Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post of the day issue..

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

What theme are you using?

This is the current POTD

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Yeah that has the most thanks when you look on the front page, but if you actually go to POTD it's coming up with this post.

133393.JPG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

javaboy wrote: »
    http://www.boards.ie/?filter=thanks

You just select the filter you want from the right most tab on top of the thread list on the home page.

I never knew that even existed. Ha! It's like a daily league table!

My POTD is still a few days out :confused: Today it's showing Xavi's post from a couple of days ago as POTD!

It's a differnet Xavi post

• Advertisement

No, I know he's top of the thanks list with a picture in the YLYL thread today, but when I go to the dropdown boards.ie menu and click on POTD, it brings me to his post from 1st November.

Jaysus, somethign seriously messed up so

• Registered Users Posts: 3,686 ✭✭✭Kersmash

Yep, that particular Xavi post has been the POTD for the past few days.

Use the beta skin... It's much Beta !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,686 ✭✭✭Kersmash

I've been using it for weeks! The POTD's changed now though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Bump

POTD has become a bit pointless lately with MT Cranium having a monopoly on it.
    Fair play to him as his posts are well researched and very interesting to read but let's face it, it's cold. We get it.

Is there any way POTD can be changed a bit? Maybe have it so the same person can't win two days in a row? I know people have said before that they were directed to great threads/posts before because of it but now it's just a link to the Weather forum.

Kind of agree with you, except, like all potd 'memes?' it should pass itself naturally

His posts are pretty much only poular because of the bad weather and the sheer amount of people in the weather forum lately

Sure the POTD today is YLYL.... again... Not that I'm complaining, but you see what I mean.

Tallon wrote: »
    Kind of agree with you, except, like all potd 'memes?' it should pass itself naturally

His posts are pretty much only poular because of the bad weather and the sheer amount of people in the weather forum lately

Sure the POTD today is YLYL.... again... Not that I'm complaining, but you see what I mean.

Bah, any other day for the past week and I'd have been sorted with MT as POTD.

Still though, it's lost its effectiveness and some sort of filter would be great.

I know what your saying, but how far will people ask to filter it down?

It's the most thanked post that day, it works well imo.

I just can't wait to see what sensation takes it over next :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Bump

POTD has become a bit pointless lately with MT Cranium having a monopoly on it.
    Fair play to him as his posts are well researched and very interesting to read but let's face it, it's cold. We get it.

And we are well informed because of his posts, therefore you can understand the amount of thanks he receives.
    Xavi6 wrote: »
    Is there any way POTD can be changed a bit? Maybe have it so the same person can't win two days in a row? I know people have said before that they were directed to great threads/posts before because of it but now it's just a link to the Weather forum.

Why change it?

If someone like MT Cranium goes to the lengths he does to post up helpful information I think he deserves every single thanks he gets, tbh!

He posts, he gets thanked.

He gets POTD for a reason, isn't that what it's about?

And we are well informed because of his posts, therefore you can understand the amount of thanks he receives.

Where did I say I didn't understand? In fact in the bit you quoted I said I'm aware why he gets the thanks.
    Why change it?

Variety is the spice of life and all that.
    If someone like MT Cranium goes to the lengths he does to post up helpful information I think he deserves every single thanks he gets, tbh!

He posts, he gets thanked.

Where did I say he didn't deserve the thanks? Again, I said the opposite. Please stop implying things that aren't there. It's a waste of time having to clear them up.
    He gets POTD for a reason, isn't that what it's about?

In its simplest form yes, but it benefits nobody whereas when there was a healthy mix people found new threads and forums just by taking a look at the latest POTD. Now there's no point as it's either one of two things.

Bein the regular that you are I'm sure you would agree that opening doors on boards is a good thing and should be encouraged. Well POTD doesn't do that anymore.

Change it, don't change it, whatever. This is Feedback and I'm giving feedback.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

What about a top 5 posts of the day instead? I mean it'd be pretty easily incorporated into the existing menu structure.
    Or a post of the day per category if you wanted to get needlessly OTT with the whole thing.

If you want more POTD though, you can just filter by thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 447 ✭✭AntiMatter

What about a top 5 posts of the day instead? I mean it'd be pretty easily incorporated into the existing menu structure.
    Or a post of the day per category if you wanted to get needlessly OTT with the whole thing.

There can be only one.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

Xavi has a point: Post of the day list

I just don't bother checking POTD anymore really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,508 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

sure its only the weather these days anyway...

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

This isn't official policy or anything, just me expressing an opinion. I really can't see a problem with how POTD is chosen and furthermore, I most definitely cannot understand why MT having a monopoly on it for the past few weeks is such a big deal. People get thanked for many reasons and if his expertise in the weather forum garners so many thanks, so be it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

smashey wrote: »
    This isn't official policy or anything, just me expressing an opinion. I really can't see a problem with how POTD is chosen and furthermore, I most definitely cannot understand why MT having a monopoly on it for the past few weeks is such a big deal. People get thanked for many reasons and if his expertise in the weather forum garners so many thanks, so be it.

Agree with that for sure, if a reposted meme in the YLYL thread, photo in Photography, or an MT post gets POTD, then that user 'deserves' it: no matter what anyone else thinks.

Think the fair solution (as Doc suggested) would be to have a Top 5, if possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭NoQuarter

Smashey while i agree with what you say in principle, thanking the same post day on day hinders finding any good little gems of posts across the forum.

Gone are the days when youd be brought to some obscure part of boards and find out something interesting!

I do think MTC's posts are valuable though.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

NoQuarter wrote: »
    Smashey while i agree with what you say in principle, thanking the same post day on day hinders finding any good little gems of posts across the forum.

Gone are the days when youd be brought to some obscure part of boards and find out something interesting!

I do think MTC's posts are valuable though.
    I see your point but it isn't that long since POTD was monopolised by You laugh, you lose and AH. These things are cyclical and it just so happens that the hot topic (nice pun) at the moment is the weather.

OutlawPete wrote: »
    Think the fair solution (as Doc suggested) would be to have a Top 5, if possible.

As I said, that page already exists here

If you have an 'official' top 5, then it's not really 'Post of the Day'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

Xavi has a point: Post of the day list

18 out of 25 are MT's . .but i think he deserves it!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

A couple of more posts and he will be the most thanked poster in the history of Boards.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056090880

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

OutlawPete wrote: »
    A couple of more posts and he will be the most thanked poster in the history of Boards.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056090880

Well I guess I had a good run there while it lasted.
    Anywhere in Galway sell nooses at this time of night?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Well I guess I had a good run there while it lasted.
    Anywhere in Galway sell nooses at this time of night?

I have some old rope for sale. It'll cost ya though. Cost ya money. :mad:

Advertisement