Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hodgson hasn't quit. Not Yet. Not Ever!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

What about Johnny Giles?
    :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

The rumour (and it's just a rumour) is that the owners can sack him within 30 days of the takeover for reduced compensation. The thinking then is, if he's not sacked by the middle of November, he's probably here for the season
    daithijjj wrote: »
    I believe there is a clause in his contract that if the club gets new owners, his compensation should he be sacked is 1mil.

I really don't understand why clubs give managers 3 and 4 year contracts where they have to pay them off 5m - 10m.
    Considering that on average there is a high turnover of managers, why are they not put on a rolling one year contract.
    Or at least a few conditions that allows them to be gotten rid of cheaply if they the results are way below par.

irishejit wrote: »
    It's amazing the difference 3 months makes in football.....

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055955891

The general consensus was that he was going to do a great job.

In hindsight I think he was foolish to leave Fulham in the first place, because new owners are always going to want to put their own man in.

At the same time I think it's ridiculous the treatment he's been getting. I mean come on, how little time are managers supposed to be allowed now??

Was it though? I don't remember it like that.
    I remember the majority of people being unsure on him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

If hodgson is on his way out, doesn't it just show how fickle the game has become. Is it too much to ask to at least give the guy a season?

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭PFL

RTE now reporting something is afoot
    Rijkaard tipped to take over at Liverpool

Thursday, 21 October 2010 18:43
    Betting has been suspended by some bookmakers on the possibility that Frank Rijkaard will take over from Roy Hodgson as Liverpool manager.

Rumours have spread among supporters that Hodgson is set to resign as Liverpool boss following their Europa League encounter with Napoli at Stadio San Paolo tonight.

Liverpool were taken over by a consortium led by American businessman John W. Henry late last week and have suffered a run of poor results under Hodgson, culminating in Sunday's 2-0 defeat to Everton.

It is suggested that former Barcelona manager Frank Rijkaard, who departed Turkish club Galatasaray by mutual consent yesterday, is being lined up to replace the former Fulham boss.

Hodgson's position is perceived to have been weakened in some quarters because Christian Purslow, a key mover behind his appointment, has stepped down from the role of managing director. He will now act as non-executive director and an advisor to the Henry consortium.

Commenting on the rumours, Rijkaard's agent Perry Overeem said that Rijkaard was not thinking about a move to Anfield.

He told Sky Sports News: 'We have not been approached by Liverpool. Frank's not thinking about any job at the moment - he wants to put what's happened in Turkey behind him.

'Frank's still in Turkey. Whenever we are approached, if we are approached, we will deal with that then but it's not helpful to get into rumours at this stage.'

The unofficial rumours have prompted bookmakers William Hill to slash their odds on Frank Rijkaard becoming the next manager of Liverpool from 2/1 to 2/7. Hills have also suspended bets on who will be the next Premier League manager to leave his club. Hodgson was 15/8 favourite in this category.

'All we have been taking this morning online and in our shops in Liverpool is money for Rijkaard to succeed Hodgson and for Hodgson to be the next boss out, so we have temporarily suspended the markets to see whether anything official emerges', said Hill's spokesman Tony Kenny .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

The-Rigger wrote: »
    Was it though? I don't remember it like that.
    I remember the majority of people being unsure on him.

I read it back the other day. The majority opinion was he was a stopgap, a caretaker manager, safe pair of hands, that type of stuff.

There were a few saying he was a brilliant choice, some non pool fans.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

If hodgson is on his way out, doesn't it just show how fickle the game has become. Is it too much to ask to at least give the guy a season?

Normally yes. Given the soap opera that Liverpool have been for over a year, no.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭cup of tea

Don't think Hodgson can shoulder all the blame. Should have won manager of the year last season, with many pundits agreeing and can't think off the top of my head what managers also said Hodgson deserved it but 'Arry was definitely one.
    When he took over Fulham he only managed to get 9pts from his first 13 league games....he took a long time to settle, especially adapting to his new sysem of play that he was trying to introduce. Fulham looked certainties for relegation but he turned it around.
    Once settled, the next season Fulham recorded their highest ever league finish and he got them to the Europa League final which was far from forseen. During his spell he got the best out of his players...great man-manager a prime example being Bobby Z, who couldn't hit a barn door before Hodgson came and was almost transferred to Hull at one stage, how things changed...became a fan favorite and earned an England call up.
    It is very early to be calling for his head on my opinion.8 games insn't exactly sufficient time to settle in and many Lpool fans will admit they are in a transition period.
    Easy to call for his head now, but I can safely say the majority of Lpool fans were happy with the appointment at the time. Players being off form and the obvious external factors concerning the debt and ownership of the club have not helped. Realisticly I don't think Lpool have a chance of reaching the top 4 this season and imo at the start of the season I didn't think this would be possible either.
    I'm sure Rafa is happy as he left Merseyside at the perfect time. Finally I'll say that imo Lpool do not have a starting 11 worth of a top 4 side, not to even consider having a squad worth of a top 4 side at the moment.
    This post is bound to not go down well amoungt Lpool fans ;) . I hope for Hodgsons sake, he can turn it around and hopefully have a reasonable season(when I say reasonable, I mean top 8) .

Results after taking over FFC in his first season.

Fulham 1 - 2 Chelsea

Sun. 6 FT Fulham 2 - 2 Bristol Rovers

Sat. 12 FT West Ham United 2 - 1 Fulham

Tue. 15 Postp Bristol Rovers P - P Fulham

Sat. 19 FT Fulham 0 - 3 Arsenal

Tue. 22 FT-Pens Bristol Rovers 0 - 0 Fulham

Tue. 29 FT Bolton Wanderers 0 - 0 Fulham

Feb. '08 STATUSHomeSCOREAway

Sun. 3 FT Fulham 2 - 1 Aston Villa

Sat. 9 FT Middlesbrough 1 - 0 Fulham

Sat. 23 FT Fulham 0 - 1 West Ham United

Mar. '08 STATUSHomeSCOREAway

Sat. 1 FT Fulham 0 - 3 Manchester United

Sat. 8 FT Blackburn Rovers 1 - 1 Fulham

Sun. 16 FT Fulham 1 - 0 Everton

Sat. 22 FT Newcastle United 2 - 0 Fulham

Sat. 29 FT Derby County 2 - 2 Fulham

Apr. '08 STATUSHomeSCOREAway

Sat. 5 FT Fulham 1 - 3 Sunderland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Kent Brockman

Rightly or wrongly, it was always my impression that RH was a manager who could get an average team to play above their level.
    Not sure what he would do with a big team thats underperforming?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Wouldn't pay much heed to betting being suspended. Doesn't mean anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

The squad is crap- doesn't matter who the manager is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,654 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Was watching that game tonight, and to be honest, he doesn't look like he could be a***d standing on the touchline!?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 840 ✭✭✭micks

cup of tea wrote: »
    Don't think Hodgson can shoulder all the blame. Should have won manager of the year last season, with many pundits agreeing and can't think off the top of my head what managers also said Hodgson deserved it but 'Arry was definitely one.
    When he took over Fulham he only managed to get 9pts from his first 13 league games....he took a long time to settle, especially adapting to his new sysem of play that he was trying to introduce. Fulham looked certainties for relegation but he turned it around.
    Once settled, the next season Fulham recorded their highest ever league finish and he got them to the Europa League final which was far from forseen. During his spell he got the best out of his players...great man-manager a prime example being Bobby Z, who couldn't hit a barn door before Hodgson came and was almost transferred to Hull at one stage, how things changed...became a fan favorite and earned an England call up.
    It is very early to be calling for his head on my opinion.8 games insn't exactly sufficient time to settle in and many Lpool fans will admit they are in a transition period.
    Easy to call for his head now, but I can safely say the majority of Lpool fans were happy with the appointment at the time. Players being off form and the obvious external factors concerning the debt and ownership of the club have not helped. Realisticly I don't think Lpool have a chance of reaching the top 4 this season and imo at the start of the season I didn't think this would be possible either.
    I'm sure Rafa is happy as he left Merseyside at the perfect time. Finally I'll say that imo Lpool do not have a starting 11 worth of a top 4 side, not to even consider having a squad worth of a top 4 side at the moment.
    This post is bound to not go down well amoungt Lpool fans ;) . I hope for Hodgsons sake, he can turn it around and hopefully have a reasonable season(when I say reasonable, I mean top 8) .

Results after taking over FFC in his first season.

Fulham 1 - 2 Chelsea

Sun. 6 FT Fulham 2 - 2 Bristol Rovers

Sat. 12 FT West Ham United 2 - 1 Fulham

Tue. 15 Postp Bristol Rovers P - P Fulham

Sat. 19 FT Fulham 0 - 3 Arsenal

Tue. 22 FT-Pens Bristol Rovers 0 - 0 Fulham

Tue. 29 FT Bolton Wanderers 0 - 0 Fulham

Feb. '08 STATUSHomeSCOREAway

Sun. 3 FT Fulham 2 - 1 Aston Villa

Sat. 9 FT Middlesbrough 1 - 0 Fulham

Sat. 23 FT Fulham 0 - 1 West Ham United

Mar. '08 STATUSHomeSCOREAway

Sat. 1 FT Fulham 0 - 3 Manchester United

Sat. 8 FT Blackburn Rovers 1 - 1 Fulham

Sun. 16 FT Fulham 1 - 0 Everton

Sat. 22 FT Newcastle United 2 - 0 Fulham

Sat. 29 FT Derby County 2 - 2 Fulham

Apr. '08 STATUSHomeSCOREAway

Sat. 5 FT Fulham 1 - 3 Sunderland

Do tell how many away games with his various clubs has Roy won in England?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

micks wrote: »
    Do tell how many away games with his various clubs has Roy won in England?

12 in six seasons. Roy Hodgson simply doesn't have the ability to manage a club of Liverpool's stature. He got the job on the back of a media that was desperate to see any English manager, no matter how mediocre get to manage a big club. Cristian Purslow fell for the hype and Liverpool ended up with a manager that had one decent season with an average team.

Hodgson was simply the 2010 version of Joe Kinnear, Frank Clark, Danny Wilson or George Burley and should never have been allowed near the Liverpool job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Liverpool's stature?!?! Hahahahaha

BaZmO* wrote: »

The Manchester United thread is that way >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Good man.

Doesn't stop you posting in relegation clubs superthreads. Thought it would be beneath you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭NickDrake

If Frank come in expect a LOT of spiting!!!

Comment above re the squad being the problem is spot on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

18-5.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭Lamper.sffc

Rightly or wrongly, it was always my impression that RH was a manager who could get an average team to play above their level.
    Not sure what he would do with a big team thats underperforming?

Yeah exactly. Right man for the job so ;)

Tbh the guy needs to be given some time. It really will go to show how bad football has become when liverpool doesnt give their manager a decent amount of time to do the job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

Is there anyone in the Roy camp? Should he get more time to make things right?? Liverpool always give their managers a fair crack.

From what I seen of Roy this evenin he's not going anywhere soon - unless he's pushed that is

Is there anyone in the Roy camp? Should he get more time to make things right?? Liverpool always give their managers a fair crack.

From what I seen of Roy this evenin he's not going anywhere soon - unless he's pushed that is

There doesn't seem to be many defending him, here or on other fan sites.

It's astonishing and telling, especially for LFC.

If this had been suggested 3 months ago, I don't think anybody would have predicted the groundswell of opinion against him, almost 100% on fan sites and even anybody that tries to defend him isn't that bothered.

Nobody seems to care.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Has he quit Yet?

The Muppet wrote: »
    Has he quit Yet?

No. Said he's not going to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

Talk about a managers resignation after 8 league when the problems at the club are not his fault shows the state of professional football .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

no it doesn't it shows the extraordinary incompetence of the former board who appointed him.

and the problems on the pitch this season are a lot to do with him. he is not good enough to manage Liverpool. simple.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

orourkeda wrote: »
    Talk about a managers resignation after 8 league when the problems at the club are not his fault shows the state of professional football .

exactly the reason that means he isnt going to quit, If new owners want a new man they can pay him the one years salary that supposidly he has in his contract and it'l cost to remove him in order to do so. He has no reason to walk out now and if anything now he would believe more so that he can turn things around as the club is getting itself back together off the field.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Blackhorse Slim

There was never any chance he would resign. At most he will leave "by mutual consent" and keep his compensation package as agreed in his contract.

Sooner the better.

i'd prefer if he was simply sacked, not "mutual consent".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Mr Alan wrote: »

Why? It's not working out at Liverpool, but we can at least end it with class and dignity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

apart from Kenny, who would you like in?

or is that who you'd advocate for now?

would you take any of Rijkaard, Pellegrini and MON?

anyone else?

• Advertisement

Why? It's not working out at Liverpool, but we can at least end it with class and dignity.

He has made a tit out of the club. He has been more worried about maintaining his friendship with Ferguson, tried to pass off some of the worst performances seen at the club in donkeys years as good & even excellent performances, tried to pass off a win against a minnow as a famous European night & been a prick towards the fans.

I'd accept either, but if i had a choice, i'd prefer to see him sacked.

Maybe I'm being vindictive, but so be it.
    SlickRic wrote: »
    apart from Kenny, who would you like in?

or is that who you'd advocate for now?

would you take any of Rijkaard, Pellegrini and MON?

anyone else?

Good ****ing effort! :p

He has made a tit out of the club. He has been more worried about maintaining his friendship with Ferguson, tried to pass off some of the worst performances seen at the club in donkeys years as good & even excellent performances, tried to pass off a win against a minnow as a famous European night & been a prick towards the fans.

I'd accept either, but if i had a choice, i'd prefer to see him sacked.

Maybe I'm being vindictive, but so be it.

Just because he doesn't respect "The Liverpool Way", it doesn't mean the club shouldn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Good ****ing effort! :p

i'm with you on that; always have thought he was as overrated as the day is long.

but i couldn't think of anyone else realistic and available.

and i have to do these things in 3s.

:p

O'Neill is of the same ilk as Roy tbh, average manager, but not good enough for Liverpool.

Can't see it happening, nor would I want it to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

Whatever happened to the Liverpool that always gives its manager some time?

Warper wrote: »

A manager was appointed who at no point in his 30 year plus career was ever good enough to be appointed. Our board fell for silly media fawning over him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Its quite amusing opposing fans repeatedly quoting this as if it were remotely relevent. LFC are averaging 0.75 points per game, if we give RG long enough I'm sure he could get that down to 0.50.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

It appointed Roy Hodgson as manager

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

mike65 wrote: »
    Its quite amusing opposing fans repeatedly quoting this as if it were remotely relevent. LFC are averaging 0.75 points per game, if we give RG long enough I'm sure he could get that down to 0.50.

Liverpool have a history of giving their managers time in the job (sometimes too much time) as Liverpool fans have always said. Surely he should be given until Xmas to see if he can turn things round.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Liverpool have a history of giving their managers time in the job (sometimes too much time) as Liverpool fans have always said. Surely he should be given until Xmas to see if he can turn things round.

He's not the man for the future of this club. Therefore he needs to go as soon as possible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Sometimes though, decisions just need to be made. Roy is not the man for Liverpool, he never was.

Eight games in we're fighting relegation?? Upcoming games at home to Blackburn, away to Bolton and home to Chelsea. I'm not confident of winning any of those matches.

And that certainly is not the Liverpool way!!

As Kess73 just posted on the LFC superthread, if the side went on a 30 game run averaging 2 points per game (which would be very opimistic) we would just reach last seasons tally of 63 points which only was good enough for the EL cos Pompey went bust.

And before anyone retorts well if thats the case anything better than 18th is good enough for this season - its not. Torres, Reina, Agger, even Gerrard may will all be gone next summer. There has to be some hope for next season, Roy Hogdson is offering none.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭yom 1

monkey9 wrote: »
    Eight games in we're fighting relegation??

But it's not just 8 games in. There has been 16 odd competitive games so far. Each one worse than the last. Liverpool have not won now in their last 7 competitive games in a row. That's not acceptable at any level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,513 ✭✭✭Shred

You know I have to be honest, as shít as Liverpool have been this season and as worrying as things currently look (on the pitch) I'm still very uneasy about the way this Hodgson situation is developing. I don't mean to have a go at Newcastle fans, but a lot of my fellow Liverpool fans are starting to sound just like them in wanting to get rid of a manager after 8 league games. But I do agree that something needs to change and change fast as I really didn't think things could get worse than last year football-wise but fúck me was I wrong. My instinct is that this job is beyond Roy's capabilities but I also think appointing Rijkaard would be a mistake. I'm not a big fan of Pellegrini either even though he did well with Real last year, but that team was full of quality. I seem to remember Villareal being a decent (possesion wise) but fairly boring team to watch while he was in charge too.

I don't know what the answer is to be honest but I certaiinly don't think asking for the manager's head after such a short period in charge is the solution either, even if I am uncomfortable with how he's been handling himself on and off the pitch of late.

A few people have said they feel sorry for Roy, and hope he leaves with dignity.

To be honest, I couldn’t care less. With each passing day/interview/performance, I’m holding more and more in contempt.

He’s completely self-serving. He’s been quick enough to crucify the players for crap performances this season; he hasn’t defended them against criticism or against speculation. Yet as soon as his own credentials/performance/job security is questioned, suddenly Roy shows some emotion.

As far as I’m concerned he’s shown little respect to many of the players, and in return he’s almost certainly getting little back. His own fault.
    He’s shown no respect to the supporters, through both his cowardly post-match interviews and criticism of the fan-protests. In return, we have little or no respect for him. Again, his own fault.

I’ll break open the champagne the day he leaves.

Shred wrote: »
    I seem to remember Villareal being a decent (possesion wise) but fairly boring team to watch while he was in charge too.

You remember wrong

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

yom 1 wrote: »
    But it's not just 8 games in. There has been 16 odd competitive games so far. Each one worse than the last. Liverpool have not won now in their last 7 competitive games in a row. That's not acceptable at any level.

Top of the Europa league group! Even if the man wins this weekend you will still be calling for his head.

The comparison to Newcastle isn't a good one. Newcastle called for the heads of managers who they either had called to be appointed in the first place, were doing well with the club or had previously done well with the club - that's why they draw flak from other fans.

A more apt parallel would be Juande Ramos at Spurs. He had the team languishing in the relegation zone, was rightly sacked after 8 games and then the team finished just outside the European places.

We never asked for Roy. He was only appointed due to the messed up situation with the owners and the board and to an inflated reputation in the English media. The fans didn't want him, he didn't have the track record or experience necessary, and he has done literally nothing of note to suggest he may be the right man for the job.

RasTa wrote: »
    Top of the Europa league group! Even if the man wins this weekend you will still be calling for his head.

Because he's not the person to undertake the rebuilding we need.

We need youth, we need pace, we need players with technique. He has no track record of buying these kinds of players.

We have a very old squad. He seems only interesting in worsening that problem by buying 29/30 year olds. He's not thinking long-term at all.

He sacrificed one of our most promising youth players in his pursuit of Paul Konchesky.

And i haven't even started on the on-the-field situation . . .

• Advertisement

The Yellow Submarine under Pelligrini were best described as solid

2004/05 Villarreal--38-18-11--9---69--37--+32----65
    2005/06 Villarreal--38-14 -15--9---50--39--+11----57
    2006/07 Villarreal--38-18--8--12--48--44---+4----62
    2007/08 Villarreal--38-24--5--9---63--40--+23----77
    2008/09 Villarreal--38-18--11-9---61--54--+7

Advertisement