Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kudos to rochestown park hotel and 96fm listeners

Options
  • 21-10-2010 11:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,863 ✭✭✭

Was listening to the radio this morning and the story of "tom" and auld man from the city who was scammed out of his life savings by a man posing as a solicitor. His savings were about 800 quid i think and what he use to do with it was book himself into a hotel/b&b for Christmas so he wouldn't be alone. Some p***k then posed as a solicitor and apparently tom isn't the full deck so just took the man at face value and handed it over the money for what ever it was. Having to listen to a man of his age crying on the radio was bloody heart wrenching. I just hate to think there are people out there who will stoop so low as to scam life savings from people like this.

But fair play to rochestown park hotel who rang up and said they would take him in for the Christmas period and as they said "give him the time of his life". Was great to hear of people handing in checks for 100 euro and people pledging money over the phone to help the man get back what he lost. Its nice to see that even in these times of hardship that people are so willing to help out a stranger that fell victim of pretty much scum.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭Kimono-Girl

i have to agree! it was heartbreaking hearing his story yesterday,

well done to everyone who contributed and helped out esp in the times we are in, and to the Rochestown Park for helping him out!

i hope they catch the scumbag who did this,:mad: he was apparently seen around cork in the passed few days!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,863 ✭✭✭Papa_Lazarou

i have to agree! it was heartbreaking hearing his story yesterday,

well done to everyone who contributed and helped out esp in the times we are in, and to the Rochestown Park for helping him out!

i hope they catch the scumbag who did this,:mad: he was apparently seen around cork in the passed few days!

Yeah they were saying earlier that where he handed over the money was down by the side of the cathedral and that the gardaí have one of their cameras down there so hopefully the guy will be caught. Sick sick people around!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Maybe the old fella is the scam artist himself preying on the sympathetic nature of others.

Who says there was another man?
    Who says he handed over €800?

By the looks of it the old fella has just got a sh*t tonne of donations and a free stay in a 4* hotel for christmas. Iv seen this type of stuff happen before.

Just saying...:o

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

and a very cheap advertisement for the Rochestown Park Hotel..clever but still nice of them I suppose, they didn't have to do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

Hogzy wrote: »
    Maybe the old fella is the scam artist himself preying on the sympathetic nature of others.

By the looks of it the old fella has just got a sh*t tonne of donations and a free stay in a 4* hotel for christmas. Iv seen this type of stuff happen before.

I was about to suggest it myself :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,281 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Hogzy wrote: »

Well we'll get the truth once they have a look at the tape from the camera down the side of the cathedral :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭markok84

great PR from Rochestown Park Hotel. Yer man was on the six one last night; he seems like a daycent enough aul skin so I'd say he's legit. Some bottom feeder that'd do that to an aul fella on his own.

Advertisement