Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post of the day issue..

Options
  • 21-10-2010 1:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,919 ✭✭✭

Just pointing it out, and hoping I'm not the only one, but the "You laugh you lose" thread is constantly taking over the post of the day segment of boards. It can get really annoying because if I really wanted to see funny pictures I could google it. I dunno if I'm the only one it annoys, but sure said I'd point it out there anyway! :P
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,508 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

done on thanks and people thank the posts cos they're funny. whats wrong with that?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

Have a read here Noel. Would appear we're the only people who realise this is annoying.

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056038709

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭Ross

Have a read here Noel. Would appear we're the only people who realise this is annoying.

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056038709
    But, how do you know that it's annoying? Is there a way you can have absolute knowledge that it is annoying? No.

You can use empirical evidence by matching thanks to images and deduce a probability, but at base you are relying on a set of assumptions about the universe.

Therefore, Post of the Day exists.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

Fair enough. We're the only ones who regard it as annoying.

Though we're right;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭epgc3fyqirnbsx

Is the thanks filter that was on the old front page available anywhere now?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

Is the thanks filter that was on the old front page available anywhere now?

http://www.boards.ie/?filter=thanks

You just select the filter you want from the right most tab on top of the thread list on the home page.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭epgc3fyqirnbsx

javaboy wrote: »
    http://www.boards.ie/?filter=thanks

You just select the filter you want from the right most tab on top of the thread list on the home page.

Ah sure it was right under my nose! Cheers

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

While it wont change, I completely agree with Noel.

POTD was something you used to look forward to, A good contribution/well thought out post, or a funny homegrown slice of comedy from AH.

These days it's just a repost of something that appeared on reddit a few days ago. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

The vast majority of those images winning POTD aren't even that funny! I used to love POTD - some clever remark, witty insight or hilarious ancedote - but now I rarely even check it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,647 ✭✭✭✭Fago!

Couldn't agree more. POTD used to be something I'd look forward to, for a bit of funny reading.

I'm sick of seeing post of the day being:

A) A picture from You Laugh You Lose

B) A photo from the Random Photo Thread in the Photography forum

Although the photography one annoys me, it'd be harsh to ask a thanks ban on the photography thread, because that's actually amateur photographers' work and thanking their pic means their work is appreciated. But I'm all up for a thanks ban on Laugh You lose please. PLEASE!!!? please?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭IITYWYBMAD

Post of the Day, garnered by "most thanked post" is probably one of the most inaccurate ways of doing it. It does not take into account the thanks versus views of the particular forum, nor does it rate the quality of the post, as one-sided as that may be.

Can I suggest that the post of the day, should be chosen by some random user, as opposed to the amount of thanks (at least for a while) as it would probably be as accurate. Failing that, you could lock a whole lot of monkeys in a room, and who knows, the entire works of Shakespeare could be churned out!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

If you post just before midnight, and your post gets one thousand thanks the next day, you still won't get post of the day, not sure why that was changed - think a post should be able to get 'post of the day' - no matter which day it was posted.

Anyway, I think that 'You Laugh You Lose' should remain in the running, unfair to throw the baby out with the bathwater.

How about, if someone posts something in the YLYL thread, that had been posted before, they get banned from posting in that thread for a month. Could make a game of it, users could join in and expose the reposters when they spot a repost of something that was posted already, within the last six months or so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

I don't check post of the day that often. The reason I stopped checking it, back in the days before the YLYL thread, was because every time I checked it it was just some post from the photography forum of a leaf shot in sepia meant to symbolise the fragility of nature or a black and white photo of a knocked over street cone which reflected the encroachment of urban sprawl on man kinds naturalistic spirit.

Won't that just happen again or was I just unlucky that the 50 or so times I checked it 48 of those times resulted in the above.

So what do we do? Ban YLYL posts from getting POTD? Then ban the photography posts from getting it? Then when people complain it's always some smart arse remark in AH that get's it, ban AH posts from getting it? Where do you stop?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

Ross wrote: »
    But, how do you know that it's annoying? Is there a way you can have absolute knowledge that it is annoying? No.

You can use empirical evidence by matching thanks to images and deduce a probability, but at base you are relying on a set of assumptions about the universe.

:D Best thread ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Ross wrote: »

I Thank therefore I am. :)

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

strobe wrote: »
    .. because every time I checked it it was just some post from the photography forum of a leaf shot in sepia meant to symbolise the fragility of nature or a black and white photo of a knocked over street cone which reflected the encroachment of urban sprawl on man kinds naturalistic spirit.

Ah, that's why I said last time this question came up, but you put it better that ever could :p

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=68127149&postcount=9

OutlawPete wrote: »
    Ah, that's why I said last time this question came up, but you put it better that ever could :p

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=68127149&postcount=9

Indeed, but it appears to matter to you more.....
    OutlawPete wrote:
    I have lost out on post of the day twice thanks to that thread just piping me by one or two thanks, not a happy bunny was I

IITYWYBMAD wrote: »

I was joking :rolleyes:

I also said I printed out the statistics and had them laminated.

I was joking :rolleyes:

I also said I printed out the statistics and had them laminated.

Of course you were, as was I......

/Edit/ {_: as per smiley

Of course you were, as was I......

/Edit/ {_: as per smiley

You didn't use a smiley.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

I've got POTD 2 or 3 times since I started posting in that thread so i'm not complaining :p

You didn't use a smiley.

I did. You didn't recognise it.

I did. You didn't recognise it.

Let me see ..

Oh I see it now, you used an invisible smiley - didn't notice at first, apologies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,924 ✭✭✭✭RolandIRL

If you post just before midnight, and your post gets one thousand thanks the next day, you still won't get post of the day, not sure why that was changed - think a post should be able to get 'post of the day' - no matter which day it was posted.

It's not that way...:confused: Look at today's POTD, posted on 27/10 after 4pm. today's the 29/10, so it is based on most thanks, though i'd say on a thanks per day basis

jaysus pete, get your facts right :P

whiteman19 wrote: »
    It's not that way...:confused: Look at today's POTD, posted on 27/10 after 4pm.

That got post of the for the 27th, the day it was posted.

This got post of the day yesterday ..

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=68730363

.. and it was posted yesterday.

today's the 29/10, so it is based on most thanks, though i'd say on a thanks per day basis
    ..jaysus pete, get your facts right :P

:cool:

Maybe I'm wrong, but the chances of me being wrong twice in one decade, are highly unlikely to be fair :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Just on this how is thread of the day selected?

The current selection is to with FÁS training course.
    It's informative though not exactly memorable

What's the process for thread of the day?
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Just on this how is thread of the day selected?

The current selection is to with FÁS training course.
    It's informative though not exactly memorable

What's the process for thread of the day?
    Thanks
    Random. At least that's been the answer every other time that question was asked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,924 ✭✭✭✭RolandIRL

has the time at which POTD changed changed? it changed today after 4pm iirc. used to be at midnight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

has the time at which POTD changed changed? it changed today after 4pm iirc. used to be at midnight.

I was going to say, I checked at 2am and it was still the same as yesterday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

POTD is from 31st October :confused: Has it not changed in a couple of days?

Advertisement