Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pires to Blue Square Premier?

• 21-10-2010 2:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 513 ✭✭✭

Please Bobby dont......think it would be a terrible way to finish out his career, he's surely good enough to play a role for someone in the premiership til the end of the season...

From BBC Sport:

Crawley are set to begin talks with former Arsenal midfielder Robert Pires about playing some part of this season, BBC Sussex understands.

The 36-year-old former France international is back in England looking for a club after leaving Spanish side Villarreal in the summer.

The Red Devils have spent heavily this summer in 'Project Promotion' as they bid to win the Blue Square Bet Premier.

Pires played for Arsenal from 2000 to 2006, scoring 84 goals in 284 games.

Crawley boss Steve Evans was given a major cash injection in the summer by owner Bruce Winfield and spent heavily on Salisbury forward Matt Tubbs, Peterborough winger Sergio Torres and York striker Richard Brodie, who was thought to cost around £250,000 - a record for a non-league club.

606: DEBATE
    Should Pires contemplate ending his illustrious career in the Blue Square Bet Premier?
    But Pires, who has won the World Cup, a European Championship and two Premier League titles, would be by far the biggest coup for the Red Devils, who have never played in the Football League.

The veteran, who started his career at Metz and played for Marseille before joining Arsenal 10 years ago, recently said that he would retire if he does not find a new club by the end of January and mooted Aston Villa, Birmingham and QPR as possible destinations.

Evans denied a newspaper report earlier this month that he would have £1m to spend in January.

Crawley visit Newport County in the FA Cup fourth qualifying round this weekend.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Come to Barnet, Bobby - closer to your old stomping ground and we really need you

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Would hate to see it. As one of my favourite all time Gunners, it would be a sad way to end a career. Can defintiely do a job in the Prem, I'd be surprised if someone doesnt take him on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭MickShamrock

Never mind the Premiership, he would definitely be a great addition to any Championship side.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

He'd be very welcome at Galway United

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

Reckon Bobby would do very well in Italy; not as fast as the other leagues and players regularly play into their late thirties.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

What a shame if he goes to the Blue Square Premier. I am sure that there are plenty of better clubs that would take him in a flash.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,173 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Has to be a mistake. Bob Pires playing non league football would be a joke. Even if it were his only option he should just retire.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

He'd be very welcome at Galway United

I'd be willing to spot him a pint down at the quays anytime he likes if he came :pac: and he could probably get free mcdonaghs too :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Has to be a mistake. Bob Pires playing non league football would be a joke. Even if it were his only option he should just retire.

Could be a stunt to drum up intrest

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

on the plus side if he did go he'd have a blast, he would be completely revered there - and this is a club with ambition.

it used to be the done thing as well. As players lost their youthful vigour they would play for smaller clubs. I remember Jimmy Greaves turning out for Barnet when he was younger than Pires is now. (Scored 27 goals from midfield too) It's a shame this doesn't happen anymore. Players are too well paid and too removed from the public nowadays. Kudos to Pires if he does bring back this fine old tradition

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

I'd be very suprised at this. He could certainly still do a job for one or two clubs in the Premiership, even just to fill out a squad place and play a game every few weeks or so. Even failing that he's be more than good enough still for most Championship clubs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 478 ✭✭revz

I hope he goes to a team in the premiership/championship so we can watch him play again!
    Absolutely loved Pires in his prime, such a good player.
    It always pains me in the "Best premier league 11 ever" topics that you pretty much have to pick Giggs at left mid (& deservedly so) cos I'd love to be able to put bobby there!

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭PaddyBomb

A few weeks ago he was training with Birmingham. Our whole team will be ex-arsenal in a few years (not a bad thing).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

PaddyBomb wrote: »
    A few weeks ago he was training with Birmingham. Our whole team will be ex-arsenal in a few years (not a bad thing).

Really? That's mad.

He's been training with Arsenal for the last two weeks since.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,021 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I think it would be great for a club like that and their fans to have a player like Pires finish his career there.

I don't get those saying he shouldn't go there. Its a huge thing for a small club whereas going to a Premier League club at this stage of his career would be no big deal for that club.

Always liked Pires and I'll like him even more if he does this. Could be a situation that could end up with him taking a coaching role and learning the ropes for a possible management career down the road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭yahoo_moe

If only Sol was still at Notts County... they could have tried to reunite the Invincibles :)

For those saying he's still PL standard, I'm not so sure. I absolutely love the guy but the bad knee injury he had in his first year in Spain affected him a good bit. Saw him playing for Villarreal a few times and wasn't anywhere near the player he was at Arsenal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

One of the greatest ever Arsenal players. Seen every game he was in while he wore the red and white. Don't go to stoke or Birmingham though. The club doesn't like those two.

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭PaddyBomb

Frisbee wrote: »
    Really? That's mad.

He's been training with Arsenal for the last two weeks since.

Yeah someone had pictures up on a Birmingham fan forum. I'll try find them, they looked real aswell.

Advertisement