Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Napoli v Liverpool 18.00 KO Europa League

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Decent enough, some good patches of possession play (nearly forgot what that looks like) Shelveys confidence with ball at feet is refreshing to watch, Babels complete lack of same is just grim. Skrtel (apart from his silly yellow), Kelly and Small fella, all doing well.

Napoli not living up to the hype, Dossena was probably their best outlet. Make of that what you will.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

opr wrote: »
    Ah come on lads I am all for being harsh on Hodgson but that was a pretty good first half display. We are away from home in Europe without many of our first team players.

Opr

That would have been a decent first-half performance for a team like Fulham in a poxy second rate competition. However, this is Liverpool he's in charge of now, a club that has won the European Cup five times and where standards and expectations are significantly higher. He doesn't seem to realise this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

yeah, let's give credit where it's due.

that was at least half-decent.

which is better than all our 1st halves this season bar maybe Arsenal at Anfield.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭MR NINE

I think people are being a bit too harsh on Babel on here. Granted hes lost possession a couple of times but hes put some decent balls in as well. Been a decent first half performance, but still mind numbingly boring. I thinks its a case of Napoli being poor as much as anything else. Shelveys looked good. Carragher is getting done for pace as usual, if they're gonna get a goal, its gonna be as a result of Cavani or Lavezzi out pacing Carragher I reckon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,161 ✭✭✭✭M5

Worst......Shirt.....Ever!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

I'd say this performance is like a wet dream for Roy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

t1larg.jpg

Naples police display banners and weapons seized after Liverpool fans were attacked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,570 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Ah come on lads I am all for being harsh on Hodgson but that was a pretty good first half display. We are away from home in Europe without many of our first team players.

Opr

....and why is that then....because Roy didn't pick them....Genius!

Shelvey for me was the only positive in that half.

Roy will probably take him off in 2nd half so he's rested for next reserve match!

How Italian do those Italian cops look?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,357 ✭✭✭naughto

id say roy will be doing well to hold on to this job for what ive being reading sky bet have stoped taking bets on ]Frank Rijkaard ]to be the next manager

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

I think shelvey might be the only Liverpool player I've seen thus season actually demanding that the ball is passed to him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Keep Babel on the right where he's looked slightly better - at least he's trying to go past his man, even if he's not doing a great job of it - he needs to pull up his socks tracking back however.

Jova hasn't touched the ball from what I can see - bring on Ecclestone...NOW!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

Babb-"I'll imagine he'll take Shelvey off and put cole on for more flair and creativity"

Great sub choice Babb.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,021 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

That would have been a decent first-half performance for a team like Fulham in a poxy second rate competition. However, this is Liverpool he's in charge of now, a club that has won the European Cup five times and where standards and expectations are significantly higher. He doesn't seem to realise this.

This is 2010 not 1990. Liverpool have won nothing for over 4 years. They've won two major trophies in the last 20 years unless you count the FA Cup as a major trophy.

eagle eye wrote: »
    They've won two major trophies in the last 20 years unless you count the FA Cup as a major trophy.

Of course I do, who doesn't?

Babb-"I'll imagine he'll take Shelvey off and put cole on for more flair and creativity"

Great sub choice Babb.

His brain clearly resides in his ballsack - and we all know what happened that

IDIOT!! :mad:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,313 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Carra off Kyria on Kyria to score a header from a corner for the winner

This is 2010 not 1990. Liverpool have won nothing for over 4 years. They've won two major trophies in the last 20 years unless you count the FA Cup as a major trophy.

edit! Read your post properly this time. Yes the FA Cup is a decent trouphy. If there is nothing else on.

Carragher off at half-time when there didn't seem to be anything wrong with him. Wonder if something was said in the dressing room.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

You seem to be a fan of ours, ive loads of spare jerseys in the gaff if you want one, no bother man..

Carragher off at half-time when there didn't seem to be anything wrong with him. Wonder if something was said in the dressing room.

Perhaps Roy has realised that he's shít??

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,313 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

did Pepe get the armband?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭stumpypeeps

PaulieC wrote: »
    Keep Babel on the right where he's looked slightly better - at least he's trying to go past his man, even if he's not doing a great job of it - he needs to pull up his socks tracking back however.

Jova hasn't touched the ball from what I can see - bring on Ecclestone...NOW!!

Babel is a tower of utter ****e. I wish fans would stop deluding themselves. He's not of the standard required. Rather see a bottle of Lucozade on the right, it'd be of some benefit to the team.

Babel is a tower of utter ****e. I wish fans would stop deluding themselves. He's not of the standard required. Rather see a bottle of Lucozade on the right, it'd be of some benefit to the team.

LEEEEGO!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

Its a second rate competition so he has picked a second rate team and they are doing a Job. You sound like some raving loonatic who isn't even looking at the situation and is just chanting Roy OUT regardless. Thats fine cause I don't care how we do tonight I want him out too but it doesn't change what happened in that first half was good and your being illogical with your expectations.
    murpho999 wrote: »
    ....and why is that then....because Roy didn't pick them....Genius!

Shelvey for me was the only positive in that half.

Roy will probably take him off in 2nd half so he's rested for next reserve match!

He was right not to pick them IMO. One of my biggest gripes with Rafa last year was he broke his ass trying to win this meaningless competition instead of concentrating on the league. I actually have Roy's back in even under the hail of bullets he is taking he's sticking to treating this competition they way it should be.

Opr

• Advertisement

good tackle there by masc... poulsen

Spearing is another player who is not up to this level.....should not be in the squad.

Its a second rate competition so he has picked a second rate team and they are doing a Job. You sound like some raving loonatic who isn't even looking at the situation and is just chanting Roy OUT regardless. Thats fine cause I don't care how we do tonight I want him out too but it doesn't change what happened in that first half was good and your being illogical with your expectations.

He was right not to pick them IMO. One of my biggest gripes with Rafa last year was he broke his ass trying to win this meaningless competition instead of concentrating on the league. I actually have Roy's back in even under the hail of bullets he is taking he's sticking to treating this competition they way it should be.

Opr

Would agree with you normally....but the biggest thing lacking in this team is confidence....and a full team out tonight, set up to win the game comprehensively could have been a good confidence building exercise.

I don't buy into the thought that professional athletes cannot play 180 mins of football in 4 days!

Spearing is another player who is not up to this level.....should not be in the squad.

hes the local lad hes there to keep the fans happy,your right tho hes ****e

I wouldn't consider myself deluded for thinking that a right footed player who doesn't like playing on the left, looks absolutely shít on the left should be given more time to play on in a position that, imo, anytime he has been played there has looked far better.

And if you read the rest of the post - I mentioned that Ecclestone should be brought in if that doesn't work out - I want to see him on the pitch - he deserves a shot, been great for the reserves

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

Has anyone ever seen a player of spearings build playing at this level that wasn't a flair player?

Has anyone ever seen a player of spearings build playing at this level that wasn't a flair player?

Spearings in the same mould as Messi....watch this space man! :pac:

I wouldn't consider myself deluded for thinking that a right footed player who doesn't like playing on the left, looks absolutely shít on the left should be given more time to play on in a position that, imo, anytime he has been played there has looked far better.

And if you read the rest of the post - I mentioned that Ecclestone should be brought in if that doesn't work out - I want to see him on the pitch - he deserves a shot, been great for the reserves

Babel on the right as opposed to the left? What difference will it make, its like polishing a lump of sh1t, its still a lump of sh1t.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭TheProdigy

Poulsen has made 3 evident mistakes in the 2nd half already, 2 nearly led to goals. If he cared for Liverpool in any way he would ask to be released by mutual consent.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

I've been reading about the nostalgia of HB Ice-cream thanks to the snacks and sweets forum despite having another window with a working stream. Next up is procurement in the commuting and transport forum.

That's how dull I've found the bits I've watched. Has it been better for the bits I've missed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Carra taken off at half-time was part of the master plan. Looks like the farm is being bet on a win on Sunday

Dennis Wise?

Spearings in the same mould as Messi....watch this space man! :pac:
    i fear that id be watching a long time.if we dont cop on well end up loosing this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

Konchesky off for aurelio.

Konch off for Aurelio.....can someone please explain the logic there?

• Advertisement

Resting him for Blackburn. Great to see Fabio back though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 213 ✭✭Snaggerman

Woy knows he's going, doesn't give a flying about the outcome

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭bluefinger

konchesky's and aurelio both just back from injury and he wants to spare one whilest giving the other some game time?

anyway, i've just got in and have joined the game liverpool holding their own and Dave's just had a header on goal. looks good.

i'm wrong though aren't i?

Babel is a disgrace, letting a ball run out of play he could easily have got. Whip him off.

Hodgson is really going for it now, taking off two defenders for....two defenders.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,161 ✭✭✭✭M5

Should be putting that away, great chance

should have stuck it

How did Babel miss that....sitter!

he is soooooooooooooooooooo ****e

• Advertisement

Babel on the right as opposed to the left? What difference will it make, its like polishing a lump of sh1t, its still a lump of sh1t.:D

He's right legged - how many right sided players play on the left wing? At least if he's on the right he might put in a decent cross - an aspect of his game we've rarely seen when he's on the left.

Also - we haven't seen enough of him to know he'd be as **** on the right as he is on the left....although I understand your skepticism tbf

Advertisement