Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wheel size on Cube bikes

• 21-10-2010 8:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭

Whats the story with the wheel size on cube bikes,normally they are 700 X 23c or similar on other bikes but the cube bike i was looking at has the following...are they smaller wheels?

• Wheelset: CUBE HP Aero by Citec, Reynolds Attack Carbon for Clincher
    • Tyres: Schwalbe Ultremo R Kevlar 23x622
    • Tubes: Schwalbe RR light SV20
    • Rim Tape: Schwalbe 16-622

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,141 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

622 is the ISO sizing for 700c.

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/tire-sizing.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 303 ✭✭paddymacsporran

700c is the tyre size. Cube are the same size wheels as other bikes.

Unless it's a tiny frame, if thats the case they may be 650c - Although it would state that on the specification.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭route66

Simple answer: The 700 is an approximate outer diameter of 700mm and the 622 is an inner diameter of 622mm

I'm sure I'm not alone in thinking bike tyre sizes are a mess. E.G. setting the tyre size is critical to getting a bike computer to operate accurately, but the only way of doing this is either to use look up tables (estimated values) or do it the old way by getting the valve at bottom dead centre, chalking a mark on the ground, doing an exact number of wheel rotations and then dividing up the distance travelled by the rotations to get the exact circumference.

I replaced 35mm-wide tyres with 28s recently and my computer now over-reads. This means my wheels rotate more than they did, so my outside diameter is less with 28s than with 35s. Why - the tyres are both describes as 700s? The answer is that they are not 700. In the car world the precise outer diameter can be measured by using the numbers provided. E.G. Wheel 16", Tyre 205 X 60 (tyre width is 205mm, height or profile is 60% of width). Ok, its not simple because the standard measurements mix imperial and metric, but it can be done. In this example, the outside diameter is 16" + (2 X 205mm X .6).

It looks like the only thing missing in the bike world is a profile for tyres. Anyone know why this isn't supplied?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭manwithaplan

route66 wrote: »
    In this example, the outside diameter is 16" + (2 X 205mm X .6).

Stupid question alert - why do you multiply by two inside the brackets?

Edit - sorry I now know why - you obviously have to add the extra height on both sides. Duh!

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭hondavfr

Thanks for all your help.....i learn something new every day!

I still haven't decided on what to buy but this is what i am looking at now,
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=44398

• Advertisement

hondavfr wrote: »
    Thanks for all your help.....i learn something new every day!

I still haven't decided on what to buy but this is what i am looking at now,
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=44398

Looks very nice!

Check out Cube's sizing guide to see if the ones CRC have in stock will fit you. Cube say "Multiply your inside leg by a factor of 0.665" to get a value which "is the theoretical frame height in cm"

These would be too big for me!

Check out Cube's sizing guide to see if the ones CRC have in stock will fit you. Cube say "Multiply your inside leg by a factor of 0.665" to get a value which "is the theoretical frame height in cm"

Cube sizes seem weirdly short, length-wise.

Their 58cm frames have the following TT sizes:

Agree Pro/SL: 542mm
    Lightening Super HPC: 545mm
    Agree GTC Race/Pro/S: 545mm
    Lightening HPT: 546mm
    Streamer/Attempt/Peloton/Aerial: 551mm
    Lightening HPC: 553mm

...with headtubes from 143mm-165mm.

All of those are pretty short for a nominally 58cm frame.

I'd need a 60cm or 62cm to get enough length in those geometries whereas I normally ride a 56 or 58 in other brands, and then I'd end up with a mahoosive head tube (205mm in the case of the 62cm Agree GTC Race/Pro/S).

i am 6' 1" with a 34" inside leg, would that leave me needing a 60cm frame for that bike?

i am 6' 1" with a 34" inside leg, would that leave me needing a 60cm frame for that bike?

Is that your proper inseam measurement or just your trouser size?

Have a look here. This guy is shorter than you but with about the same inside leg measurement. He bought the size 56.

On the cube sizing link I posted above, they have an alternative sizing guide based on overall body height.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 573 ✭✭✭el Bastardo

There are two TT measurements on Cube's website and from recent experience of buying one of their bikes (just the week before they reduced 'em!), I can tell you that the measurements on their website are correct.

Being about the same height/inseam as you, I found the 60 a bit long (although I'm using it anyway).

There are two TT measurements on Cube's website and from recent experience of buying one of their bikes (just the week before they reduced 'em!), I can tell you that the measurements on their website are correct.

Ah right, as in here. CRC are quoting the B (actual TT length) not the B' (horizontal equivalent TT length), which is fairly useless.

When Cube (and others!) say a bike is 60cm in size, what does this mean? I can see no reference to anything that is 60cms in their detailed size charts. Is it therefore a virtual measurement?

I seem to recall that seat tube length was the most common/important measurement; is the quoted measurement therfore the size of a virtual seat tube at the point where it would intersect with the Top Tube if this were horizontal?

Or something :confused:

I seem to recall that seat tube length was the most common/important measurement

Horizontal top tube length is the most important measurement.

I have a 60cm on a trek bike at present but i allways felt that it was a little big for me. I dont know anything much about cube bikes but it seems to be fairly well specced for the price. Also chain reaction now have a showroom and i can try it out if i decide to travel up to belfast. I dont think i would order it online without trying it for size first

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Rockjock

I am 6 2" with 33" inside leg and I needed a 62 cm cube aerial frame as the 58cm and 60cm frames were not comfortable or large enough, I find these frames the most difficult to gauge, as I have a 58cm Pinarrello and it is bordering being too big for me, I know different makers and all that, but it goes to show you must try frame for size before buying, I would say try a GIANT in any shop as they both (giant and cube) have similar slopeing frames.....

Advertisement