Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The German Christmas Market may not now happen in Galway

Options
  • 21-10-2010 10:40am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭

because the organisers want a Beer Keller which is in essence an open air bar serving hot port, and mulled wine, which is all part and parcel of the christmas markets in European cities.

they probably don't understand that once alcohol is involved the locals tend to go crazy drinking, bringing their own buckfast, causing trouble and probably smashing the place to bits. We are definitely NOT like our European counterparts when it comes to sipping wine, or sipping mulled wine while walking round a market.

a wino's haven.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭yeehaw

You are an awful dose.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭paulusdu

There has been a German Market up in Dublin for the last few years, nothing has been smashed, apart from the odd dropped mug of mulled wine. There has been no trouble, they open earlyish and close early too. I have never once seen a bit of trouble there.
    Galway will be no different.
    It would be great to have one in Galway, i'd definatly bring my kids into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Dunjohn

a wino's haven.

That'll leave Eyre Square free for the rest of us then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭magentas

the title said the market may not go ahead now...I was expecting a news story or some link suggesting as much...is this just your wish opinion and it is in actual fact still going ahead?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

The Mulled wine & beer tent at Belfast city hall christmas market is also trouble free in my experience.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭dolphin city

magentas wrote: »
    the title said the market may not go ahead now...I was expecting a news story or some link suggesting as much...is this just your wish opinion and it is in actual fact still going ahead?

its nothing to do with me - it was in the Independent yesterday - y'know the free Galway newspaper that comes directly to your house. I was just passing on the message for those who don't receive/too lazy to read the Indo. :D:D:D

here it is

http://www.galwayindependent.com/local-news/local-news/stalled/

sorry if I am not allowed to do this.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

For you Fritz, the festive season is over?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

Wasn't there open air beer at the Volvo Ocean race? I don't recall any problems during that... in fact, quite the opposite... everyone was in such a good mood and everyone was a lot more polite than I'd ever seen them, it made me proud of Galway.

Since they'll probably be charging at least a tenner per mug of mulled wine (Refills being a bit cheaper and a mug return to get some money back if you don't want the souvenir - They charge a bit less on the continent which is what I'm basing this on) I doubt anyone is gonna get sloshed on it. Unless they bring a naggin of something themselves... and they could do that anytime.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

they probably don't understand that once alcohol is involved the locals tend to go crazy drinking, bringing their own buckfast, causing trouble and probably smashing the place to bits. We are definitely NOT like our European counterparts when it comes to sipping wine, or sipping mulled wine while walking round a market.
    I think this is ridiculous, fair enough when we go out for a pint it can turn into 15 pints but we don't break down into alcoholic messes every time we're within 10 feet of alcohol. Mulled wine is rotten, you only drink it at Christmas to warm up. If the guards did their job, which would involve just standing or patrolling that area to deter scumbags.

• Advertisement

Xiney wrote: »
    Wasn't there open air beer at the Volvo Ocean race? I don't recall any problems during that... in fact, quite the opposite... everyone was in such a good mood and everyone was a lot more polite than I'd ever seen them, it made me proud of Galway.

Since they'll probably be charging at least a tenner per mug of mulled wine (Refills being a bit cheaper and a mug return to get some money back if you don't want the souvenir - They charge a bit less on the continent which is what I'm basing this on) I doubt anyone is gonna get sloshed on it. Unless they bring a naggin of something themselves... and they could do that anytime.

they won't be giving out mugs - (if it goes ahead). It will be plastic all the way.

they won't be giving out mugs - (if it goes ahead). It will be plastic all the way.

Well then I'm not going.

I was only going to go to get a mug.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Well then I'm not going.

I was only going to go to get a mug.
    You could go and call people mugs instead, that's fun too.

its nothing to do with me - it was in the Independent yesterday - y'know the free Galway newspaper that comes directly to your house. I was just passing on the message for those who don't receive/too lazy to read the Indo. :D:D:D

so you think I'm too lazy to read the paper but I'll come on-line and ask for a link to read it?
    Doesn't make sense really does it?
    There was no source so I thought it was your opinion because it sounded so negative:p

So it's the guards that are trying to throw a spanner in the works
    Jesus they make us sound like completely uncivilized muck-savages!

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭dreenman

Why do we want to have one of these awful, commercial, plastic German markets anyway? They are all the same - full of cinammon smelling tat and large sausages. Nothing to do with Christmas.

Why dont we let our local traders/ craftsmen / farmers markets etc have use of Eyre square for a couple of weeks.

so you think I'm too lazy to read the paper but I'll come on-line and ask for a link to read it?
    Doesn't make sense really does it?
    There was no source so I thought it was your opinion because it sounded so negative:p

So it's the guards that are trying to throw a spanner in the works
    Jesus they make us sound like completely uncivilized muck-savages!

well if you are ever in town early on a sunday morning you would be inclined to agree with them.

so I'm negative am I - or am I just stating a fact - I remember one mug that started dissing "negative" people, telling them they should go off and commit suicide...........turned out they were only telling the truth after all. Can you name that mug?? :rolleyes:

dreenman wrote: »
    Why do we want to have one of these awful, commercial, plastic German markets anyway? They are all the same - full of cinammon smelling tat and large sausages. Nothing to do with Christmas.

Why dont we let out local traders/ craftsmen / farmers markets etc have use of Eyre square for a couple of weeks.

But I like large sausages :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

The German Christmas Market may not now happen in Galway

Good.

There's all sorts of arguments against it, but I for one will be glad if Eyre Square is kept for the people. I love nothing more than my Christmas morning walk, seeing the place all empty.

Wasn't looking forward to being faced with a barbed wire fence with guard towers opening fire on attempted tresspassers.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭dreenman

But I like large sausages :(

My size doesnt matter argument has never really rung true.

There was a guy that used to sell Large Sauages from a van around the Ballyvaughan, Bellharbour, Kinvara area I'm sure he would be up for an IRISH Christmas Market in Eyre square .... Actually come to think of it he was German!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Size does matter, you tend to get more pork for your dollar
    but galway is not germany so the market idea is a bit too much imho

• Advertisement

dreenman wrote: »

Why dont we let our local traders/ craftsmen / farmers markets etc have use of Eyre square for a couple of weeks.

oh, I thought they would be selling wooden stuff, and big sausages, not plastic stuff and big sausages.

they won't let the local traders have access to eyre square because people would say "thats not new" and they wouldn't be inclined to go there. A bit like their brainwave of "if we call the quay street area the latin quarter, people will fall for this sh*t and they will flock to the place and spend all their hard earned money" (snigger).

The local traders are just too........................local !!

they think we are all FOOLS. :D

snubbleste wrote: »

and the dollar is not our currencey either.

dollar is just a generic term for fiat currency, fundamentally worthless paper that has been assigned an agreed value

There used to be lots of market traders in eyre square up until recent years, when the Council either banned them or made it prohibitive to trade

dollar is just a generic term for fiat currency, fundamentally worthless paper that has been assigned an agreed value

i thought fiat was car? Is it a german car? will they be selling them at the german market in eyre square - will you have to pay in dollars?? so many questions.

well if you are ever in town early on a sunday morning you would be inclined to agree with them.

so I'm negative am I - or am I just stating a fact - I remember one mug that started dissing "negative" people, telling them they should go off and commit suicide...........turned out they were only telling the truth after all. Can you name that mug?? :rolleyes:
    huh? you've lost me

anyways cheers for the link

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭flugel

Bloody cops afraid of a little extra work. Not that it'd be my cup of tea but it would be a great boost to the city and a disgrace if it doesn't go ahead.

huh? you've lost me

anyways cheers for the link

ah magentas - just as I thought - if you don't know what I am talking about then maybe you either don't bother with current affairs are you ARE too lazy to pick up a paper - even the dogs on the street know the answer. :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭MazG

c_man wrote: »
    Good.

There's all sorts of arguments against it, but I for one will be glad if Eyre Square is kept for the people. I love nothing more than my Christmas morning walk, seeing the place all empty.

Wasn't looking forward to being faced with a barbed wire fence with guard towers opening fire on attempted tresspassers.

Well when I lived in Manchester, the Christmas markets had all packed up and left by the 22nd or so of Dec, so your Christmas morning walk need not be hindered.

What I don't understand about the Garda objection is that it sounds like they've done no research on what happens in other cities where Christmas Markets take place. For example, the markets I've been to in Belfast and Manchester were set up so that there were only X amounts of entrances and exits and at each one, there were stewards making sure that people did not leave the market area with their drinks. From what I've read in the Galway Independant, it seems that the Guards are imagining that it will be a giant bushing session in Eyre Square.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭markesmith

Aw come on...Lidl, Aldi...and we've got enough US businesses around as well.

Having seen the Xmas markets in Prague and Vienna, I think it's a nice touch. Doesn't matter that we're not Germanic people. There are a lot of German people in Galway, and they had a large hand in setting up the original Galway market.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement