Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Recommend a softshell hi-vis jacket

• 21-10-2010 2:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭

Hi-vis jackets are very visible, but are usually of non-breathable material, so they are good for slow commuting/slow recovery rides but less good for higher intensity cycling.

Assos do the Airjack 851 (I think?) which is very yellow and in a breathable material, but is also Assos-price.

Any recommendations on something in-between?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

No. You must get the Assos one.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,779 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

I got this high viz gilet which works well for me. I'm sure you'll get something similar with sleeves if you do a search. A lot of the high viz options I looked at were no longer available, guess the cycling style gurus say no to high viz.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭alcyst

Sugoi still do a Zap gilet, they do good stuff. But they are Canadian and it looks like distribution can be spotty.*

http://www.sugoi.com/can/eng/Products/Bike/Men/Outerwear/Details/1481-75774U.609-Zap-Vest

Current Zap costs C$90, about EUR63 ex tax. Sizing is north American. Might be over that way soon, thanks for the pointer.

I have the Assos, and it's great, but too warm once temp gets to 7+. Hmmm, I didn't say that first off.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,779 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Price for the Zap gilet on Wiggle is €43, which is a good bit cheaper. Also, by buying from outside the EU, you would be liable to get hit for an excise duty.

I'm in the market for something similar myself at the moment, but with sleeves this time. Given the dire state of the things here, I'm going to try to spend my money locally, once prices are within 10%-20% of internet outlets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 208 ✭✭sean_d

Craft do a hi-viz gilet, with a mesh back. Light, breathable and plenty of reflective bits, just put it over your usual layers.
    I think it was only about 20e.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭Donie75

http://www.polaris-apparel.co.uk//category-6255/product-22130//RBS-GILET,-Small.html
    I bought one of these for €30 in a shop in Athlone. It's a good fit and breathable. They do a jacket as well.

smacl, when I look at the Wiggle link I get "Discontinued - no longer available", searching for Sugoi Zap gets a few odds & ends but no mens large gilet. ??

There is a Craft running vest. I struggled with their website but turned up;
    Performance Light Vest in Yellow with " Reflective prints on Front and back". Which is on Wiggle and Chain Reaction, at 40 and 35.

thanks for the pointers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 208 ✭✭sean_d

alcyst wrote: »
    There is a Craft running vest. I struggled with their website but turned up;
    Performance Light Vest in Yellow with " Reflective prints on Front and back". Which is on Wiggle and Chain Reaction, at 40 and 35.

This is the one I was referencing, at 22e

• Registered Users Posts: 39 kellyoncobbles

Came across this by accident this morn...

http://www.aldi.ie/ie/html/offers/special_buys3_14678.htm

Its aimed at runners, but I tried it on cos I've been looking out for one for those times when there's a chance of light showers. The pic in the link doesn't do it any favours - looks better in the flesh.
    It's light, bright and fits pretty well. Has a gripper strip at the waist and an 'open' flap on the back for air. Its hard to get a high vis that doesn't want to drain every drop of water out of your body on a high tempo spin. Why not chance it for €16 and if you think its rubbish, just go with an Assos, Nalini or whatever?
    Might have to rush though - this was a special on 14th Oct - they might be scarce. I was lucky to find a medium.

It is a light cycling-fit gilet with mesh back. It is very bright yellow rather than that hi-vis yellow, but does the trick. Sizing is UK/North American rather than Swiss/Italian.

• Advertisement
Advertisement