Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prank calls in the middle of the night

Options
  • 21-10-2010 1:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Im not to sure if this is the right place to be putting this but,

About 3 months ago I got a missed call and a voice mail from a private number. The voice mail was offensive and rude and they knew my name etc. I thought it was just a prank call and thought nothing of it.

But in the past 2 weeks i have been getting calls ranging from 1am to 6am almost every night. Some nights they don't say anything and some nights they start saying offensive stuff to me and using my name. saying things that had been said 3 months previous in the voice mail.

Last night, for example, they said they were having a wa*k over me and what am I going to do about it <insert my name>.
    I asked who it was and they just kept saying that, so I hung up.

I do turn my phone off at night but it just seems to be getting worse.

I was just wondering if there is any possible way of me tracking this number or do I have to go to the gardai? It's very upsetting.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭bestleftfull3

GARDAiiii:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 33,903 ✭✭✭✭listermint

As above. contact the gardai and your mobile provider.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,916 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭jordainius

Gardai. Only option.

Sorry to hear about it though, please go to the gardai actually to make sure this freak/creep gets in trouble!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭THEZAPPA

jordainius wrote: »
    Gardai. Only option.

Sorry to hear about it though, please go to the gardai actually to make sure this freak/creep gets in trouble!

Thanks for all the replies :)

I will be going to Gardai and hopefully get whoever it is. Hopefully no one I know, But I have the feeling it is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

1. Turn off your phone at night.
    2. Turn off your voicemail completely.
    3. Dont answer calls from blocked numbers.

Best idea is to change your number though. Most people say oh no I cant but having done it recently its no great hassle. If all that fails its gardai time.

kmick wrote: »

Best idea is to change your number though. Most people say oh no I cant but having done it recently its no great hassle. If all that fails its gardai time.

Thing is I have the feeling it's someone I know from college, so if thats the case they will just get my new number and keep doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭jay93

Thats a terrible thing that is happening to you whoever it is my be some sort of a pervert or something hopefully the gards get him :)

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭CaSCaDe711

After alerting the Gardai, number 3 is all you should put into practice. Bad idea turning off your phone because some idiot is playing games. They'll love that and may pester you more, all while you lose contact with everyone else. If they call again, answer, and blow a nice loud whistle down the line, hopefully that'll deter them, or answer and just leave the phone aside, hopefully running down their credit.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,614 ✭✭✭✭28064212

CaSCaDe711 wrote: »
    If they call again, answer, and blow a nice loud whistle down the line,
    This. Or an air-horn. Some very loud and annoying noise anyway. However, make sure you go to the guards no matter what else. Write down all the dates and times you received the calls. If you do, he'll just get away with it and do it to the next girl

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭flyton5

Pest whistle. They'll get the idea when they go deaf for a bit. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭messymess

OP, I don't know what type of phone you have but on mine (and it's not fancy!) there's an option to reject calls that have unknown numbers, so you don't even have to deal with it. But like other people have said get yourself onto the gaurds ... harassing you is one thing but the sexual element to it is pretty ****ing sick. The sad thing about it is that your pest may very well be routing calls anonymously over the internet ... there's really nothing you can do about it, if that's the case.

Time to do some facebook friend pruning aswell I'd say OP!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

What network are you on OP?

messymess wrote: »
    OP, I don't know what type of phone you have but on mine (and it's not fancy!) there's an option to reject calls that have unknown numbers, so you don't even have to deal with it. But like other people have said get yourself onto the gaurds ... harassing you is one thing but the sexual element to it is pretty ****ing sick. The sad thing about it is that your pest may very well be routing calls anonymously over the internet ... there's really nothing you can do about it, if that's the case.

Time to do some facebook friend pruning aswell I'd say OP!

I dont think I can do that on my phone but I will have a look now, thank you! Im pretty sure its someone I know through people in college. The fact that they know my name and my college makes me suspect that. Getting a bit closed off now from talking to anyone in college because of this.
    Davy wrote:
    What network are you on OP?

I am on 02. Do you think they can help?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

I'm a bloke and I have also had weird calls from some guy a few times. I just acted incredibly bored, unimpressed and unshocked while he was being very pervy down the phone. I actually put the phone down on the table and wandered off letting him chat to himself!

It seems that it worked as he never called again as he basically got no reaction.

If you're worried about it, I would definitely call the Gardai though. You'd never know what kind of weirdos are out there. I would certainly pursue it if the caller knows your name, or mentions anything about your personal life or whereabouts.

Stalkers are not fun and they're pretty dangerous! Such behaviour is best nipped in the bud before it gets out of hand.

I think the calls I got were from some sad weirdo calling random numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

CaSCaDe711 wrote: »
    After alerting the Gardai, number 3 is all you should put into practice. Bad idea turning off your phone because some idiot is playing games. They'll love that and may pester you more, all while you lose contact with everyone else. If they call again, answer, and blow a nice loud whistle down the line, hopefully that'll deter them, or answer and just leave the phone aside, hopefully running down their credit.

I said turn the phone off at night. Normal people dont ring at night. If you dont answer private calls then there is no need for a whistle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭James2693

Air horn FTW

• Registered Users Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭nava

As above Garada is the only way

Someone I know used to get them what they did was put the radio on

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Vodafone have a blocking service, o2 have one also, but only for texts and mms, not calls unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,890 ✭✭✭patrickc

had a recent thing like this on my work phone, contacted a garda I know, and he put a tracker thing on it, and could tell any unknown numbers coming in. we soon got to the bottom of who it was. i could of pressed charges but didnt. once the evidence is there from the gardai through your phone you can if you like

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭CaSCaDe711

I said turn the phone off at night. Normal people dont ring at night. If you dont answer private calls then there is no need for a whistle.

I'm aware of your comment kmick, but unfortunately emergencies can happen at anytime and someone may need to contact you, whether that's in the day, the night, from a known / unknown / witheld number. Idiots that do these prank calls normally don't have a life, so I wouldn't class them as "normal people", so they will call regardless of the time, as per the OP's mention of 1am-6am. No phone user should have to turn ones phone off because some fool is playing games. OP, best of luck getting that resolved, hope it ends soon.

Advertisement