Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hodgson hasn't quit. Not Yet. Not Ever!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭The Rooster

At least it's a reduced amount - probably a couple of million. If that clause wasn't there it would be 3/4 times that
    One year, rather than the balance of his 3 year contract.

Dont know what his annual salary is though, other than its less than what Rafa was on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,415 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

gleep wrote: »
    Really? Torres, Gerrard, Cole and....................:confused:

Please don't say Kuyt, Babel, NGog, Merieles. I'd take Fulham's Zamora, Dempsey, Duff, Gera over any of these.

No you wouldn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

If Richard Buxton is saying it's a sure thing then i'd say its true. Don't know how i feel about it tbh at least Hodgson's out thats a start, playing some attractive football also excites me.

The least the OP could do is stick up a link.

/hope it's true :)

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭5ForKeeps

Really? Torres, Gerrard, Cole and....................:confused:

Please don't say Kuyt, Babel, NGog, Merieles. I'd take Fulham's Zamora, Dempsey, Duff, Gera over any of these.

Is this a wind up?

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭irishejit

It's amazing the difference 3 months makes in football.....

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055955891

The general consensus was that he was going to do a great job.

In hindsight I think he was foolish to leave Fulham in the first place, because new owners are always going to want to put their own man in.

At the same time I think it's ridiculous the treatment he's been getting. I mean come on, how little time are managers supposed to be allowed now??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

RasTa wrote: »
    If the club sacks him after 8 league games then he should take them for every penny in his contract.

100% agree.

but Woy has talked absolute bollox for weeks.

i honestly don't think he's going to last, given how we're playing, as well as how these owners handled the coach of the Red Sox when they first arrived there.

he's shown himself to be out of his depth, and it's not his fault he was given the job. he's welcome to his pay off, it's worth it because i can't take much more of his shítetalk.

he's been a one-man course in how to do all you can to get your own fans to dislike you.

- bend over for Ferguson. check.
    - tell the fans we're playing well when we're blatantly not, while patronising us (and whether it was on purpose or not is redundant). check.
    - tell us a win against Trabzonspor is 'historic' for the club. check.
    - lose to Everton conclusively and tell us all it was a great performance. check.
    - all but tell us outright that he probably can't keep Torres; even mentioning Utd as a possible destination for him. check.
    - in general, just being void of any testicles whatsoever in how he handles everything. check.

he is completely clueless, and I've been shocked at just how clueless.

take the money you were promised Woy; we need a completely fresh start, with a manager who we can believe in.

there i said it. it's probably knee-jerk. it's probably too soon. to hell with it. give us a fresh start.

and i do feel sorry for Hodgson in all of this; he genuinely is a nice guy, and i'd never want it to get to the stage where some fans abuse him from the stands etc.

ugh, on the other hand, i don't fancy Rijkaard (if true). damn it. i hate these choices.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,654 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

SlickRic wrote: »
    100% agree.

but Woy has talked absolute bollox for weeks.

i honestly don't think he's going to last, given how we're playing, as well as how these owners handled the coach of the Red Sox when they first arrived there.

he's shown himself to be out of his depth, and it's not his fault he was given the job. he's welcome to his pay off, it's worth it because i can't take much more of his shítetalk.

he's been a one-man course in how to do all you can to get your own fans to dislike you.

- bend over for Ferguson. check.
    - tell the fans we're playing well when we're blatantly not, while patronising us (and whether it was on purpose or not is redundant). check.
    - tell us a win against Trabzonspor is 'historic' for the club. check.
    - lose to Everton conclusively and tell us all it was a great performance. check.
    - all but tell us outright that he probably can't keep Torres; even mentioning Utd as a possible destination for him. check.
    - in general, just being void of any testicles whatsoever in how he handles everything. check.

he is completely clueless, and I've been shocked at just how clueless.

take the money you were promised Woy; we need a completely fresh start, with a manager who we can believe in.

there i said it. it's probably knee-jerk. it's probably too soon. to hell with it. give us a fresh start.

and i do feel sorry for Hodgson in all of this; he genuinely is a nice guy, and i'd never want it to get to the stage where some fans abuse him from the stands etc.

ugh, on the other hand, i don't fancy Rijkaard (if true). damn it. i hate these choices.

Who then? And please don't mention someone whose first name begins with K and ends with y!!??

Oh and another thing: the decision isn't up to us, so it's ok. No need to stress yourself about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 692 ✭✭✭gleep

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    No you wouldn't.

Based on what? Transfer fees, reputation, International experience? Because based on form, over two seasons, I'd take the Fulham lads all day long.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Oh and another thing: the decision isn't up to you, so it's ok. No need to stress yourself about it.

um ok.

and the irony is delicious in you telling me not to stress about it.
    Who then? And please don't mention someone whose first name begins with K and ends with y!!??

i don't know.

Rijkaard, i believe, would get us playing more attractively, but he'd be a risk in terms of whether he'd get us winning. but we're not doing either at the moment, and don't like we're going to any time soon either.

i've mentioned Pellegrini a few times now, like a couple of others, he's out of work, and not necessarily the 'next Juande Ramos' as many would have us believe.

Based on what? Transfer fees, reputation, International experience? Because based on form, over two seasons, I'd take the Fulham lads all day long.

Well Kuyt played a major role in getting his country to the world cup final so that fact alone makes your argument look rather stupid.

um ok.

i don't know.

Rijkaard, i believe, would get us playing more attractively, but he'd be a risk in terms of whether he'd get us winning. but we're not doing either at the moment, and don't like we're going to any time soon either.

i've mentioned Pellegrini a few times now, like a couple of others, he's out of work, and not necessarily the 'next Juande Ramos' as many would have us believe.

I'm not stressed about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

um ok.

i don't know.

I said it to a few buddies who are Liverpool fans, I would have jumped at the chance of taking Pellegrini instead of Hodgson.

He narrowly missed out on the league and had Real playing some great football, only reason he got the chop is the board want Jose and they got their man, otherwise i could imagine Pellegrini would be still in charge and doing well.

Now he is out of work and would have been my wish if i was a Pool fan, before they hired Roy.

I know the rumour mill is heavily mentioning Rijkarrd, but there's some other managers jobless at the mo who would warrant a mention.

Ruud Gullit, Martin O'Neill, Gordon Strachan (ok, taking the p1ss with that) Phil Brown to name but a few.

O'Neill would be my pick if I were an LFC fan, but being a Man Utd fan I'd love to see you with Gary Megson :D

5ForKeeps wrote: »
    Is this a wind up?

No my opinions on players are based on performances and form.

• Advertisement

irishejit wrote: »
    I know the rumour mill is heavily mentioning Rijkarrd, but there's some other managers jobless at the mo who would warrant a mention.

Ruud Gullit, Martin O'Neill, Gordon Strachan (ok, taking the p1ss with that) Phil Brown to name but a few.

O'Neill would be my pick if I were an LFC fan, but being a Man Utd fan I'd love to see you with Gary Megson :D

If ever a username was more apt, this is it. Even beats mine! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭BrookieD

Hell with them names we could go with John Barnes and Kenny as a double team :pac:

Well Kuyt played a major role in getting his country to the world cup final so that fact alone makes your argument look rather stupid.

Aaah Holland at the 2010 world cup, great side wern't they, all that expansive football :rolleyes:

And no it doesn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

No. I base my opinions on players based on performances and form.

How often have you seen Meireles play?

If O'Neill got the job I would puke instantly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 804 ✭✭✭paulcorr

PHB wrote: »
    Rijkaard is a cracking manager imo. He'll need a good director of football though to compliment his ability to get the best out of a team.

Will be nice to see Liverpool as an attacking outfit.

They will need to sign a couple of players up front so if they are to start playing attacking football Torres will go in january so whats left.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,146 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Pellegrini has to be the first choice really. Fantastic record both when dealing with ego's at big clubs, as well as getting the best out of smaller clubs on a budget. Plays excellent attacking football as well as maintaining a reasonably solid defence (Highest scoring in the league at RM last year, and second lowest goals conceded).

Thats our man imo.

What probably is in Rijkaards favour alright though is that he speaks fluent English, and also has the experience at Barca of bringing a big name club back from a very dodgey position (people are talking about the great team he inherited, but Barca were in a bad state when he took over). He revitalised the team and brought in a much more fluid attacking style. His record at other clubs does worry me though.

Overall, it looks like a 2 horse race, i'd put Pellegrini as my first choice, but Rijkaard would still be a great improvement.

BrookieD wrote: »
    Hell with them names we could go with John Barnes and Kenny as a double team :pac:

Ha Ha now that would be a sight to see on the touchline!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 804 ✭✭✭paulcorr

That_Guy wrote: »
    He is a good manager to be fair. He's not had an awful lot to work with really.

His tactics may have suited Fulham but not for a side like Liverpool who do have good attacking options.

It's a pity that he was pretty much forced to sell off players due to the previous owners.

Results aren't going his way and it'd be best if he left the club himself a la Strachan.

Leave with some dignity at least.

What attacking options ?

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

I'm not stressed about it.

I think he is referring to your constant posting of things like:

"What's happening, I need to know now"

all of last week.

paulcorr wrote: »
    What attacking options ?

Torres, Cole, Gerrard, Babel, Kuyt, Pacheco, Jova, N'gog, Meireles, (Aqualini should still be there too)

Roy Hodgson couldn't manage to tie his shoe laces at his stage

Torres, Cole, Gerrard, Babel, Kuyt, Pacheco, Jova, N'gog, (Aqualini should still be there too)

Yet another Hodgson's in the situation he finds himself. No-one but himself to blame.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,146 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Aaah Holland at the 2010 world cup, great side wern't they, all that expansive football :rolleyes:

And no it doesn't.

Regularly finishes the season with double figures in both goals and assists.

He's not a namby pamby dancer type, but he gets the job done. Knows where the goal is, and knows the right option to pick when others are in better positions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Columbia

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    What probably is in Rijkaards favour alright though is that he speaks fluent English, and also has the experience at Barca of bringing a big name club back from a very dodgey position (people are talking about the great team he inherited, but Barca were in a bad state when he took over). He revitalised the team and brought in a much more fluid attacking style. His record at other clubs does worry me though.

Overall, it looks like a 2 horse race, i'd put Pellegrini as my first choice, but Rijkaard would still be a great improvement.

His record at other clubs is more than just worrying though, it's absolutely horrific. Hiring someone on the back of one good season, amid a torrent of mediocrity? Is that really any different to what Liverpool did last summer?

If they hire Rijkaard, I reckon they'll be looking for another new manager at the end of the season, which for a club like Liverpool (which prioritises loyalty and so on) is a horrifying thought.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

Someone mentioned Pellegrini. I dont know how his English is but he would be the man for me. Rijkaard is over-rated as manager. He would try and play attacking football though tactically he is pretty poor. When things start going wrong for him he doesn't know how to react. Pelligrini is a very under-rated manager.

RTE are running this story.

Who here works for RTE then? :p

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2010/1021/hodgsonr_liverpool_rijkaardf.html

Columbia wrote: »
    His record at other clubs is more than just worrying though, it's absolutely horrific. Hiring someone on the back of one good season, amid a torrent of mediocrity? Is that really any different to what Liverpool did last summer?

If they hire Rijkaard, I reckon they'll be looking for another new manager at the end of the season, which for a club like Liverpool (which prioritises loyalty and so on) is a horrifying thought.

Couldn't disagree with that. What worries me slightly is that folk are thinking 'Anyone but Roy'. Our next managerial appointment will be one of the most important we've made in our history. Appointing Rijkaard because he plays attacking football and had a more than decent spell once upon a time at Barca, I think, will come back to haunt us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Absolutely. It's worth taking the time and getting this appointment right. It's likely that our next permanent manager will be overseeing a large rebuilding project at the club.

But IF the right manager is not available now, we still need to address the Hodgson situation. Results need to get turned around to put us in a position to attract a top class manager in the Summer, if we can't get one now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Warper wrote: »
    Someone mentioned Pellegrini. I dont know how his English is but he would be the man for me. Rijkaard is over-rated as manager. He would try and play attacking football though tactically he is pretty poor. When things start going wrong for him he doesn't know how to react. Pelligrini is a very under-rated manager.

Pellegrini's English is perfect, apparently.

It's a no-brainer for me. He'd be a great appointment

But IF the right manager is not available now, we still need to address the Hodgson situation. Results need to get turned around to put us in a position to attract a top class manager in the Summer, if we can't get one now.

Plenty disagree, but for a short-term role until the summer, I think Dalglish would be worth a shot. IF the right man was not immediately available. But with Pellegrini out of work, I don’t see why we should need to go that way.

mosstin wrote: »
    How often have you seen Meireles play?

About 6 games all together. Hasn't impressed me in one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

rarnes1 wrote: »
    RTE are running this story.

Who here works for RTE then? :p

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2010/1021/hodgsonr_liverpool_rijkaardf.html

I'm tellin ya...the RTE web editor always has his eye on Boards. He even steals one-liners and jokes from here! :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Pellegrini's English is perfect, apparently.

Where did you read that?

• Advertisement

Ush1 wrote: »
    Where did you read that?

Other forums. Perfect is probably the wrong word.

Apparently he did training courses in England years ago. I'd imagine it's probably at a fluent enough level similar to Rafa's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

Where did you read that?

I've read he has good English too in fairness. Sign him up.

Other forums. Perfect is probably the wrong word.

Apparently he did training courses in England years ago. I'd imagine it's probably at a fluent enough level similar to Rafa's.

Be fairly suprised if he spoke English. Never seen him do a press conference or an interview in anything 'cept Spanish.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

~Rebel~ wrote: »

If you had asked a Barcelona fan at Christmas 2003 when they lost to Malaga 5-1 and where mid-table, there was no great team he inherited. He was under very heavy pressure.

A Kluivert headed winner at Sevilla next game and Davids in, the rest is history..

I've read he has good English too in fairness. Sign him up.

:pac: But where did you read it?

Be fairly suprised if he spoke English. Never seen him do a press conference or an interview in anything 'cept Spanish.

Has he ever had reason to?

• Advertisement

Has he ever had reason to?

Yes, he's done lots of interviews with English based magazines/programmes and it's always translated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭cmyk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

cmyk wrote: »

Pretty reliable.

Considering he was approached before, it makes sense with the new owners. He'd have been briefed on us then so would know the club.

He'd be my choice. Worked with Reina and Torres would respect him. The owners may simply have asked, "well, who else did you sound out during the Summer?" Remember Dalglish was on the selection panel.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

cmyk wrote: »

Same guy who wrote that article tweeted this later in the day.

RBuxton_LFC: Pellegrini's agent claims are irrelevant as I've been told that Rijkaard will, without question, succeed Hodgson at #LFC in next five days.

Opr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

opr wrote: »
    Same guy who wrote that article tweeted this later in the day.

RBuxton_LFC: Pellegrini's agent claims are irrelevant as I've been told that Rijkaard will, without question, succeed Hodgson at #LFC in next five days.

Opr

Its a poor article, seems to be outdated and referring to the Summer, pre the new owners.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement
Advertisement