Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Head tube problems

• 21-10-2010 1:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭

Hey all,

I am currently in the middle of getting my cannondale f500 fatty back on the road for daily commutes into town. Ive run into problems with regards the headshok and bearings.

I brought the frame into cycleways, and was told (rudely actually) that the headshock itself was totalled. It had corroded away internally and was giving no damping at all. I asked him for a solution and I was shrugged off saying it would cost hundreds to get her back in good order etc. so i left it be for a while.

After doing some of my own research, i have found you can get reducers for the head tube. So i figure im going to get these reducers and then a 1-1/8th fork on the cheap and bobs your uncle! But i need to change the bearings as well, which type do i need to get, 1.5" or 1-1/8th" ??

Any help would be appreciated cheers!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 573 ✭✭✭el Bastardo

I checked this option out myself a few months back and decided it's really not worth it. You'd end up having to get a new stem, fork, reducers and headset (or both combined into a reducing headset) . Doesn't work out cheaply at all and it could still feel shiity after you're all done because the sizes are out (Something to do with old Cannodale 1.5" sizing vs newer 1.5"/30mm industry standard that Cannondale later adopted)

I bit the bullet and had my aul' headshok overhauled just last week. Sent it off to Germany. It was working, but only just and certainly not safely. It needed new oil and air cylinders, and seals and I was recommended to replace the bearings because they were rusted up. Set me back 255 euro (+30ish to An rip-off Post to get it to Germany), but they did a great job - it's practically new and feels a whole lot better. They also optimized the bearings as part of the service. Downside, aside from cost, is that it'll possibly need to be serviced again in the next few years.

Your other option woould be to buy the parts and do self-service (not a lot cheaper than paying someone else to do it though abnd a real pita). I have loits of info hauled from various sites (incl a step-by-step written for a German mag) if you decide to go that way.

What kind of headshok is it? It'd have to be ruined with rust to unserviceable. Corrosion leads to rusty bearings rather than 'no damping'. It's more likely that it's a broken spring, seals, cylinder leaks or something like that. Are you able to manually pull it up/down at all?
    Hey all,

I am currently in the middle of getting my cannondale f500 fatty back on the road for daily commutes into town. Ive run into problems with regards the headshok and bearings.

I brought the frame into cycleways, and was told (rudely actually) that the headshock itself was totalled. It had corroded away internally and was giving no damping at all. I asked him for a solution and I was shrugged off saying it would cost hundreds to get her back in good order etc. so i left it be for a while.

After doing some of my own research, i have found you can get reducers for the head tube. So i figure im going to get these reducers and then a 1-1/8th fork on the cheap and bobs your uncle! But i need to change the bearings as well, which type do i need to get, 1.5" or 1-1/8th" ??

Any help would be appreciated cheers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

How much is a new one if an overhaul is circa 300 all in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 573 ✭✭✭el Bastardo

I checked that. It's silly prices; Something like 600 euro for a new Headshok Super Fatty Ultra DLR (in glossy black). They're not a normal aftermarket thing afaik.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Looks like a overhaul is a good deal so!

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Exodus 1811

Its off a caad3 aluminum frame, not sure of the year etc! Just says Fatty Headshok on the forks !
    I am only going by what the guy said in cycleways as i hear they are the only ones who service cannondale around dublin? Although, he didnt exactly inspect it, merely pushed on it once or twice, had a laugh with his mates about it , then handed it back to me !
    I only use this bike for commuting, so no need for huge travel , and no chance of me bottoming out etc, so i might just leave it as it is. The bike cost me nothing, but spending 220 for a rehaul of the suspension is stretching the budget for me. Id prefer to just get everything else in working order, e.g. cranks etc..

• Advertisement
Advertisement