Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The German Christmas Market may not now happen in Galway

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Seeing as it was overground it couldn't possibly be a Keller could it .?

I believe that what they were proposing was a "Stube", anything else would be false advertising and we can't have that can we? :D

Well, I'm afraid you are wrong there. There are loads of "Kellers" in Frankonia and none of them are underground. They are really beer gardens which are sometimes but not always located next to mostly disuses cellars/caves, which were used to store beer in the pre-fridge days. Have a look at the area between Bamberg and Erlangen you will find plenty!!!

It's a real shame we won't have the market now - was really looking forward to it :(

CC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 lilygirl

Agree with dolphin city.

Anyway in my opinion City Council is so useless, can`t organize anything. Why would they pay 70.000 to some english comp for settin up 70 small market spaces. They should have them organized by them selfs ( many builders and carpenters is now without any jobs). 70.000 will be taken now to England. Town is gettin only 10.000 eu for the rates. It is suppose to start 19th of Nov and they don`t have the premission jet:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Semper Hibernia

It's crazy if such a great idea falls apart over something as simple as selling beer. You can't have a real German Christmas market without beer stalls.

I've been to the Birmingham Frankfurt Christmas Market in the UK a few times (in its 10th year now). There are beer tents, plus wine etc, and crowds of families with children wandering about. The Brits are worse than us with drink, but I've not seen problems - they have stewards patrolling - haven't noticed a police presence. Locals love it and it brings in a load of money from tourists - Birmingham's not exactly a tourist detination the rest of the year! Sure there are lots of drinking places on Eyre Square, but part of the fun is being in the crowd.

If they could sort out stewards/security for the Volvo, surely they can do it for this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

I'm not usually one to bash the guards but if the reason this isn't going ahead is because the guards objected to the selling of alcohol then they as a collective need a slap. As was pointed out there's dozens of pubs within a stones throw of the square. Pesonally I can see absolutely no downsides to this market, having it there would be more likely to clean up the square and make it better than usual, compared to the usual bull**** that goes on there. I was quite looking forward to it and I hate christmas shopping, I think I will do all my present shopping online to spite any miserable prick that complained about the beer stalls or the 'potential loss to local business'.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭ErnieBert

It's going ahead after all

http://www.galwaynews.ie/15727-christmas-market-saved-eleventh-hour

I am posting this on the 25th of October. The date on the link is the 26th of October. Do I have magical powers?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

It's crazy if such a great idea falls apart over something as simple as selling beer. You can't have a real German Christmas market without beer stalls.
    Not that weissbier wouldn't be welcome, but yes you can - Glühwein. I've been to German christmas market things in Belfast, Dublin and Frankfurt, beer wasn't being sold on the streets.
    I've been to the Birmingham Frankfurt Christmas Market in the UK a few times (in its 10th year now). There are beer tents, plus wine etc, and crowds of families with children wandering about. The Brits are worse than us with drink, but I've not seen problems - they have stewards patrolling - haven't noticed a police presence. Locals love it and it brings in a load of money from tourists - Birmingham's not exactly a tourist detination the rest of the year! Sure there are lots of drinking places on Eyre Square, but part of the fun is being in the crowd.

If they could sort out stewards/security for the Volvo, surely they can do it for this?
    Agreed, but you must remember that we have our reputation as drunken mischievous rogues to maintain, especially given the current economic climate/crisis/low pressure cell.
    Sure you can't be having alcohol being sold and consumed in the open air without burning a few buildings down and hospitalising a few of the lads.

We'd never live it down.

</sarc>

As for the pubs, if they're afraid of losing trade, they should just close up now.
    Get a few kegs of Paulaner in from the distributers, put the barstaff in leiderhosen and paddycaps and embrace it for the few nights.
    Gifthorse, inspect the teeth at your peril.
    Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Seeing as it was overground it couldn't possibly be a Keller could it .?

I believe that what they were proposing was a "Stube", anything else would be false advertising and we can't have that can we? :D

Have it in deBurgos, not like it would be different from the Oktoberféisí they have had on there in the past. Problem solved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭dolphin city

i wonder were they just trying to get us used to the German culture, seen that Germany more or less owns us now.

The Galway Christmas Market is now going ahead.

Lots of people are happy about this but lots of people are against is also. It sounds like a great show for a month before Christmas in Galway. Are the local traders allowed a spot there also?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭death1234567

The Galway Christmas Market is now going ahead.
    That's good news. Hopefully it will add something to the city around Xmas.
    Are the local traders allowed a spot there also?
    "One third of the stalls are to be occupied by local traders."

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭Storm 10

There is hardly a need to start another thread on this market in Galway you started a thread before on it and its still running no point in having two of them on the same subject.

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056067146

• Advertisement

sorry about that - had forgotten - maybe biko can merge them together. I'm old and not very good at computers. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

Merged.

/moderation

thanks popebuckfast.

Glad to see that the local traders will have a chance to sell there also.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Eyre Square will be transformed into a winter wonderland between November 19 and December 19, where there will be up to 70 stalls and wooden alpine chalets within the perimeters...
    Constance Cassidy, Senior Counsel for MT Mono Trading Ltd (Hotel Meyrick),said that the event would generate an estimated €10 million for the local economy, and would attract about 300,000 visitors during that period.

Does anyone think that €10m being spent as a result of a little market is a bit high?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,968 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

That'll include multiplier stuff too: accommodation for the visiting traders, probably increased summer tourism as a result of the publicity during winter when people are planning their holidays, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭ghosttown

Ok Galway people, help me out here....want to bring the kids over to see the Christmas market, but google of 'Galway Christmas Market' gives me galwaymarket.com which is 14th -24th Dec in a church grounds somewhere...and looks like crafts and vegtables ?

I thought it was a bit bigger and in the city center ? And on earlier ?

Will there be gingerbread men for my little men, and a magical atmosphere...that's what they need ! :)

I think it is starting on November 19 for one month and it will be up at Eyre Square in the middle of town.

There is a weekly veg and other item market every Saturday and Sunday down the bottom of the town.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭shakin

Christmas tree was put up yesterday and some panels for stalls or ring fenced were being unloaded this morning. Looking forward to it :)

Fencing has been erected, what looks like floor-panels for stalls are stacked up, Secure-all have guards in place to keep the messers out of the way. And Christmas deccos are installed on lots of the city streets already, wayyy earlier than I remember in other years.

Dunno if there will be gingerbread or not, but I'm guessing that magical it will be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭[-0-]

Soooo looking forward to this!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Why is this thread still open? The title is confusing.:confused:

Following this article in the paper earlier in the year:

http://www.advertiser.ie/galway/article/28278

Mr Just would like to say that he's impressed with the garden sheds that the council have been putting up in Eyre Square, and he wonders if it's too late to apply for an allotment ;)

I told him I'd see if any of ye had heard anything

• Registered Users Posts: 8,138 ✭✭✭dinneenp

JustMary wrote: »
    Following this article in the paper earlier in the year:

http://www.advertiser.ie/galway/article/28278

Mr Just would like to say that he's impressed with the garden sheds that the council have been putting up in Eyre Square, and he wonders if it's too late to apply for an allotment ;)

I told him I'd see if any of ye had heard anything

I heard that the spaces/allotments are very expensive....presume they're all taken.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,138 ✭✭✭dinneenp

I had this idea for a summer food festival for Galway. It's not something that I'm going to work on to try to bring to fruition- take this idea Joachaim if you want.

I know Galway has the Oyster festival but I have another food suggestion-
    Have a food weekend where food businesses can set up a stall (maybe in Eyre Sq or the empty space by the Docks).
    People can buy a dish from them (like Taste of Dublin/Cork).
    But here's the main bit- have a panel of judges vote on the best chips, burger, chicken wings, hot chocolate, muffin etc. in Galway.
    Results could be then publicised and premises could use the results for promoting their business (voted best/2nd best burger in Galway etc).

Cheers,
    Pa.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Columc

Dont want to quote the big ass letter, But wasnt this just a noermal chrismtass market, and not a german one. The only part of the german one was the beer garden tenet and that was the reasoning why it might not of went ahead cause of sruving alcohol. I dont think any other part of that market was german.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭Asmodean

I don't see why everyone is getting their knickers in a twist over this still. So what if it wasn't completely German. It was a bit of craic and somewhere else for us to poke around for a while over christmas. Some people just love the sound of their own whinging voices...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭TheCosmicFrog

I thought I was going mad for a second...

Screenshot-2-1.png

Wait, is there going to be a German market for Christmas '10 or not? :confused:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement