Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can the normal player make money at 1/2

Options
  • 21-10-2010 11:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭

Hey All,

Haven't posted in c. 3 years... used to be TheAceFace...... not sure if many of the old names are still around....

General Question.... playing 20 hrs a week... 1/2 level, online only... is it possible for a normal guy to grind out a few euro from poker.. are any of you doing it.. I remember we had some very good posters and players back in 2005/2006..any of you guys make a success of it? Did we all give up!

Any ideas/stories let me know.. I'm thionking about giving it a spin again at a low level.....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭Nozebleed

online i would say no. but if you play in a real life card club..the answer is yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

Yeah some people make a living playing 200nl. Online though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭bubbleking

Nozebleed wrote: »
    online i would say no. but if you play in a real life card club..the answer is yes.
    Yeah some people make a living playing 200nl. Online though.

I dont know who to believe...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭JayoFella

how about believeing tom dwan, cole south even the majestic isildur these are 3 players who started with nothing and they were not professionals now look at dwan and south they have milions or dario mineri was able to buy a porche he played so much, then look at te pro's ivey and antonious, negreanu , jason mercier they have all won so much onine 20 million in some cases, i am on a poker site were all players talk about there game and there is many many players who started from nothing and now have something, i personaly have been playing a stable game with consistent winning no wether my skill ( luck) runs out is another thing but any player no matter whT IS BACK GROUNG, AGE , COLOUR ,RELIGION EVEN IQ can make alo off money playing online poker we all no we have the potential, any determined player could win the sunday million of the ftops and end up with 100s of grand i know a ghuy on full tilt who won 200k in the last 3 years through disciplind poker

good luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭bubbleking

^^^^

none of those sickos are what you'd would classify as normal guys

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭winston82

JayoFella wrote: »
    How about believeing Tom Dwan, Cole South or even the majestic isildur1. These are 3 players who started with nothing and they were not professionals. Now look at Dwan and South. They have milions, or Dario Mineri was able to buy a porsche he played so much.

Then look at the pro's like Ivey, Antonious, Negreanu & Jason Mercier. They have all won so much online, 20 million in some cases. I'm on a poker site were all the players talk about their game and there are many many players who started from nothing and now have something.

I personaly have been playing a stable game with consistent winning. Whether my skill(or luck!rolleyes.gif) runs out is another thing but any player, no matter what his background, age, colour, religion or even IQ, can make a lot off money playing online poker.

We all know we have the potential. Any determined player could win the Sunday Million or the FTOPS and end up with hundreds of grand. I know a guy on full tilt who won 200k in the last 3 years through disciplined poker.

Your posts make my head hurt...

:D

ok ill make it short, YE you can it is possible its just takes patience and most likey a lot of failurei n the begining

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 B2BAces

Your posts make my head hurt...

Is there a quote&fix function ? Nice

It really depends on the definition of "normal" . Can be done if you take it seriously enough .

i agree maybe the normal player cant, because the normal guy doesn't multi table 70 hours a week and i think that's mainly what you need to accomplish

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭Tilt Gone

Yes. If you are the recreational type of player I have found a system that has been working for me pretty well. I considering myself a decent enouigh player and have found that the low stake games and even 1/2 have a lot of crazy players. Now this sounds like a poker players wet dream but me personally, never did well at this stakes.

I therefore decided to do the following.

Start at 1/2 with the minumum buy-in. (FT low stake where you can buy in for to a 1/2 game with $40)
    double this up and then move to 2/4.
    again sit and be patient and again once you double up move to 3/6
    I find the standard way better and seems to suit my style of play but would never be properly bankrolled to play at these stakes by trying to grind out a bankroll.

Today for example I logded 30 quid ($40) and by being patient and using this system moved pretty quickly to my prefered 3/6 game. Cashed out for $600 and withdrew this straight away.

I will do the same again when I'm off on friday. The trick is discipline. If i lose my 40 euro then i dont put more back in. i just say bad luck and there is aways tommorrow.

I have made around 600-700 euro every 13-15 days or so by sticking to this system so would definitley agree that the average player can make some nice extra cash without having to spend a fortune.

I found out the hard way that there is no point playing when you are not prepared to give the game the time and concentration it deserves. Playing to pass the time while looking at the tv will not work in the long run.

Hope this helps

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

^
    Try tournaments.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭TerryTibbs!

Tilt Gone wrote: »
    Yes. If you are the recreational type of player I have found a system that has been working for me pretty well. I considering myself a decent enouigh player and have found that the low stake games and even 1/2 have a lot of crazy players. Now this sounds like a poker players wet dream but me personally, never did well at this stakes.

I therefore decided to do the following.

Start at 1/2 with the minumum buy-in. (FT low stake where you can buy in for to a 1/2 game with $40)
    double this up and then move to 2/4.
    again sit and be patient and again once you double up move to 3/6
    I find the standard way better and seems to suit my style of play but would never be properly bankrolled to play at these stakes by trying to grind out a bankroll.

Today for example I logded 30 quid ($40) and by being patient and using this system moved pretty quickly to my prefered 3/6 game. Cashed out for $600 and withdrew this straight away.

I will do the same again when I'm off on friday. The trick is discipline. If i lose my 40 euro then i dont put more back in. i just say bad luck and there is aways tommorrow.

I have made around 600-700 euro every 13-15 days or so by sticking to this system so would definitley agree that the average player can make some nice extra cash without having to spend a fortune.

I found out the hard way that there is no point playing when you are not prepared to give the game the time and concentration it deserves. Playing to pass the time while looking at the tv will not work in the long run.

Hope this helps
    But how much have you lost?

Advertisement