a PS3 TE.

Or you could get the Qanba as Doom said, since it works out of the box.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,021 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

As far as I know, with any recent dual-compatible boards, both sticks should be identical to mod.

Advertisement