Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are heated propegators expensive?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Hi..
    At 8W power consumption I'd expect it to cost less than €0.30 per week to run. I have an similar one a few years now and it has been great for cuttings..
    Slan

• Registered Users Posts: 28,437 ✭✭✭✭looksee

If you are getting one, get one with a separate tray, you don't want to be sowing straight into the heater tray. They are ok, but I wouldn't put it at the top of my list of essential things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

If you must buy a heated propagator buy one with a thermostat, the ones without thermostatic control are less than useless.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

Thanks a lot. It's just for certain bedding plant seeds I plan to grow next year. My first time and I see that some require 20+ degrees. I don't have a greenhouse so it will be in a spare room. Maybe an unheated one will do the job. I'll sow early and see how I make out.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,437 ✭✭✭✭looksee

If you are growing seeds indoors you need a sunny windowsill, and even then you have to keep a close watch on them, they will grow long and straggly in no time at all. It is very difficult to grow them on indoors as there really is not enough light just with a window. Once you have got them to germinate (which you can do in a hot press for a lot of them) they have to be in a light place that does not have to be as warm as for germination.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the advise looksee. The bedroom has a south west facing window and i have some old plastic shelving that I can use as staging so they should get good light up high at the window. I also have one of those PVC walk in greenhouses. So I hope to use that as a nursery once I pot them on. I guess it would make sense to sow as late as possible to time putting them in there with some warmer weather. I'm going to go all out and hope to raise about 150 plants for borders, a large raised bed and baskets. Does it sound like a credible plan or pie in the sky?

Hi again, back to this :-)
    So I have started Begonia, pelargonium and a few coleus seeds last week in a cheap covered unheated propagator. Having no trouble keeping the temp. around 21 which is good.

But I underestimated how few hours of light and how poor the light is at this time of year. So I am worried about brining the seedlings on if/when they germinate. Have been googling around about grow lighting and my head is spinning with specs and type of bulbs for different stages of development etc. Can anyone throw me a bone here? I can't afford to go out and buy a tailor-made setup. Would a couple of strip lights (40 watt) do the job until I can get them out to my plastic green house in March/April for a few hours? Anyone used lights for raising seedlings?
    Thanks a lot for ANY advice!

Advertisement