Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newbie to the scene, few questions.

Options
  • 21-10-2010 11:28am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭

Hello all, new to the site. Im from Kanturk in the mighty Co. Cork :D Must say its well organised and loads of info got from various topics so far. I wont bore ye with my life story I'll get to the point.
    Interested in going game hunting aka applying for a shotgun licence. Im 21, no criminal history, never held a licence before and dont hold land.
    Will I have a chance of getting my licence when I apply? Ive asked around my area and answers vary.
    Will it make a difference if I put my fathers name on the licence too? Joint licence.
    Also what used o/u shotgun would ye consider buying, not too heavy or too long and will get nice value for money and shift on after?

Im sure I'll have loads more questions just cant think of them. Main question is will I have a hope getting a licence.

PS Im sure this question has been asked a million times before, and if I open my eyes I might find info on this forum :rolleyes: Thanks in advance for the info, hope to get to know a few on here.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭homerhop

Welcome to the shooting world

Im 21, no criminal history, never held a licence before and dont hold land.
    Will I have a chance of getting my licence when I apply? Ive asked around my area and answers vary.

you need permission from 3 farmers or need to be a member of a gun club

Will it make a difference if I put my fathers name on the licence too? Joint licence.
    The same rules will apply to him permission or member of a club

Also what used o/u shotgun would ye consider buying, not too heavy or too long and will get nice value for money and shift on after?
    If it is just game and not clays get a 28inch game gun, As I always advise, get talking to a few local lads, see what they got and if you can try a shot, find the one you feel most comfortable with and take it from there, no point in buying something just cos of the price tag if it doesnt suit you.

Main question is will I have a hope getting a licence.
    As good a chance as the rest of us once you tick all the right boxes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Jonty

Welcome to the forum. If you've kept your nose clean and have access to land or a gun club and are willing to install the minimum security requirements and pass a competency course there's no reason not to get issued a license.

The only difference it will make in getting a "joint" license is that it will cost more. each applicant is judged on their own merit.

As regards shotgun choice, it really is personal preference, depending on budget and your physical size.

Make sure you choose a shotgun that fits, and make sure you go to a reputable dealer that knows which gun will fit you.

If you want to Make a gun to fit will mean altering the stock etc, and that will cost money. Avoid dealers who are trying to push you in the direction of a particular gun. Remember, they have to make a profit and will try to sell you the gun they can make the most on. Bring somebody who has a bit of knowlege on shotguns too!

Best of luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭MarkD.

@ Homerhop and Jonty, thanks for your advice.

Regarding competancy, where would be the best place to carry out this course and what kind of time, location and money are we talking for this? Can this be got through Ray Sampson?

In forum members opinion if I complete this course, join a club, put a deposit on a gun, purchase a certified safe (trigger lock is all thats required I know, but just to impress the superintendant id get a 2nd hand safe and for my own sense of security) and fill out the application in the right manner, will it be enough for the local FO and superintendant to grant me a licence

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

MarkD. wrote: »
    @ Homerhop and Jonty, thanks for your advice.

Regarding competancy, where would be the best place to carry out this course and what kind of time, location and money are we talking for this? Can this be got through Ray Sampson?

In forum members opinion if I complete this course, join a club, put a deposit on a gun, purchase a certified safe (trigger lock is all thats required I know, but just to impress the superintendant id get a 2nd hand safe and for my own sense of security) and fill out the application in the right manner, will it be enough for the local FO and superintendant to grant me a licence

Unless he is being very difficult you should get the license but none of us are mind readers and don't know what your super is like.

In relation to the safety course, ask your Super what he requires as that is the best place to get an answer. The last thing you want to do is head off and do a course under your own steam and then the Super turns around and asks for a different one.

There are 2 NARGC safety courses coming up soon which you could do if your Super asked. Ooops one is full already and Ardee is a long way away :(
    Oct. 30th 2010 The Newpark Hotel, Athenry, Co. Galway @ 9.30 a.m.
    for reservations contact Michael on 086.8788365
    Sorry but this particular Course is now completely full
    Nov. 6th 2010 Ardee Sports Grounds, Pepperstown, Ardee @ 9.30
    for reservations contact Jack on 086.8673900
    NOTE ANY PERSON HAVING DIFFICULTY OBTAINING ENTRY TO ANY OF THE ABOVE SCHEDULED COURSES SHOULD CONTACT THE SAFETY COMMITTEE SECRETARY ON 1800 222 444.

Thanks Vegeta, I'll arrange a meeting with my local Super, prob is he's meant to be anti hunting/shooting type fella :( In my view he's philosophy on a topic shouldnt matter, just cos he dont like a sport why should he interfere in others enjoying it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Thanks Vegeta, I'll arrange a meeting with my local Super, prob is he's meant to be anti hunting/shooting type fella :( In my view he's philosophy on a topic shouldnt matter, just cos he dont like a sport why should he interfere in others enjoying it

I got my first license at 17 from a strict super too. He's not anti but very cautious and that's fair enough.

Just do as he asks, he will respect that you are asking his guidance up front and it will be obvious you are eager to be safe and do things by the book

Let us know how it goes or if there are any issues

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Hello all, new to the site.

Welcome aboard.
    Im from Kanturk in the mighty Co. Cork

We won't hold that against you. :D:p;)

Its not a problem nor is it hard. You need the following.
    • Permission to shoot on lands owned by others, however its only 2 permissions needed not 3 as a minimum. These obviously must be in written form. I find it best to type out my own and have the farmer/landowner sign and date it then sign it yourself.
    • Insurance to cover yourself and the landowner.
    • An FCA1 to apply for the firearm.
    • 2 photos.
    • A trigger lock, but preferably a gun safe.
    There is a full run down of the most commonly asked questions here.

As Jonty said there is no benefit for you and your Father getting a joint license unless of course he already has a firearm in which case the whole thing has become somewhat easier.

For about €1,000 you would a great selection of both new and second hand shotguns. Two big questions would be how much have you to spend and which do you prefer, over/under or semi-auto? If its clays with some game shooting i would suggest an Over/Under. Bettinsoli are a good, reliable and decent shotgun.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQwhtN0FPBfNrZ4c_z7br5lk0nigQ1YTJHs1-mdKEt4RFsYCIA&t=1&usg=__7x5Y3VXfHGaFBqUfq7gmQfQoMDk=

Owned by Beretta they have the pedigree without the larger price tag. The Diamond line comes in around €1,000, but as with all shotguns you can get them for €800 up to €1,400. There is quite a good market for second hand shotguns at the moment also. With Beretta, Browning and other makes of a "higher" quality shotgun going for up to €1,400 max. Best advice is to look around. A good shotgun will pick you rather than vice versa so do not let the brand draw you to a gun. Fit is all important regardless of name. Shotguns such as Baikal ..........

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQoAWMcUrgHjQGUosS1WM6_6zpkkYeBlU_JwTZ3-GmI7GWBmLI&t=1&usg=__TB0aKruIWR0ZgyWv6dE07eXmWr8=

..............are popular with some while others would not touch them, and at around €500 - €700 new the price really cannot be beaten. If its semi-auot you are looking for my own preference is the Beretta AL 391, standard model, €1,000.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRVcVmW_NfjufGNe5GTeGeELpXteM1ZtY3-7ADhOBYlrLKGrPs&t=1&usg=__3XTdHzuhyWp_cw4vA9YAH6z5x4Q=

Im sure I'll have loads more questions just cant think of them. Main question is will I have a hope getting a licence.

As the lads said it really is down to your Super, but he must judge the application on its merits. Once you have all the permissions, insurance, competency courses, etc you have done all you possibly can. Relax and just go for it. Its a great sport.

For competency courses look at the NARGC as Vegeta suggested, but also the IFA's course held at the MNSCI.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Ezridax, Im on many other forums and have never came across such an informative response.. Thanks alot! :)

My budget would be in around the €1000 mark, but I cant decide how much to spend, whether to buy new or second hand.
    Ive shot a mates o/u a nice bit, its 32'' and weighs like a tonne of bricks! Im not very big in stature, about 5.10'' slim build. To be honest my wrist was getting a lil sore after firing for ages. Hand on the stock/trigger was fine. Also found it awkward to swing to aim at the intended target. So Im guessing id rather a lighter gun, also rather a lighter gun as id be hunting game.

>>Another question for ye, does a heavy gun reduce recoil or is this just a myth, also what guns have low recoil and are known for lightweight?

Im liking the idea of buying a secondhand Beretta, Bentisolli or Browning. Would idealy like a single trigger with auto ejectors.

>>What are Lanber like? And are Baikal easy to shift after?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

105CTI.jpg

Lovely game gun, a joy to shoot and only 7 lbs!

I have one of these, kicks like a young lamb!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭homerhop

I always liked Browning, a good second hand 525 if you are like me you will be more than happy.
    Baikal are a ruggid no frills work horse. I started with one as did a lot of lads here and I had some great shooting with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Bananaman

homerhop wrote: »
    I always liked Browning, a good second hand 525 if you are like me you will be more than happy.
    Baikal are a ruggid no frills work horse. I started with one as did a lot of lads here and I had some great shooting with it.

+1

I have a Browning 425 and not many clays make it to the ground.

B'Man

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

ezridax wrote: »
    We won't hold that against you. :D:p;)

So what's the problem with Cork? That's where MY family are from.

I'll like to know if there is some late-developing genetic malfunction that we are heir to as a result of having Cork ancestry.

My two brother still live there, and they are both very pleasant fellas, and if you say anything different I'll send one of them around to alter your opinion. ;=)

tac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

tac foley wrote: »

I'll like to know if there is some late-developing genetic malfunction that we are heir to as a result of having Cork ancestry.

My two brother still live there, and they are both very pleasant fellas, and if you say anything different I'll send one of them around to alter your opinion. ;=)

tac
    Down in Cork he'd be known as a langer!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

tac foley wrote: »

Keep forgetting you cannot see the smillie faces. My slag was followed by a cheeky smile, tongue sticking out and a wink.
    ................. and if you say anything different I'll send one of them around to alter your opinion. ;=)

Heh, heh.

MarkD wrote:
    Ezridax, Im on many other forums and have never came across such an informative response.. Thanks alot! smile.gif

No problem.
    My budget would be in around the €1000 mark, but I cant decide how much to spend, whether to buy new or second hand.

Really the only way forward is to go out to ranges and shops and try as many as you can to see which suits. I've always said it and it still sounds "naff", the right gun will pick you.
    Ive shot a mates o/u a nice bit, its 32'' and weighs like a tonne of bricks! Im not very big in stature, about 5.10'' slim build. To be honest my wrist was getting a lil sore after firing for ages. Hand on the stock/trigger was fine. Also found it awkward to swing to aim at the intended target. So Im guessing id rather a lighter gun, also rather a lighter gun as id be hunting game.

If you are still new to the sport you will pick up pointers as you go. It really sounds as though you may be holding it slightly wrong as you should feel no pain in the wrist, but thats an easy fix with time and practise. If its mostly game then a 26" or 28" light game would be the ideal gun. You can shoot clays with a game gun, but as clays require more shooting and faster shooting then a heavier gun better able to take the shooting would be best.
    >>Another question for ye, does a heavy gun reduce recoil or is this just a myth, also what guns have low recoil and are known for lightweight?

No its not a myth. A heavier gun will reduce felt recoil. Alot of new shotguns have built in recoil systems that aid in this process. Beretta 682e gold sporter was my choice for the last few years. 32" barrels. A dream to fire and as with all Berettas it sits perfectly for me all the time. They do start at around the €3000 mark. If its game and your first then do not start out with anything expensive. You will make mistakes and probably get a few scratches and dents on it so best to do it with a realtively cheaper gun.
    Im liking the idea of buying a secondhand Beretta, Bentisolli or Browning. Would idealy like a single trigger with auto ejectors.

As above best idea is to go out and try as many as you can. You will get an idea of fit, feel, weight, prices, etc. When you have a few icked then if you are still not sure come on back and ask for pros and cons of each model.
    >>What are Lanber like? And are Baikal easy to shift after?

never owned a Lanber or a Baikal. I have seen a good few Baikals. hye are a sturdy gun and very keenly priced. However the price reflects the quality. I'm not saying it will fall apart in your hands or anything like that, but compared to the higher end guns its not even in the same league. Although the same could be said for most guns of a similar price. Thing is if it fits and you like it who cares what make it is.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

I'll call them off, so. ;=)

tac

Only thing wrong with Cork is the pathetic state of our roads :mad:

Personally id rather stick with an o/u for my first gun for the safety side of them compared to a semi. Breaking the barrel when not in use sound miles more appealing to me

Uncle had a Browning 425 awhile back, felt like a serious gun to shoot (had a few shots with it) trying to fing a second hand one would be hard id think, good o/u's are rarely got rid of. And what would be the going rate? Also what'd be the going rate for a used baikal? As Im new to the scene I wouldnt know how much Barney Bob charges for these type of guns. ha

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭kenneths

i'm not too far away from you...
    you can go over to Pat Hayes in mallow to do the competency course it was €25 euro i think.
    he has a few o/u second-hand there too loads of secondhand €300ish baikals.
    a new yildiz €575 (me and brother have these perfect for the job not great for clays)
    i was looking for a AYA no.2 on saturday he had 3 there.

so get over for a look and some advice..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

My Super requires 3 x landowners permissions too with a minimum acerage of 40 acres per permission afaik.

Only your FAO or Super can tell you what THEY want. Just ask first easier than having to go back twice ;)

A semi is no more dangerous than an o/u in the wrong hands

kenneths wrote: »
    i'm not too far away from you...
    you can go over to Pat Hayes in mallow to do the competency course it was €25 euro i think.
    he has a few o/u second-hand there too loads of secondhand €300ish baikals.
    a new yildiz €575 (me and brother have these perfect for the job not great for clays)
    i was looking for a AYA no.2 on saturday he had 3 there.

so get over for a look and some advice..

Was over there a few weeks back, must go over again and spend a bit more time picking and choosing. Some selection there!
    Thanks for the heads up on the competency course. Good info.

@ Kenneths your from the Kanturk area or Mallow?

A semi is no more dangerous than an o/u in the wrong hands

True very true! Its not the horse, its the jockey as a wise man once said..

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭kenneths

Mark i'm nearer to Donoughmore/Berrings area.
    i was in landers in tralee the other day and i reckon he has a better selection.
    i'm gonna go to Jeffers in bandon on saturday to see what they have on offer :D

• Advertisement

kenneths wrote: »
    Mark i'm nearer to Donoughmore/Berrings area.
    i was in landers in tralee the other day and i reckon he has a better selection.
    i'm gonna go to Jeffers in bandon on saturday to see what they have on offer :D

No problem at all.

When your down there if you dont mind could you get a rough idea what Jeffers charge for pre owned o/u's.

Thanks

Advertisement