Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The German Christmas Market may not now happen in Galway

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭dolphin city

markesmith wrote: »
    Aw come on...Lidl, Aldi...and we've got enough US businesses around as well.

Having seen the Xmas markets in Prague and Vienna, I think it's a nice touch. Doesn't matter that we're not Germanic people. There are a lot of German people in Galway, and they had a large hand in setting up the original Galway market.

what do you mean - they had a large part in setting up the original Galway market?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 kelly1939

"the locals" don't go crazy all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭magentas

ah magentas - just as I thought - if you don't know what I am talking about then maybe you either don't bother with current affairs are you ARE too lazy to pick up a paper - even the dogs on the street know the answer. :D:D
    I don't know what you're on about
    maybe you could try speaking english instead of speaking in riddles and trying to make yourself sound intelligent

I'm talking about the christmas market here. Is it related to that?

If not please clarify

Or does anybody else "get it"?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

they won't let the local traders have access to eyre square because people would say "thats not new" and they wouldn't be inclined to go there.

Well in fairness, if it was just the same crowd selling awful rainbow knitted hats and cheap trinkets imported from indonesia etc. then I wouldn't be inclined to go either.

But I think the local food stalls (cheese and preserves sellers, the bakeries, etc) should be allowed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

magentas wrote: »
    maybe you could try speaking english instead of speaking in riddles and trying to make yourself sound intelligent

If not please clarify

He's talking about Bertie Ahern wondering aloud if cribbers, moaners and naysayers about the property bubble shouldn't just off themselves to save themselves from their crippling property depression.

Nothing to do with Christmas markets...

• Advertisement

If not please clarify

i don't see any riddles in my posts.

so you think I'm too lazy to read the paper but I'll come on-line and ask for a link to read it?
    Doesn't make sense really does it?
    There was no source so I thought it was your opinion because it sounded so negative:p

So it's the guards that are trying to throw a spanner in the works
    Jesus they make us sound like completely uncivilized muck-savages!

popebuckfast "gets it"

it was you that brought up the negativity vibe magentas and remarking about me saying that people might be too lazy to read the paper. Just wanted to know if you kept up with current affairs and just missed this story, or do you not keep up with whats going on at all - no need to reply tho - you've already answered my question. :D:D

now back to the Christmas markets.

oh right, you were talking about mugs and suicide which translates to bertie and property.
    See I was just talking about the market and asking for a possible link which you eventually supplied and I thanked you for.

Don't know why you went so off topic with something so irrelevant
    You might try to stay on topic and if you want to blow on about politics or property take it to relevant forums

good man

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Not to be alcohol-type-ist, but didn't I read somewhere that the beer Keller would have port, mulled wine, and 17 different types of beer?
    Now a hot toddy is lovely to sip and shop with (if you know who to ask at the regular Market, you could get sorted in the past ;) ) but the beer thing may be overkill. A lot of people
    in a small space with beer and kids? I am torn on it tbh.

@ Xiney, odd though it may seem, a lot of the little import stalls selling oddities (some rubbish, some not) are the only place you used to be able to get such stuff, before the bigger chains moved in. People liked (and some still do) buying odd hats for their Dad in the Market, along with their cheese, veg, etc. It was kind of a tradition in itself. Sometimes you would get wonderful jewellery and fabric from traders too, stuff you couldn't get elsewhere in a regular shop, even in Ireland. As I have gotten older, I way more appreciate the value of local crafts etc, but see that some people still love the kitch stuff like glass bangles from India.

I'd love to see a percentage of the Christmas Market be for local produce only - and it may already be in the Sat Market, the rules have changed a lot since I did the stalls with friends there.

oh right, you were talking about mugs and suicide which translates to bertie and property.
    See I was just talking about the market and asking for a possible link which you eventually supplied and I thanked you for.

You might try to stay on topic and if you want to blow on about politics or property take it to relevant forums

good man

how do you know I am a man? :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

good man

how do you know I am a man? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭swine

Your OP did look like vague speculation, it would have been helpful to link it originally or even reference that it was a story. Especially seeing as it's a Galway Independent 'exclusive'. Not everyone reads each and every Galway city paper.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭odnauq

swine wrote: »
    Your OP did look like vague speculation, it would have been helpful to link it originally or even reference that it was a story. Especially seeing as it's a Galway Independent 'exclusive'. Not everyone reads each and every Galway city paper.

This same issue had a story claiming the seats in Eyre Square Park are toxic, very toxic!
    I want a nice Xmas Market with mulled wine and all the trimmings, yeah!

apologies - I have just read back all the posts on this thread and I do have to admit that my sarcasm has kind of come across as being narky and negative. I am a very sarcastic person (in a funny way) but I think the translations gets lost between the spoken word and the written word - so apologies if I came across as a nark especially to you magenta. :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

They want the sell 17 different types of beer as well!!
    Sounds like a challenge!!

In all fairness the mulled wine is grand but selling pints is not a good idea. And the locals do go crazy when drink is involved, you need only look at the state of people and the town on the nite of the guiness arthurs day nonsense a few weeks ago.

Im sorry to say that we are a nation of muck-savages when it comes to drinking.

apologies - I have just read back all the posts on this thread and I do have to admit that my sarcasm has kind of come across as being narky and negative. I am a very sarcastic person (in a funny way) but I think the translations gets lost between the spoken word and the written word - so apologies if I came across as a nark especially to you magenta. :D:D
    no worries.
    might see you at the market for a plastic cup of mulled wine:D

Around Eyre Square you can get alcohol in:

Richardson's (+off license)
    Fibbers
    O'Connell's
    Garvey's
    Foxes
    the train station
    The Meyrick
    Fagans
    The Skeff
    The Imperial
    Dunnes off license
    Club K
    Cuba + off license
    Paddy's

You could probably add another dozen places if you go out 200 meters from the square.

I think the Guards just want an excuse not to have even more crowds, traffic, pickpockets to police than a normal Christmas brings.

One more place to get alcohol won't make a difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭flugel

I think the Guards just want an excuse not to have even more crowds, traffic, pickpockets to police than a normal Christmas brings.

One more place to get alcohol won't make a difference.

+1

Lazy guards is what this is all about

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭deargas

Did we really need to get an English company to come over and show us in Galway how to setup / run a market? I read this story a few weeks ago and was pretty sickened with the deal clincher by the birdman; 'they have guaranteed to use local services for all the waste disposal' What a coup.

Isn't there a brilliant market community already established in Galway, which could easily be scaled into a full scale Christmas market, run by the people of Galway, for the city of galway, and actually generate much needed revenue for the nearly bankrupt Galway city council? Or is this just toooo outlandish an idea? I suppose so.

deargas wrote: »
    Did we really need to get an English company to come over and show us in Galway how to setup / run a market? I read this story a few weeks ago and was pretty sickened with the deal clincher by the birdman; 'they have guaranteed to use local services for all the waste disposal' What a coup.

Isn't there a brilliant market community already established in Galway, which could easily be scaled into a full scale Christmas market, run by the people of Galway, for the city of galway, and actually generate much needed revenue for the nearly bankrupt Galway city council? Or is this just toooo outlandish an idea? I suppose so.

my opinion is that the galway market no matter how great it is and how great an atmosphere there is there, is not a "new " market so they are not interested in developing THAT into a christmas market. They want something "new" so that everybody will rush to it to spend their money because of the fact that it is NEW.

The Galway market is unique and should be the market that is being promoted but they don't want that. They want to fool us into parting with money at the "new" market.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭philbo

I was in Edinburgh last year at the start of December, and they had a great Christmas market. The scots are worse than us for the drink, and there was no problems at all with it. They didn't even have the area cordoned off, you could stroll in and out of it at your leisure.

The location was what made it though, in the Princes st gardens, with a Ferris wheel and various other rides, an ice rink, and some great stalls. There wasn't too many stalls for alcohol, maybe 2 or 3 selling mulled wine, but most was great food. Really enjoyed it. Don't think we're (the Irish) capable of organising anything that good though.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭deargas

my opinion is that the galway market no matter how great it is and how great an atmosphere there is there, is not a "new " market so they are not interested in developing THAT into a christmas market. They want something "new" so that everybody will rush to it to spend their money because of the fact that it is NEW.

The Galway market is unique and should be the market that is being promoted but they don't want that. They want to fool us into parting with money at the "new" market.

Agreed, and the fact that the lions share of the money is going to leave the country in the back pockets of Market Place Europe doesn't seem to bother anyone? I don't mind the 'new' thing. What would be soo difficult about setting up the Christmas market in Eyre square? Wouldn't it be along the same lines as the volvo race market. Or don't tell me, that was also run by marketplace europe?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭inisboffin

I think it is also the 'wandering around with beer in a cup' (around children, clothes, food etc) that's part of it, as opposed to sitting down chatting in a pub.
    It is still a no no to drink on the streets, even though people do it regularly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 galwaybound

Most cities have these markets in the run-up to Christmas, they are great and would be well suited to Galway. Think it will be mostly families and groups of friends/couples who will attend so imagine it will be "civilised" enough :D
    The ones in Belfast, Glasgow and in German cities I have been too are always brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭eagle10

Hopefully its good will be nice to walk around

• Registered Users Posts: 25,968 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

snubbleste wrote: »
    There used to be lots of market traders in eyre square up until recent years, when the Council either banned them or made it prohibitive to trade

There still is one local trader there on a regular basis, and I notice he was kicking up a stink over "toxic" waste in his neighbourhood very recently. As I understand, while the council were trying to get him move along before, he made a lot of trouble for them. Wonder what's happening now ..

• Registered Users Posts: 25,968 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

deargas wrote: »
    Agreed, and the fact that the lions share of the money is going to leave the country in the back pockets of Market Place Europe doesn't seem to bother anyone?

No, because I believe that a fair bit will also go from tourists into the back pockets of staff who get local jobs that would not otherwise have existed. Marketplace Europe are taking some risk and doing some work to put on the event, I don't begrudge them profiting from it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭soundbyte

EDIT:

OK, I heard it was pulled by the promoter.

6pm news on GBFM says a compromise proposal is being put to promoter.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

soundbyte wrote: »
    EDIT:

OK, I heard it was pulled by the promoter.

6pm news on GBFM says a compromise proposal is being put to promoter.

The promoter wasn't willing to put it on without the Bier Keller, the guards would oppose a bier keller. I'm with the promoter on this one, I was at the Octoberfest in Dublin a few weeks back which is all about booze and there wasn't any trouble there, everyone was in great form.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Das Kitty wrote: »
    The promoter wasn't willing to put it on without the Bier Keller, the guards would oppose a bier keller.

Seeing as it was overground it couldn't possibly be a Keller could it .?

I believe that what they were proposing was a "Stube", anything else would be false advertising and we can't have that can we? :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement