Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cyclist down...

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Ant

Well done, Beasty for being so helpful in the wake of such a traumatic incident. Best of luck to the cyclist with his recovery. I vividly remember my last fall from the bike and as a result am one of the most cautious cyclists in Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

Beasty needs to change his name to nicey or softy. Well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭poochiem

just good to hear he is relatively ok, might suggest that people don't use these kind of threads to prevaricate on the best way to cycle as though supposing that injured parties may have been at fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭GlennaMaddy

Must have just missed this incident on my commute yesterday, passed the area (start of Turvey Ave) about 8:10am -filtering past cars stuck in horrendous traffic, but I'm told this is the norm for this time of year.
    Sadly, the road improvement works will do little to improve the situation for cyclists as can be seen on the planning submission at http://documents.fingalcoco.ie/AnitePublicDocs/00069830.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Best regards to the chap involved and well done Beasty.

I cycle that route most mornings but at a much earlier time. I didn't hear about the incident until I was in the pub last night. Some of the lads thought it might have been me.
    tomasrojo wrote: »
    I don't know this particular junction, but I also try to queue up at junctions. It can be quite a bit slower
    It's not a junction as such. It's two lanes merging for road works. The left lane is supposed to be a dedicated left turn prior to the merge. A cyclist going straight ahead needs to be in the right lane but most drivers appear to have trouble accepting that. It wouldn't be practicle to queue as it could go back over a km.
    positron wrote: »
    This road is just as dangerous about 500 meters north from this spot, where traffic from Lusk joins the N1 (is that Blakes cross?). For some strange reason, the two roads comes together at 60 or 80 kmph, and I have no idea how anyone on a bike heading south should deal with this situation, because you will end up in the outside lane, with with cars from Lusk flying up around a slight on the inside. Nightmare!
    It's a bit messy there alright. You're correct - it's Blakes Cross but it's the R132 not the N1. It was renamed back in 2003 when the M1 opened as it's no longer under the remit of the NRA.

(PS - got my first puncture in many years this afternoon. I was blessed as I was only about 500m from a bike shop at the time).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭wobblyknees

I do a regular long commute from Balbriggan to the south side and cycled past him the other morning. He was well taken care of at that stage with people which was good, but looking at his bike the first thing I said out loud was 'oh ****'. Glad to hear he is fine. Definitely a terrrible piece of road though. Shook me up a bit afterwards thinking about it as my cycle is nearly two hours each way and there are loads of chances for me to be involved in accidents along the way.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

It's now at the bike shop - initial assessment is the frame, front wheel, handlebars and forks are probably write-offs. The back wheel, drivetrain and lights may possibly be salvaged.

The rucksack is also a write-off (they had to cut the straps to get it off him at the roadside).

He's up and about, but still very sore. I explained to him that on boards a write-off is looked upon as a good thing, particularly as it looks like he'll have plenty of time to peruse retail and on-line outlets for an "upgrade". I think he's seeing it this way now.

I mentioned he caused quite a stir around here, so hopefully he'll get a chance to check out what we've all been saying about him ....

Advertisement