Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hodgson hasn't quit. Not Yet. Not Ever!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

eagle eye wrote: »
    Show me where I said that Benitez was a bad manager. And I mean anywhere ever.

I don't like him because of his postgame comments last year after we lost at Anfield 2-1 but I've never ever said he was a bad manager.

What, when he criticized Allardyce's tactics of kicking lumps out of the Liverpool players?? He was spot on in my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Helix wrote: »
    your squad was better then, and your squad was younger then

woy is cleaning up the mess left by the previous regeime. youd be in the same position under the previous manager

There's absolutely no way we'd be in a relegation battle if Rafa was still our manager. No way!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Are you telling me there are 10 teams better than Liverpool in the Premiership? Player for player? If you are then I think you may be slightly stupid.

On current form, yes there is. Easily.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,021 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

5starpool wrote: »
    I found a post where you said you knew pretty quickly that Ince wasn't the right man for Blackburn and that he would have to go, hence making your opinion of our wanting Hodgson to go a bit hypocritical.

Yeah, pretty quickly was mid November. We had conceded 24 goals in 13 games and had won 1 game from 7 at home. He had hired Nigel Winterburn who had no experience in coaching as a part-time defensive coach. He had no experience himself in management any higher than league two either. He brought in Vince Grella for £4.5 million who had a terrible injury record which continued after he signed him. Do I need to go on? Chris Samba looked totally confused in most games as to what his position should be for defensive set pieces. Morten Gamst Pedersen, an ever present under Mark Hughes and now under Sam Allardyce was not even in the squad for a couple of games when fully fit and didn't know why he was left out, it was never explained to him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭stumpypeeps

RasTa wrote: »

How very, very predictable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

this is all completely fúcking nutty.

Rivals blame Rafa.

loads of us blame Roy.

same sh*t different day.

all i know is, and i suspect most rival fans deep down know the following to be the case. Roy has been a bit of embarrassment this season. simple as. and that's not all down to what he was left. anyone who claims that is either the biggest shítstirrer walking God's green earth, or is just clueless and their opinion isn't really worth considering.

the facts are, Rafa did shít when he didn't have the budget he was promised. he should've done better.

we got rid of him, and paid £10m in doing so, for a manager, who has never done anything to suggest he can do this job better than our previous manager. so he, logically, should never have been hired.

all this talk about Rafa leaving us in a mess is such unsubstantiated, biased bullshít. as bullshítty as anyone claiming Rafa was infallible.

and most important, as bullshítty as anyone who claims Roy has done anywhere near an adequate job so far. both in terms of results and his approach to games.

for fúck's sake, we've had one of THE worst starts in our history. our squad is sub-standard alright, but not that bad.

all this shít just goes round and round and round.

it's always 'one thing's fault' with some. it almost never is in reality. the whole mess we're in is a load of people's fault - players, ex-managers, owners, board members - all to varying degrees.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Yeah, pretty quickly was mid November. We had conceded 24 goals in 13 games and had won 1 game from 7 at home. He had hired Nigel Winterburn who had no experience in coaching as a part-time defensive coach. He had no experience himself in management any higher than league two either. He brought in Vince Grella for £4.5 million who had a terrible injury record which continued after he signed him. Do I need to go on? Chris Samba looked totally confused in most games as to what his position should be for defensive set pieces. Morten Gamst Pedersen, an ever present under Mark Hughes and now under Sam Allardyce was not even in the squad for a couple of games when fully fit and didn't know why he was left out, it was never explained to him.

He allowed Alberto Aquilani to go out on loan, despite the fact that he was our most creative midfielder, and we are now lacking creative midfielders. A 17m player out on loan. Disgrace in our predicament.

ALL of our players look confused as to where they should be ALL the time

He's alienating arguably our best CB in Daniel Agger

He signed Christian Poulsen and Paul Konchesky. Both are awful.

He has turned us into the most negative team in the league. Northampton, Blackpool and West Brom have all played us off the park

This is easy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

We've scored 7, conceded 13 in 8 games so the defensive record is just as bad. 1 win at Home. He bought Poulsen and Konchesky. Tbh, I can see us having only 1 win at 7 at Home, the way things are going.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Blackhorse Slim

So nothing like Hodgson at all then...?

• Advertisement

SlickRic wrote: »
    this is all completely fúcking nutty.

Rivals blame Rafa.

loads of us blame Roy.

same sh*t different day.

all i know is, and i suspect most rival fans deep down know the following to be the case. Roy has been a bit of embarrassment this season. simple as. and that's not all down to what he was left. anyone who claims that is either the biggest shítstirrer walking God's green earth, or is just clueless and their opinion isn't really worth considering.

the facts are, Rafa did shít when he didn't have the budget he was promised. he should've done better.

we got rid of him, and paid £10m in doing so, for a manager, who has never done anything to suggest he can do this job better than our previous manager. so he, logically, should never have been hired.

all this talk about Rafa leaving us in a mess is such unsubstantiated, biased bullshít. as bullshítty as anyone claiming Rafa was infallible.

and most important, as bullshítty as anyone who claims Roy has done anywhere near an adequate job so far. both in terms of results and his approach to games.

for fúck's sake, we've had one of THE worst starts in our history. our squad is sub-standard alright, but not that bad.

all this shít just goes round and round and round.

it's always 'one thing's fault' with some. it almost never is in reality. the whole mess we're in is a load of people's fault - players, ex-managers, owners, board members - all to varying degrees.

Absolutely spot the **** on. Our current predicament is an accumulation of varying factors, so everyone gets to have a little piece of the blame cake. Some helped themselves to seconds!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭SM01

Very good reasons, as are those that Liverpool fans have for wanting Hodgson to go. That doesn't absolve the hypocrisy of your comments in the LFC thread though.

How very, very predictable.

You suggesting that the league table is lying?

And whose fault is that? Nothing to do with Roy?

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

Are you telling me there are 10 teams better than Liverpool in the Premiership? Player for player? If you are then I think you may be slightly stupid.

thats exactly what im saying

there are a few good players at liverpool, but too many mid table players, and ageing guys past their sell by date

You suggesting that the league table is lying?

I was suggesting, if you read my post, that player for player, there are not ten teams better than Liverpool in the Premiership. 6 perhaps but not more.

On current form there are 17 teams better.

The manager is laregly responsible for current form, rightly or wrongly.

• Advertisement

The difference between two derbies – illustrating the change from Benitez to Hodgson. « Talking about Football

He isn't playing to the teams strengths and is dictating his own system. He doesn't seem to be able to adapt to the players he has. He still has Johnson, Agger, Gerrard, Mereiles, Kuyt, Maxi, Cole and Torres. The system he uses ignores the strengths of these players and hell, actually highlights their weaknesses. He needs to show signs he can adapt to the players he has.

Rafa got criticised for the very same thing last season, so it has got nothing to do with him.

K-9 wrote: »
    And whose fault is that? Nothing to do with Roy?

If they were playing amazing at the end last season you might have a point, I've no doubt it would have being the same this season with Rafa in charge and the squad Roy was left with. Maybe 3 points more

Sunday 21 March 2010 - Barclays Premier League
    Manchester United 2 Liverpool FC 1

Sunday 28 March 2010 - Barclays Premier League
    Liverpool FC 3 Sunderland 0

Sunday 04 April 2010 - Barclays Premier League
    Birmingham 1 Liverpool FC 1

Sunday 11 April 2010 - Barclays Premier League
    Liverpool FC 0 Fulham 0

Monday 19 April 2010 - Barclays Premier League
    Liverpool FC 3 West Ham 0

Sunday 25 April 2010 - Barclays Premier League
    Burnley 0 Liverpool FC 4

Sunday 02 May 2010 - Barclays Premier League
    Liverpool FC 0 Chelsea 2

Sunday 09 May 2010 - Barclays Premier League
    Hull City 0 Liverpool FC 0 - Liverpool FC finish 7th in the Premier League

thats exactly what im saying

there are a few good players at liverpool, but too many mid table players, and ageing guys past their sell by date

Too many mid table players? Well if you add Gerrard, Torres, Reina, Cole, Kuyt, Skrtel, Agger, Meireles, Johnson to these mid table players, would you not expect to do better than a mid table team?

See post I just put there at the same time as you Rasta.

Why employ the same tactics that didn't work towards the end of last season?

If they were playing amazing at the end last season you might have a point, I've no doubt it would have being the same this season with Rafa in charge and the squad Roy was left with. Maybe 3 points more

Sunday 21 March 2010 - Barclays Premier League
    Manchester United 2 Liverpool FC 1

Sunday 28 March 2010 - Barclays Premier League
    Liverpool FC 3 Sunderland 0

Sunday 04 April 2010 - Barclays Premier League
    Birmingham 1 Liverpool FC 1

Sunday 11 April 2010 - Barclays Premier League
    Liverpool FC 0 Fulham 0

Monday 19 April 2010 - Barclays Premier League
    Liverpool FC 3 West Ham 0

Sunday 25 April 2010 - Barclays Premier League
    Burnley 0 Liverpool FC 4

Sunday 02 May 2010 - Barclays Premier League
    Liverpool FC 0 Chelsea 2

Sunday 09 May 2010 - Barclays Premier League
    Hull City 0 Liverpool FC 0 - Liverpool FC finish 7th in the Premier League

Bad and all as that was, Scored 12, Conceded 5.

Under Roy, F 7, A 12.

Nearly a total reversal.

We've lost to Northampton and Blackpool.

• Advertisement

Too many mid table players? Well if you add Gerrard, Torres, Reina, Cole, Kuyt, Skrtel, Agger, Meireles, Johnson to these mid table players, would you not expect to do better than a mid table team?

gerrard - seems to be intent in playing in a position that doesnt suit him best, and looks past it these days

torres - doesnt want to play for the club any more from the looks of it, as useful as a hole in the head. currently adding nothing. youd be better with a championship player

reina - top keeper, not much use if the back line isnt solid enough though

cole - brutal

kuyt - effective, but no world beater

skrtel - wouldnt get into the back like of any of the top 6

agger - see above

meireles - remains to be seen how he'll do in england

johnson - might do a job if he was played as winger, but hes a dreadful, dreadful defender

so no, i was including all those players in liverpool having a mid table quality team at best

gerrard - seems to be intent in playing in a position that doesnt suit him best, and looks past it these days

torres - doesnt want to play for the club any more from the looks of it, as useful as a hole in the head. currently adding nothing. youd be better with a championship player

cole - brutal

agger - see above

johnson - might do a job if he was played as winger, but hes a dreadful, dreadful defender

so no, i was including all those players in liverpool having a mid table quality team at best

Good grief if thats your analysis of Liverpools better players I'd love to know what you make of Villa, Everton, Spurs etc...these supposed better teams!

Remember form is temporary!

Good grief if thats your analysis of Liverpools better players I'd love to know what you make of Villa, Everton, Spurs etc...these supposed better teams!

Remember form is temporary!

well from a villa point of view, the only liverpool players whod get into our starting xi would be reina, gerrard and torres, but thats assuming gerrard and torres were the players from 2 years ago and not the shambles they are now

so on the last 12 months, only reina would get into the villa starting xi

for spurs, i dunno, same 3 again with the same caveats? maybe a spurs fan would be best to ask

everton, its hard to say, theyre in a mess at the moment too, but they always have woeful starts and manage to be there or there abouts. i havent seen enough of them this season to be able to suggest if anyone from liverpool could get into their team

well from a villa point of view, the only liverpool players whod get into our starting xi would be reina, gerrard and torres, but thats assuming gerrard and torres were the players from 2 years ago and not the shambles they are now

for spurs, i dunno, same 3 again with the same caveats? maybe a spurs fan would be best to ask

everton, its hard to say, theyre in a mess at the moment too, but they always have woeful starts and manage to be there or there abouts. i havent seen enough of them this season to be able to suggest if anyone from liverpool could get into their team

Ok lets have a look at the Villa first team.

As far as I can see 2 players might make the Liverpool team. Dunne and Warnock. After that its a team of plodders and young players who have achieved nothing in football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

agger or skrtel would walk into the spurs team given the state of their defence...

cole - brutal

agger - see above

Gerrard - Roys fault

Torres - Roys fault.

Cole - Roys signing

Kuyt - mostly injured so far so I'll give him that. Rafa knew how to get the most out of him.

Skytel - Would help if Roy stopped picking Carra beside him.

Agger - Roy hasn't helped. Not "his" type of player. Prefers Konchesky types.

Mereiles - Agreed

Johnson - did fine last season.

Roy had money during the Summer, about £20 Million or so.

What did he do with it? Bought aging, arguably over the hill players in Konchesky, Poulsen and Cole.

Mereiles who looks a decent player, there was no need if he had kept Acquilani. Could have used that money elsewhere. Bit Similar to Rafa spending £17 Million on a FB, but at least Rafa had an excuse.

Gerrard - Roys fault

Torres - Roys fault.

Cole - Roys signing

Kuyt - mostly injured so far so I'll give him that. Rafa knew how to get the most out of him.

Mereiles - Agreed

What did he do with it? Bought aging, arguably over the hill players in Konchesky, Poulsen and Cole.

Mereiles who looks a decent player, there was no need if he had kept Acquilani. Could have used that money elsewhere. Bit Similar to Rafa spending £17 Million on a FB, but at least Rafa had an excuse.

dunno if you can blame roy for torres or gerrard who were much the same last term

also disagree that johnson was good last season

agger or skrtel would walk into the spurs team given the state of their defence...

possibly, as i said, a spurs fan would probably be the best to ask on that

SM01 wrote: »
    Very good reasons, as are those that Liverpool fans have for wanting Hodgson to go. That doesn't absolve the hypocrisy of your comments in the LFC thread though.

What hypocrisy? Are you talking about the Ince post that was dragged up from 2008?

I've just explained that here and found it in the Liverpool thread. Fact is I knew in mid November that things were not working out. He was sacked in mid December.

This is October, 8 games into the Premier League season. Hodgson sent a team to Napoli last night minus a lot of first teamers and they did a good job. You guys have no patience is what I've been saying all along. I'm not saying he should get the year but certainly he should not be getting this much flack this early in the season. If things don't turn around soon then clearly he has to go but its just too early to be calling for his head right now.

There is a huge difference between looking for a manager to be sacked this early and after 13 games. Lets see how things are after another 5 Premier League games and then you can start to talk. I thought Ince's time was up after 13 games, he lost every game after that until early December when he got the sack.

Accusing me of hypocrisy is bollocks and nothing short of it.

Ashley Young - Very ordinary player with limited ability.

Stephen Ireland - Decent but mental case

Stewart Downing - As ordinary a player as your likely to see.

Stillian Petrov - Avergae midfielder.

Nigel Reo-Coker - Done nothing in the game, ordinary.

Emile Heskey - Crap.

Habib Beye - Plodder

Stephen Warnock - Reasonable left back

Richard Dunne - Star man.

James Collins - Plodder

Brad Friedel - Decent keeper.

You think that selection of players are better than Liverpools. Seriously, are you well?

• Advertisement

Who are you disagreeing with? Yourself?

Because I didn't say he was good, I said fine as in decent. Dodgy enough at the back as we all know but added to us going forward. Roy hasn't a clue how to use him.

What hypocrisy? Are you talking about the Ince post that was dragged up from 2008?

I've just explained that here and found it in the Liverpool thread. Fact is I knew in mid November that things were not working out. He was sacked in mid December.

This is October, 8 games into the Premier League season. Hodgson sent a team to Napoli last night minus a lot of first teamers and they did a good job. You guys have no patience is what I've been saying all along. I'm not saying he should get the year but certainly he should not be getting this much flack this early in the season. If things don't turn around soon then clearly he has to go but its just too early to be calling for his head right now.

There is a huge difference between looking for a manager to be sacked this early and after 13 games. Lets see how things are after another 5 Premier League games and then you can start to talk. I thought Ince's time was up after 13 games, he lost every game after that until early December when he got the sack.

I think your glossing over the way the team is playing. Its been steadily getting worse. Last night we got a result against a very, very ordinary Napoli team. We had two chances in 90 minutes of football.

Now if we start to improve I'll be much more patient but after 15 competitive games or so we're actually going backwards.

Ashley Young - Very ordinary player with limited ability. Bollocks

Stewart Downing - As ordinary a player as your likely to see. Bollocks

Emile Heskey - Crap. Bollocks

Habib Beye - Plodder

James Collins - Plodder Bollocks

You think that selection of players are better than Liverpools. Seriously, are you well?
    Imo.

Ashley Young - Very ordinary player with limited ability.

Stewart Downing - As ordinary a player as your likely to see.

Emile Heskey - Crap.

Habib Beye - Plodder

James Collins - Plodder

young, ireland, downing, petrov, warnock, collins & dunne would all walk into the liverpool team

not sure how you can call collins a plodder tbh, hes on a par with dunne.

then you chose to mention friedel who i said reina was comfortably better than, our third choice right back in habib beye, reo coker who hasnt been playing football for about 18 months up until the new manager came in, and heskey who looks rejuvinated (but is still crap, as you say)... im not sure why

Don't you get it? Last night was one of his top 3 performances while manager. It was a bit meh for me, but given the team, a good result.

Who are you disagreeing with? Yourself?

Because I didn't say he was good, I said fine as in decent. Dodgy enough at the back as we all know but added to us going forward. Roy hasn't a clue how to use him.

gotcha, thought you meant fine as in good, rather than passable

I think your glossing over the way the team is playing. Its been steadily getting worse. Last night we got a result against a very, very ordinary Napoli team. We had two chances in 90 minutes of football.

Now if we start to improve I'll be much more patient but after 15 competitive games or so we're actually going backwards.

A very ordinary side that beat Roma 2-0 in their last home game and only lost at home twice last season.

Are Liverpool now supposed to be better than last years Champion's league and Serie A winners who got the same result against Napoli last season?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Gerrard - Roys fault

Torres - Roys fault.

Cole - Roys signing

Mereiles - Agreed

Gerrard was actually worse last year than this, was that Rafa's Fault.

Torres would have left if Rafa was still in Charge.

Skrytle, Who should he play beside him if Carra is dropped

Johnson, Defensively he's muck last season this season and every season

young, ireland, downing, petrov, warnock, collins & dunne would all walk into the liverpool team

not sure how you can call collins a plodder tbh, hes on a par with dunne.

then you chose to mention friedel who i said reina was comfortably better than, our third choice right back in habib beye, reo coker who hasnt been playing football for about 18 months up until the new manager came in, and heskey who looks rejuvinated (but is still crap, as you say)... im not sure why

Your having a laugh mate. Having a laugh. Is it any wonder Villa fans are known as the most deluded.

• Advertisement

Imo.

Is that you Roy?

Roy probably would prefer Heskey over Torres alright.

Don't you get it? Last night was one of his top 3 performances while manager. It was a bit meh for me, but given the team, a good result.

So as a fan would you not be thinking that this could indeed be a turning point and holding your fire for a couple of games? Or is this a case(which I believe) of you all having decided before he came in that he wasn't good enough?

A very ordinary side that beat Roma 2-0 in their last home game and only lost at home twice last season.

Are Liverpool now supposed to be better than last years Champion's league and Serie A winners who got the same result against Napoli last season?

Yeah, thats how it works.:rolleyes:

Honestly, did you watch the match last night? I doubt it.

Your having a laugh mate. Having a laugh. Is it any wonder Villa fans are known as the most deluded.

villa fans arent deluded at all tbh

all 7 of those players would comfortably get into the liverpool starting xi

and we'll add another in luke young

marc albrighton too

dunno if you can blame roy for torres or gerrard who were much the same last term

Torres has scored 1 goal this season. He was nowhere near that level of crapness last season.

villa fans arent deluded at all tbh

all 7 of those players would comfortably get into the liverpool starting xi

and we'll add another in luke young

marc albrighton too

Lol. Lol.

• Advertisement

So as a fan would you not be thinking that this could indeed be a turning point and holding your fire for a couple of games? Or is this a case(which I believe) of you all having decided before he came in that he wasn't good enough?

Yeah, I believe Cowen when he says we've turned the corner too.
    eagle eye wrote:

TBH, You lost the thread there with such a stupid statement.

No point carrying on if that's your logic on things.

Lol. Lol.

lol it up all you want. i deal only in fachts

Gerrard - Roys fault

Torres - Roys fault.Super player but hasn't been on form for quite some time stretching back to his injury last April and all through the World Cup

Cole - Roys signing

Kuyt - mostly injured so far so I'll give him that. Rafa knew how to get the most out of him. Has played well for every coach he ever had

Mereiles - Agreed

Johnson - did fine last season.Most overrated defender in the history of Liverpool fc. And he did not do fine last season. Today's fans see his attacking flair and automatically put him down as a good defender when its never been the case. Great attacking ability, should be a winger

imo.

lol it up all you want. i deal only in fachts

You deal only in utter horse****. Utter utter I can't believe its not utter, horse****. Goodnight and thank you.:p

TBH, You lost the thread there with such a stupid statement.

No point carrying on if that's your logic on things.

But 8 Premier League games is enough to base a decision on?

• Advertisement
Advertisement