Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Use an estate agent or not?

Options
  • 21-10-2010 2:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭

I'm moving abroad next month for a few years and want to rent out my apartment before I go. I'm just wondering if I actually need to use an estate agent to manage the property. So far it would seem that I can do all the things offered by the estate agent, such as sourcing tenants, checking references, advertising, drawing up lease, tax forms, etc. I could get a list of contractors myself, plus I have family living nearby that could lend a hand too.

This would be my first time renting out my apartment and as I have no experience with this I would appreciate any feedback. Cheers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Ronald Sherrif

There should be no need for a managing agent with one apartment. The number of call outs should be very low.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭tara73

I'm not too sure how you would handle looking for tenants, as I think it's necessary to meet them in person to get an impression.

if your family is reliable and can do that for you, it should be ok and no need for an agent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 The Good Agent

Try it yourself and, worse case scenario, you don't find a tenant. I think this is a highly unlikely scenario, but if it does happen then, and only then, use an agent.

Some nice photos, ads on Daft/MyHome, a quick tidy-up of your property, someone to do your viewings, and a lease from Easons = you laughing all the way to the bank!

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Porkpie

Thanks for all the help everyone! Will do it myself so.

Advertisement