Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ciaran Clark confirms declaration

• 21-10-2010 11:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭

Great stuff, Ireland badly lack depth at centre half. Hopefully it spells the end of McShane in the national squad.
    Aston Villa defender Ciaran Clark has pledged his international future to the Republic of Ireland.
    Clark, who played 78 minutes of last Saturday's goalless draw with Chelsea, was born in London and has captained England Under-18s.But he has decided to commit to playing at senior level for Giovanni Trapattoni's side as an act of faith for the backing he received from his Irish-born mum and dad.Clark told Press Association Sport: 'Why have I chosen to play for Ireland? For myself and my family.'Clark added: 'My family have done a lot for me over the years, since I was a little boy. I owe them a lot so I've made this decision for them.'Richard Dunne (Villa and Ireland defender) mentioned it to Ireland and they looked into it and got in contact with me and the club. They gave me time to think about it and about my decision.'If all the paperwork has gone through by the next game, I'll be in contention so fingers crossed that happens.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭antomorro-sei

Is he actually any use?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

Fantastic prospect. Future captain if he keeps going the way he is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 804 ✭✭✭paulcorr

Is he actually any use?

Well if he captained Englands u18 and has started in the premier league for Villa he cant be that bad, compared to that donkey mcshane he cant be any worse

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Is he actually any use?

Doesnt seem to matter to Trap, in evidence I give you P.McShane and K.Kilbane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭bullpost

Wouldnt put Kilbane in same league as McShane. He's served us well over the years and though obviously past it now he deserves respect.
    keano_afc wrote: »
    Doesnt seem to matter to Trap, in evidence I give you P.McShane and K.Kilbane.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

bullpost wrote: »
    Wouldnt put Kilbane in same league as McShane. He's served us well over the years and though obviously past it now he deserves respect.

Well ye Kilbane gave and still gives us 100% but he is and always has been useless.

Good news on Clark though, looks like a good player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Surprised by this because from what I've seen of him and heard about him, England caps were likely in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

bullpost wrote: »

Ha has, but his time is past. Trap hasnt even TRIED to blood a new left back. He shouldnt be guaranteed his place in the team just because he's an honest pro.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

Surprised by this because from what I've seen of him and heard about him, England caps were likely in the future.

From what i've heard they are not too bothered in England as they see Smalling and Cahill as the future centre back pairing. Maybe he thinks he has a better chance of regular caps for Ireland more than England.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭IRISHSPORTSGUY

keano_afc wrote: »
    Ha has, but his time is past. Trap hasnt even TRIED to blood a new left back. He shouldnt be guaranteed his place in the team just because he's an honest pro.

Wasn't expecting another Kilbane debate, but completely agree.

We should have started the campaign playing O'Shea left back and bringing in one of our three Premier League right backs (Coleman, Kelly, Foley).

Then there's Stephen Ward who plays every single week for Wolves.

Even Ian Harte is bigging himself up in the press for a comeback ffs. And no wonder - at least he's playing regularly in the Championship.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 537 ✭✭✭ozymandias10

couple of decent young lads with potential now in the mix for us...hopefully they will fullfill the promise....trap needs to give James Mccarthy a run out as well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭MickShamrock

Is he actually any use?

He can't be any worst than Paul McShane.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

He can't be any worst than Paul McShane.

WE GET IT

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Ronan Raver77

He did well when he came on for Dunne V Chelsea..defo one for the future:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

He did well when he came on for Dunne V Chelsea..defo one for the future:D

He did do well :( the b0ll0cks :pac:

But in all seriousness, a good prospect and that he has declared for the Irish is a good sign for us, maybe dunne had a few words with him ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Great news. I thought he did well when he came on for Villa against Chelsea recently.

We could get a lot of joy by being alert to talents with Irish ancestry. I think Will Keane at United is another guy that could be looked at. The guy is a forward and won the Jimmy Murphy Young Player of the Year award last year which Macheda and Welbeck have won in recent years. He has a twin brother Michael and he actually represents Ireland at youth level. They nearly ended up playing against each other for both national youth teams as Keane mentioned when he won the award (see 1:50):

Michael is a defender. I don't know much about him but I remember being impressed watching Will as well as Robbie Brady in the Milk Cup a few years back. I love the idea of those two being Ireland players in the future. I hope Michael convinces him to go Irish!

I hope those involved with the Irish set-up keep Will Keane on the radar. He's one of the guys I always try to look out for and think he has great potential.

Advertisement