Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2k build, yay or nay.

Options
  • 21-10-2010 10:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭

Well basically i'm looking to build my own legit gaming rig, looking to spend around 2,000. Even a bit more if need be. I was looking around the net, as this is my first build, and stumbled accross this > http://www.komplettblog.ie/build-your-own-gaming-pc/ < and it really caught my eye, everything looks fine ect.
    I was just wondering if any tech nuts could have a quick look at this and see if, well, it's worth the cash or if something better could be bought with the same price ect. Also if you think theres anything key missing, OS ect..

Nice one lads.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Nay to a 2K build (Unless you want to go down the 3 screen eyefinity route). There would be much better value in an i5 build, with no performance loss (gaming wise),

I would go with something like this: an i5 with a HD 5850 and a 27" monitor for 1300. Not including OS or Keyboards, speakers etc. AMD are launching new cards tommorrow so worth waiting to see what effect this will have on prices / the new 6870 may worth consideration instead of the 58XXs.

131791.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭kev_like

I'll look into it tomorrow when they're released, one question, which site is it you're using to price all this? Or which site in general do you use for your buys.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,460 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

thats www.hardwareversand.de
    it's a German company and as such they make efficient pc's at affordable prices ;)

Thanks for the site, been looking for a good, cheap priced but yet dependable site to use. Been recommended newegg but i'll check this one out too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭the untitled user

kev_like wrote: »
    Thanks for the site, been looking for a good, cheap priced but yet dependable site to use. Been recommended newegg but i'll check this one out too.

newegg is based in the states and they don't ship outside it.

• Advertisement

newegg is based in the states and they don't ship outside it.

Didn't know that, nice one for the heads up (Y)

• Registered Users Posts: 43 teg23

Kev_like

Do you need it now? The reason I ask is that there are a number of interesting techs on the way (EOY 2010/early/Q1 2011; e.g Sandy Bridge from Intel, Bulldozer from AMD), as well as the new AMD 6870s (although these are probably out by now) etc. I'm not advocating 'waiting for the next big thing' as we could all do that and never get new stuff! It's just that in this instance you may get better bang for your buck by holding on until Xmas/Jan if you can. (Either new tech or cheaper prices on existing stuff).

Having said that, the builds/sites mentioned are pretty good and would serve you well for a long time.

Regards

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Jonny7

www.techpowerup.com

6870 looking like a sweet card.. prices showing up 200 to 220 euros

A few percent faster than a 5850.

The Nvidia cards also shooting down in price

wait a few days for things to settle down maybe

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

ya the new amd cards seem amazing but if your on a massive budget id wait another month as thats when the high end 6900 series come out

teg23 wrote: »
    Kev_like

Do you need it now? The reason I ask is that there are a number of interesting techs on the way (EOY 2010/early/Q1 2011; e.g Sandy Bridge from Intel, Bulldozer from AMD), as well as the new AMD 6870s (although these are probably out by now) etc. I'm not advocating 'waiting for the next big thing' as we could all do that and never get new stuff! It's just that in this instance you may get better bang for your buck by holding on until Xmas/Jan if you can. (Either new tech or cheaper prices on existing stuff).

Having said that, the builds/sites mentioned are pretty good and would serve you well for a long time.

Regards

In reading all this I think i'll wait till after xmas and then get the rig. Considering prices will probably of dropped by then/by then i'll have a bigger budget. So keep your eye out for a new post late december/january if you feel like lending a hand :P

• Advertisement
Advertisement