Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Napoli v Liverpool 18.00 KO Europa League

• 21-10-2010 11:13am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭

[insert crests malarky here]

Ho hum, it would not be an exaggeration to say many LFC supporters are actually hoping that Napoli thrash the Reds tonight and that Roy Hodgson resigns overnight. However if the current chatter is right he's a gonner anyway and so maybe we really should all look for a morale boosting win.

A win that is going to be all the less likely as RH has left Gerrard and Torres at home with the Blackburn Rovers game in mind.

The LFC squad is

Reina, Jones, Hansen (Martin!), Konchesky, Aurelio, Kyrgiakos, Skrtel, Wilson, Carragher, Kelly, Spearing, Poulsen, Shelvey, Maxi, Babel, Jovanovic, Pacheco, Eccleston, Cole, Ngog.

They could line out quite progressively but

Riena
    Carra--Soto-Skrtel-Konchesky
    Spearing-Poulson
    Maxi
    Cole
    Jovanovic
    Ngog

is all too likely.

Napoli are 4th in Serie A so must fancy their chances.

There has been some pre-match violence with LFC fans and an English family who were presumed to be supporters attacked. While some apparently random youths decided to dig holes in the pitch a few days ago.

Just the right sort of atmosphere for a lousy night.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭allanb49

Just heard two fans stabbed in Napoli?

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,12962_6457876,00.html
    Two Liverpool FC fans have been stabbed in Naples ahead of the club's Europa League match against Napoli.

The trouble flared on Wednesday night ahead of Thursday's game at the San Paolo stadium.

Reports also suggest a third Liverpool fan was in hospital in a non-serious condition following a separate incident where a gang of youths armed with knives approached the English supporters.

English tourists mistaken for Liverpool fans were also accosted by locals at a restaurant with reports saying stones were thrown.

Three local men were arrested following the incident.
    Information

"We are still gathering information with regards to yesterday's incidents," said a Naples police spokesperson.

"Four people of the same family, a father, a mother and their two sons, were attacked last night and needed medical attention.

"Due to the aggression, three Naples citizens were arrested."

The incidents are sure to mean Italian police will be on high alert in case of further clashes ahead of the game on Thursday evening.

-=-=-=-=-=-

In other news

Iron Maiden frontman Bruce Dickinson has flown Liverpool's squad to Naples for their Europa League tie with Napoli.

Dickinson captained the aircraft that departed John Lennon airport for Italy at 11am.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭The Rooster

mike65 wrote: »
    The LFC squad is

Reina, Jones, Hansen (Martin!), Konchesky, Aurelio, Kyrgiakos, Skrtel, Wilson, Carragher, Kelly, Spearing, Poulsen, Shelvey, Maxi, Babel, Jovanovic, Pacheco, Eccleston, Cole, Ngog.

They could line out quite progressively but

Riena
    Carra--Soto-Skrtel-Konchesky
    Lucas-Poulson
    Maxi
    Cole
    Jovanovic
    Ngog

is all too likely.

I've seen that Hansen chap play twice for the reserves and he's been awful both times. The worst reserve keeper I've seen since LFC TV came into being.

Lucas hasn't travelled so it'll likely be Spearing beside Poulsen. In fairness to Spearing he's done a bit better in his couple of games this year than he did last year, but I think we'd all like to see Shelvey in there as he seems to have more potential.

Aurelio might get a start at LB ahead of Konch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I'd not spotted Lucas was missing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭carlop

Naples is a dangerous place if you don't have your wits about you. There's a fair few scum who have nothing better to do than fight, and if you take a wrong turn you could be in serious trouble.

Just for the sake of balance though credit has to go to the local who intervened to try and stop some Liverpool fans getting attacked. Unfortunately he took a beating for his troubles, but it was a brave thing to do.

As for the match, I expect Napoli to win and will be disappointed if they don't. While their home form hasn't been blistering this season, they are playing some good stuff, and the only way I can see them losing is if the occasion gets to them.

It may seem like a nothing game for Liverpool, but for Napoli a win would count as a win over a European power and would in their view re-establish them on the continental football map.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

oh yeah, with everything that's been going on i almost football matches were a part of the whole football thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,415 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

So with the fans attacked last night, the players might want to think about putting in some ****ing effort. It would be a disgrace to the travelling contingent for them to sit off and offer minimal resistance like they have been doing of late. Hopefully Hodgson realises this too and urges them to press a little higher up the pitch and have a go.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Spearing and Poulsen as a centre midfield combination is just attrocious. I don't know how Shelvey isn't getting a go ahead of either of them.

I certainly wouldn't say that I want us to lose, but I hope it is Roys last game in charge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭emc2

Is this not a 6pm kick off?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭brianrcarney

i am just depressed looking at the team, cup, style....or lack of!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭billymitchell

What channel is this on fella's?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

Coverage on itv 4 at 5.30

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭syngindub

CiaranC wrote: »
    Never seen anything like it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Apparently this is tonight’s team:

Reina

Kelly
    Carra
    Soto
    Konchesky

Poulsen---Spearing

----Babel
    Shelvey
    Jovanavic-

N’Gog

No Pacheco is annoying, but at least Shelvey is getting a start. At least makes me a little excited about watching the match.
    I think Dani is being solely blamed for the Northampton defeat. Has he even been on a bench since then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭billymitchell

Anybody think that Babel should get a run out tonight? I still think this chap is worth a look at every now and again. There is talent in there somewhere, just dont think his head is always in it

Edit : Sorry, didnt see whatawasters team !!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

Poulsen---Spearing ----> suicide-roulette-russe.gif

Shelvey getting a start is the only positive, looking forward to seeing him.

Opr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,654 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Apparently this is tonight’s team:

Reina

Kelly
    Carra
    Soto
    Konchesky

Poulsen---Spearing

----Babel
    Shelvey
    Jovanavic-

N’Gog

No Pacheco is annoying, but at least Shelvey is getting a start. At least makes me a little excited about watching the match.
    I think Dani is being solely blamed for the Northampton defeat. Has he even been on a bench since then?

Both our flanks look a little weak, imo. Haven't been that impressed with Jovanovic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭TheProdigy

CiaranC wrote: »

That is a spectacle, pity that the ultra groups need to use violence because they would be fabulous supporters otherwise. Their actions are resulting in a very very bad perception of people who hold their clubs in such high regards.

Come on the pool! YNWA

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,313 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Both our flanks look a little weak, imo. Haven't been that impressed with Jovanovic.
    unfortunately I think it's a little bit more than that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,654 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    unfortunately I think it's a little bit more than that.

I meant with that line-up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Shelvey is the only reason i'm looking forward to this at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

whatawaster, your team is confirmed by Jim Boardman.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

Roy obviously has some problem with him as he is not even on the bench tonight :(

Subs: Jones, Kyrgiakos, Aurelio, Wilson, Maxi, Cole, Eccleston.

Opr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

daithijjj wrote: »
    Coverage on itv 4 at 5.30

Do 3E have it aswell ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

opr wrote: »
    Roy obviously has some problem with him as he is not even on the bench tonight :(

Subs: Jones, Kyrgiakos, Aurelio, Wilson, Maxi, Cole, Eccleston.

Opr

It's because we absolutely MUST accomodate 3 defenders on the bench.

Ste- wrote: »
    Do 3E have it aswell ?

Yup, 5.55 start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Am very happy to see Shelvey finally get a run out. Really don't know how it took so long when the likes of Spearing has gotten games already this season.

But with Poulsen and Spearing on the pitch, I would be a bit concerned that Shelvey will be thrown up in the advanced midfielder/support striker role as for my money he is at his best playing as an old fashioned cm as he has a little bit of everything to his midfield game.

Would have liked to have seen Pacheco being at least on the bench, but he seems to be forgotten about again.

I think we could have put Shelvey in midfield instead of the useless Spearing, and yes I say that even with Poulsen about, and then put Pacheco as the advanced midfielder/support striker, a role that he has done very well in at times for both the ressies and the Spanish underage team.

3 italian men arrested and charged with attempted murder over the stabbings.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,313 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

What a cóck shirt Townsend has on.... obviously looking to pull later on the dancefloor!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

3 italian men arrested and charged with attempted murder over the stabbings.

Good enough for the cunts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,021 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

mike65 wrote: »
    [insert crests malarky here]

Ho hum, it would not be an exaggeration to say many LFC supporters are actually hoping that Napoli thrash the Reds tonight

Anybody hoping for that is not a real fan of the club. They might think they are but no real fan ever wants their club to lose any game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

I'm of the same opinion as SlicRic - only looking forward to the game because we'll finally get to see some more of Shelvey. Ideally, like other posters here have already mentioned, I'd prefer to see him in CM instead of Spearing with Pacheco behind N'Gog but we'll take whats given to us.

I know he's only been at the club a short while but tbh I'd prefer to see Ecclestone instead of Jovanovic, I feel he deserves a chance, like Pacheco, after playing some great stuff for the reserves in recent weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭KungPao

Anyone watching ITV4?

What's with Andy's shirt?

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭MR NINE

Ntl is telling me itv4s program is unavailable in the ROI. Anyone else getting this problem?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Not trying to go off topic but is anybody watching it on 3e online?? There's nothing showing up for me - just a sign saying "Up next Liverpool vs. Napoli" - Does it normally not start streaming until kick off??

EDIT- It came up there, C'mon the boys!! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭jebidiah

havent seen a game in ageeesss, YNWA come on the SUPER REDS! if any of the young players have the balls to show the new owners their worth, tonights the night!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭Revolution9

COYR

jova on the right babel on the left :(

PaulieC wrote: »
    Not trying to go off topic but is anybody watching it on 3e online?? There's nothing showing up for me - just a sign saying "Up next Liverpool vs. Napoli" - Does it normally not start streaming until kick off??

EDIT- It came up there, C'mon the boys!! :)

Backup if it goes down. ;)

http://entertainmenow.net/channel2.php

Babel you stocking

• Advertisement

Oh Babel

The chap is useless, can't believe Pacheco isn't in this team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Thief

3e commentary is so poor!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭Fowler87

That 3e commentator is shocking bad altogether

Say what you like about 3e, but anything beats listening to Andy Towsnhend

3e commentary is so poor!

At least they got rid of Jeff Kenna that time in fairness. 3e standard commentary for 3e standard football i'm afraid.

happy with the performance so far (15 mins). looking solid enough.

Say what you like about 3e, but anything beats listening to Andy Towsnhend

The comm on itv is peter drury and jim beglin, you only have to sit through andy's shirt at half time :pac:

Who is their left winger? what a ball, sign him up..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭blindpilot

The comm on itv is peter drury and jim beglin, you only have to sit through andy's shirt at half time :pac:

And Hamann's strange German-Scouser accent.

• Advertisement
Advertisement