Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Standard layout for essays?

Options
  • 21-10-2010 11:26am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 25

I'm a fresher submitting my first essay online on blackboard but before i do i just wanted to ask if i just upload it as it is or is there a specific layout it needs such as a title page, word count, page numbers, etc... and if there is a specific layout what is it? It's a sociology essay if that's relevant at all...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Bobby42

word counts vary from assignment to assignment so check on blackboard where your essay title is, it should have the word count there.
    you need an introduction - telling the reader what you are going to argue
    a main body where you try to convince the reader of the argument you are putting forward
    and a conclusion where you summarise what you have said and answer the question in the title of the essay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 scuzzam

thanks, but let me just clarify - i have the essay written and stuff, i'm just wondering if theres any formalities i need to include - like for our politics ones next week we have to have a title page with very specific things on it - just wondering if thats the same for all essays?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Bobby42

you need to number the pages, put your name and student number as a header or footer on each page. the title on the top of the first page. you can put a heading for each topic you discuss in the essay or just have the paragraphs flow into each other. its not the same for every essay as far I know, but i'm a fresher myself!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

Bobby42 wrote: »
    you need to number the pages, put your name and student number as a header or footer on each page. the title on the top of the first page. you can put a heading for each topic you discuss in the essay or just have the paragraphs flow into each other. its not the same for every essay as far I know, but i'm a fresher myself!

There is no need to put your name and student number on each page. I never did that and I have a degree and 2 masters, I'm sure somebody would have said something! Perhaps you have a tutor who specifically likes that but it is not necessary.

The main thing needed is an assignment cover page. You can make your own or use the UCD assignment cover sheet (see below for link!). Once you give the details asked for on the official UCD cover page, you should be OK. Each department can have their own particular likes/dislikes (for example English always wanted me to give the word count on the cover page)

Headings can be used, but it varies from department to department for their specific writing style. I never used headings for English, but in my postgrads I used them as the essays were more like reports. Page numbers are a nice idea, but not necessary for a normal essay. Since they are easy to add, you may as well include them.

Also whilst I think of it, most departments want essays submitted using either double spacing or 1.5 spacing. And justify the paragraphs, right-aligned paragraphs look crap! But that is just my view :D

Link to search for cover page: http://www.google.ie/#sclient=psy&hl=en&q=ucd+assignment+cover+page&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=&pbx=1&fp=b3913c4a08a0fdf4

Edit: It is always worth checking with your individual department if they have a style guide. English do and as fas as I'm aware, history do as well. That would dictate what way your essay should presented and referenced.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Blacey

The MLA handbook for writers of research papers should see you right. There are plenty of copies of this little gem in the library!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Are there any actual essay writing guidelines for Sociology? I'm second year and doing an elective in Sociology and I can't seem to find anything on Blackboard or the school website.

Advertisement