Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

starting again

Options
  • 21-10-2010 9:43am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭

so the whole goldfish thing didn't work out so well :( I want to start again but obviously cycle the tank fully first this time.
    I'll empty and clean out the tank, gravel and plants but should I start again with new filter sponges? Given that I don't know exactly what happened to fish2 I guess it's best that I do. Do you think I would be better to use bottled water?

The pet shop person said to give it a week before adding any fish but I take her advice with a pinch of salt given that the cycle took 8 weeks last time. No goldfish this time :(

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

Bear in mind goldfish are messy fish so need a lot of water.

Do a bit of research on how many goldfish you want VS how much water you'll need for them.
    I ideally want about 50 goldfish but have to settle for two :(

Buy a testing kit ( the ones with the test tubes!) and monitor the water, and check your tap water with it too, bottled water is not really necessary.
    If you leave the water stand for a few hours before using it there'll be less chlorine.

I'd start afresh with new sponges too, and fully cycle the tank from scratch, just on the off-chance there's something wrong especially if fish died.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Silverfish wrote: »
    Bear in mind goldfish are messy fish so need a lot of water.

That's why I think I'll try something else this time. (63l tank with heater).
    I have been testing the water and it's been fine since it cycled but maybe fish2 was already damaged. But yes given that I don't really know I'll start from scratch with the tank and filter and take it from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,506 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

going tropical this time?

going tropical this time?

I think so :) with caution. Advice on what/when/ how many very welcome!

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭mrpink6789

If you are going tropical clean out the tank and replace the sponges, dont use cilit bang or anything though! just warm water etc.

Fill it up and leave it for a few days. Then get a few hardy fish like guppies and start the cycling process, good thread about it in the stickies. The process can take 4-6 weeks so patience is key, water needs to be tested every day as well as daily water changes to make sure the ammonia doesnt get too crazy.

• Advertisement

Fishless cycling this time I think Mrpink :)
    I know it'll take longer but I don't want to loose any fishies in the process.
    Are guppies livebearers?

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭mrpink6789

Yep guppies are livebearers.

When I got my tank I left it for a week, then I added 3 guppies and 3 mollies to cycle it, nice hardy fish, still going strong! It took about 4-5 weeks, first week I didnt see any increase in levels but then all of a sudden things started to shoot up, took regular water changes for a good 3 weeks after that until the tank was cycled.

However most people will recommend fishless cycling but I cant help you with that, I think there is something in the stickies about it as well.

best of luck with it

Well it took me a while :rolleyes: I set the tank up about 3 weeks ago and haven't been terribly scientific about the cycling process just adding a few drops of ammonia now and again. 5 zebra danios went in there today and they'll have the tank all to themselves til after Christmas.
    My daughter wants guppies... I'm undecided.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Limerick Bandit

littlebug wrote: »
    Well it took me a while :rolleyes: I set the tank up about 3 weeks ago and haven't been terribly scientific about the cycling process just adding a few drops of ammonia now and again. 5 zebra danios went in there today and they'll have the tank all to themselves til after Christmas.
    My daughter wants guppies... I'm undecided.

Where did you get ammonia?
    I wouldn't add any more fish for a while, do it slowly and it will work out grand.
    your water temp should be around 27c, any pic's?

I got the ammonia in my local shop.... one of those rural shops that sells everything. I didn't see it in any of the bigger supermarkets at all.

I'll take a pic tomorrow.

• Advertisement

I added a betta and 4 peppered corydoras so the tank is a bit more interesting now. The betta is gorgeous but has been fighting his own reflection a fair bit :rolleyes: He doesn't seem terribly happy though and
    I'm not convinced the whole combination is working with regards to feeding. I tried flakes but the danios have it all gone in an instant. I tried some brine shrimp right next to him and he took one nibble and lost interest. The danios swooped in for the rest and the corys got any that made it to the bottom.

Any advice on feeding so everyone gets some?

I would say keep feeding slowly until they are all full.
    you could also try some blood worm they love that and getting a bit of garlic into their diet helps too.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Senor Willy

Once the tank is full of water ( de chlorinator added ) you can get filter
    squeezings from someone with a mature tank. You will be able to add your fish
    straighth away then.

Once the tank is full of water ( de chlorinator added ) you can get filter
    squeezings from someone with a mature tank. You will be able to add your fish
    straighth away then.

ya sure why bother letting it cycle at all :rolleyes:

ya sure why bother letting it cycle at all :rolleyes:

You won`t have to cycle it if you do it this way.

Instant cycled tank..

The tank has been up and running for 7+ weeks now. 3 weeks fishless with ammonia added now and again seemed to work ok.

You can cycle a tank using Ammonia or fish but you don`t have to go through
    all that bother. All you need are squeezings from a mature filter to kick start
    your tank. I have done it with almost every tank that I every set up and never
    had a problem with Ammonia or Nitrite.

You won`t have to cycle it if you do it this way.

Instant cycled tank..

The tank still needs to be cycled and its bad advice to be giving to beginners to just squeeze some crap out of a set up filter and away you go :( it will give it a kick start but it still needs to be done slowly :)

You are wrong and every fish keeper worth his salt will agree with me.
    You don`t squeeze the crap so to speak. Ignogance is bliss.

All you are doing is transferring billions of Nitrosomanas and Nitrospira
    bacteria in one go.
    Simple and effective. Even you local LFS will give you squeezings if you are
    stuck.

Back your statement up with facts if you are going to be so quick to
    correct me.

Thank you.

You are wrong and every fish keeper worth his salt will agree with me.
    You don`t squeeze the crap so to speak. Ignogance is bliss.

All you are doing is transferring billions of Nitrosomanas and Nitrospira
    bacteria in one go.
    Simple and effective. Even you local LFS will give you squeezings if you are
    stuck.

correct me.

Thank you.

So if a fish keeper dose not agree with you then they are not "worth their salt"? Were talking fresh water here!

Do not call me ignorant, I have yet to see a pic of any of your tanks!

you can transfer billions of Nitrosomanas and Nitrospira to a tank that can not support them and they all will die!

I did not state that you were wrong! but i did note that your advice was not good for the level of fish keeping on this forum.

As for backing up my statement I will just say, IMO!

• Advertisement

correct me.

Thank you.

not that quick :rolleyes:

I know we are talking fresh water here. The saying worth their salt has nothing
    to do with keeping Marine fish.:rolleyes::D:D:D

What I am saying is that most fish keepers would agree with me in saying
    that this is the quickest and easiest way to cycle a tank.
    I have never and probably never will, cycle a tank using Ammonia.
    I know its done by a lot of fish keepers when they cycle their tanks but
    IMO there is no need to wait 6 or 7 weeks to cycle a tank unless you don`t
    have access to mature bio media.

Advertisement