Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FAS 2D CAD course

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Zoolander1

Did both courses before, like you had an engineering degree and time on my hands.

Found the 2D to be pretty easy tbh. Went on for 3 months which felt a little long considering the amount of coursework. But in the spare time I did various other drawings aswell......no harm to build up drawings.There'll be people who have never used CAD before so its understandable that it moves pretty slowly.

3D was tougher of course but after a while you start to fly at that too. Plenty of time to improve your skills.

I'd say theres no harm in doing the course, met alot of good people there from different backgrounds etc. Good craic at times too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Notch000

@zoolander

what was the format of the course, it say full time on the spec but is it like monday to friday 9-5 or what.
    Also is there much in the line of homework/project or exams along the way or how does it work >?

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Zoolander1

I did the full-time course Notch, think it was 8:30 til 3:45 monday to thursday with a half day on Friday. You have to clock in and out to get your weekly money.....you get docked for arriving late. Seems a bit harsh but you could get people abusing it so it's understandable. Plus it keeps a routine to your week which I appreciated when I was unemployed/.

In terms of the coursework....there's basically notes from some other outlet which they follow...notes covering all aspects of 2D CAD and then questions for practice.....this will be the format for about half of the course....then there's a few weeks of exams(3 exams in 2d if i remember right), one each week and the rest of the week is geared around doing mock exams to prepare. Final 2 weeks are free weeks for people to repeat etc....if you passed the exams then you'll be able to build up a portfolio of drawings in this free time. There's no homework or anything like that.

I found the course slow moving but after a few weeks I found a way that worked for me...flying through the notes and questions and then doing drawings on the side related to my field which I got myself.

Hope this helps........:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 alyb8

Done this one myself, brilliant coures. Yes slow to start but once it gets going its flat out, especially if you were like me who was self taught and only basics for editing drawings...... managed to get work again so i couldnt follow onto the 3d one..rage for me, but will if i ever get a chance again. ....all i need now is a cad pack going for a birdy :) anyone any suggestions??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

Just got a place today on CAD2D at FÁS so I'm looking forward to that now, I'm fairly handy at drawing but I want to do Autocad as I feel I wouldn't get a job without it, I'v a FETAC level 5 for Architectural Drawing and Engineering Drawing as it is so hopefully the cad course will help me.

• Advertisement
Advertisement