Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fishing plans for the Bank Holiday

Options
  • 21-10-2010 10:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭

Just wondering if anyone has any plans to go fishing over the bank holiday weekend. :cool:

Weather forecast, looks promising.

I am thinking of either Laois Angling or Lough Aishling or Rathcon Farm or Castlecomer Lakes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭DVD-Lots

Heading to Cloghan on Monday with a workmate, looking forward to it! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Going to do a bit of rock fishing in Kerry. Heading there with herself for a few days so will sneak away when she is catching up with the relatives and try and catch up with something myself! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭TimMac

Have you finished eating the last monster pollock already Seafields???:D

Im Working all weekend :(
    SeaFields wrote: »
    Going to do a bit of rock fishing in Kerry. Heading there with herself for a few days so will sneak away when she is catching up with the relatives and try and catch up with something myself! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

TimMac wrote: »
    Have you finished eating the last monster pollock already Seafields???:D

Im Working all weekend :(

Hard luck on working. I had to do a bit of swindling to get off for the whole weekend. No doubt I'll be made make up for it.

I got 8 fillets off that last pollock. All about 2 inches thick. I don't eat fish but herself does and pollock is one of her favorites so i did good! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭gary29428

Experimenter, the competition on Lough Aisling last Sunday produced very little. 37 anglers and the fishing was reported as hard going. Got a PM from one of the lads that fished it. He said it needs stocking badly.

I'm on Corrib Monday pike fishing, one of the lads got a 20+ on Wed on a jerk bait. Was down the docks in Galway on Wed evening trying for a few joey mackeral for bait, the place was boiling with fish. Didn't even have to cast, they were swarming on the top of the water just under your feet. There must have been millions in the bay...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭thedavman009

Admittdly it has been a while since I last fished Lough Aisling (circa 3 months) but I have never been there and considered it to be under stocked, quite the opposite. I have had some superb catches there.

Just because the fishing is difficult does not mean that the Lough is necessarily in need of increased stocking.

Never fished it myself, the lad did say it hasn't been stocked since July.

If it has not been stocked since July then anglers will need to adjust their tactics to tempt the more educated trout. Dropping leader diameter and fly size should result in increased catches. The trout will have seen every lure under the sun by this stage.

The majority of my best catches there have come to size 18 buzzers and diawl bachs fished on a 25 foot leader of 3lb maxima or small dries fished on a tippet of 0.12mm diameter Triana Grand Match (a high tech pole line).

I have fished a number of the stocked trout fisheries Annamoe, Rathbeggan, Corkagh, Maynooth and Aisling. Out of those fisheries Aisling is by far my favourite. Yes the fishing can be challenging but it is very rewarding.

If it has not been stocked since July then anglers will need to adjust their tactics to tempt the more educated trout. Dropping leader diameter and fly size should result in increased catches. The trout will have seen every lure under the sun by this stage.

The majority of my best catches there have come to size 18 buzzers and diawl bachs fished on a 25 foot leader of 3lb maxima or small dries fished on a tippet of 0.12mm diameter Triana Grand Match (a high tech pole line).

I have fished a number of the stocked trout fisheries Annamoe, Rathbeggan, Corkagh, Maynooth and Aisling. Out of those fisheries Aisling is by far my favourite. Yes the fishing can be challenging but it is very rewarding.

Hmmm . . . .all this fishing talk has me keen to get the rods out this weekend.

Yeah, a trip up there is definetly on my to do list. I heard a lot of good things about it and not just the fishing. I think stocked lakes do need to offer a resonable chance for prople to catch fish, I mean if somebody whats to blank a few outings in a row they should just go to Corrib in July. Not sure I would continually hand over cash if I taught there was not a good head of fish in a lake. The problem a lot of the competitors might of had last week is that as was said already the fish have probably seen everything on offer at this stage. Also a lot of fish were probably caught and released or pricked, and as you say the only way to go then is small....

Let us know where you end up Experimenter and how you get on....

• Advertisement

I do like Lough Aisling, one of my faves. Only been there twice this summer but it was good craic. Yes they have seen everything but here's my tip.........BOOBIES!!! On the surface mind, get a good plop down presentation and leave it for 5/10 secs, then if nothing takes, strip like a hoor like it was a muddler. Best colours are green/white or green/black. Has never failed for me there.... :D

Will probably get there in December and January when most other places are closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭wgsten

Lough Aishling
    I was over fishing on Lough Aishling today and i had a great day out. I caught and released over twenty fish and hooked and missed as many more. I also was over there last Sat. and also had a good day out with a total of eleven fish caught and released. All of them were caught while i was fishing with dry flies. Today i caught the fish on a variety of methods including fishing dry flies. I can certainly recommend a day out there.
    wgsten

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭experimenter

All good replies lads..Just watching the weather, so I might try Rathcon Farm tomorrow as it looks a better day than Monday.

Just read http://www.anirishanglersworld.com/index.php/2010/10/autumn-at-rathcon-trout-fishery/ article and it's only an hour from me.

Thinking an early start and fish for the afternoon....

Will see how things go...

Just entered for a competition at Rathcon tomorrow morning at 11am...

Was suppose to fish bleach lough competition this weekend, but it was postponed, so this will be a nice replacement.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭bayliner

DVD-Lots wrote: »
    Heading to Cloghan on Monday with a workmate, looking forward to it! :D
    hope to get to cloghan on thurs or fri next week, let me know how you get on????

havent been there since august

Fished Rathcon today. Finished in the prizes and 6th over all with 5 fish in total. My largest fish was 56cm...cracking fish.

I had a great day and it was challenging to fish for the first time.

Thanks to Dermot and all at Rathcon Lakes for a great day out.

Looking forward to going back.

Had a good day on Cloghan, was tough early on but finally pulled out the i5 line and an orange blob and took 6 in the last hour and a half. 9 in total for me, good fun, a couple of pics below, and yes it was frickin freezing!!!

2rnx3id.jpg

ev8kk2.jpg

bayliner wrote: »
    hope to get to cloghan on thurs or fri next week, let me know how you get on????

havent been there since august

Will be there on Friday again, hope the weather stays dry!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭thehamo

was out in Donabate Sunday and today. Nothin much to speak of. One dab about 3 inches long. Tide went out so had to go home. Today, surf was very big made conditions a bit too heavy, tried for 3 hours got fed up.

Il get that bass some day!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭wgsten

Curragh Springs Fishery
    Over the weekend i was fishing on a fishery that has only opened recently. Full report on here :http://bit.ly/a2z4CD
    wgsten

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭TimMac

great article wgsten thanks!!!
    wgsten wrote: »
    Curragh Springs Fishery
    Over the weekend i was fishing on a fishery that has only opened recently. Full report on here :http://bit.ly/a2z4CD
    wgsten

Advertisement