Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Draught Guinness for Porter Cakes

Options
  • 21-10-2010 2:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Can anyone tell me if "Draught" Guinness can be used to make Porter cakes? And how bad will the cakes be if draught is used?

I've made 2 cakes using the Odlums recipe which didn't specify that draught couldn't be used. These cakes are for a friends function, so I won't be tasting them. I don't think I'd be much of a judge anyway.

As I was making the cakes last night, my husband insisted that, according to his sister (experienced porter cake maker), draught is no good. As I hadn't the bottles, I went ahead anyway. Maybe I shouldn't pass on the cakes...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭nyeb2007

I'd imagine it would be fine - especially if you let it go flat and or take the head of it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

Its the same drink just one is gassed with nitrogen and one is gassed with co2. Once baked, all the gas will be gone.

Make one cake with draught and one with a bottle. Then ask husband and sister to tell you which is which. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,779 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

I disagree. Draught & bottled Guinness are totally different drinks entirely. Bottled being much more bitter than draught. OP - Use bottled.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 mags100

Thanks all.

Hill Billy - if you're right, the question is how much difference using draught would make.

nyeb2007 and BigCheeze - thanks for the input. The 'Taste Test' would be an interesting exercise alright!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

Hill Billy wrote: »
    I disagree. Draught & bottled Guinness are totally different drinks entirely. Bottled being much more bitter than draught. OP - Use bottled.

The gases affect the flavour. The co2 used in bottled Guinness enhances the perception of bitterness. The nitrogen used in draughts Guinness inhibits bitterness and flavour but enhances the mouth feel which gives the creamy smooth sensation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,779 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Bigcheeze wrote: »
    The gases affect the flavour.
    And this is a element in cooking. It is like salted & unsalted butter. The same, but different. At the end of the day it is down to personal taste.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭dixiefly

My mum used to make great porter cake. She used to make it for me and I ould take it up to the flat I was staying in when in college though I didnt eat much myself - some of my friends loved it.

I always got her a botlle of draught guinness straight from the tap for making the cake, it was esy o get as my uncle had a pub nearby.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 mags100

Well, I passed on the cakes as the general opinion seemed to be that using draught should be ok.
    And happily, my friend has reported they were lovely.
    I'm still not sure what the taste difference is, but I'll happily use draught again if the bottled version is not available.
    Thanks all. :)

Advertisement