Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wanted etci rules 4th edition

Options
  • 21-10-2010 2:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 810 ✭✭✭

Hi looking for a copy of the 4th edition of the etci rules. Anyone finished there phase 6 and you don't need it anymore? Dublin area. Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭ntpm

Inbox wrote: »
    Hi looking for a copy of the 4th edition of the etci rules. Anyone finished there phase 6 and you don't need it anymore? Dublin area. Cheers

"Anyone finished there phase 6 and you don't need it anymore"??????:mad:
    They will always need it ( until the 5th Edition is issued... and even then you will always need to be able to look back at old regs).
    just because someone has completed FAS training doesn't mean they never need to refer to Regs and they definetly don't know everything in it.

I would agree if you said ; They won't need it because there is no work out there... recession and all that!!!!:rolleyes:

If your a registered electrician you can buy one from ETCI or via RECI, ECSSA etc... and you should already have one anyway!!!:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭HighlyCooL

i know think you need to be registered to buy them form ETCI, if your going to DIT and are registered you can get a student copy for a lower price for the SU shop

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

really! would be surprising if their sales were restricted

well i have a copy and im doing Electrical Services engineering, one of the lectures came around and told us they were on sale in the SU i think only Sparks and people doing Electrical services in the college are able to get the regs form the SU.

sure why would they restrict the sale of the Regs, how are you ment to design an installation or learn the regs with out the book! ya kinda need to know it for the exams for phase 4 and 6. It would be a bit weird letting some one who is registered to cert an installation but they only were allowed buy the book when they got registered.

just had a look on the ETCI site, and you can buy the regs form then directly! all you need is a credit card!

some things never change

a great reference book for anyone interested

• Advertisement

Savage book all right, can be a bit confusing at times tho!

I don't get you with the "some thing never change", do you think that only registered electricians should be able to get the book?

no i meant the payment

sure anyone should be able to read wiring rules

it's not classified information:)

sorry im tired and i picked you up wrong, haha yet the etci robbin' all them poor sparks and students, they have no soul! :D

yeah theres nothing special secrets in them like the secret to free electric or even low esb bills.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

Inbox wrote: »

Walk into any DIT in the country,go to the shop and ask for a copy.I'll be amazed if your asked for your student card.

Saying that I echo what others have said,it should be a book all sparks have and refer to on a regular basis,not just when in college.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭markc1184

If its of any use to you i have a couple of spare 3rd Editions here.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Electricman999

I think you can get them discounted trough FAS.
    Watch out for the printing eras and ETCI mistakes.

which mistakes?

they have an 'amendment' if it's those you're talkin bout

I think you can get them discounted trough FAS.
    ETCI, RECI, ECSSA, Sales are not restricted.

I think all Apprentices should get the Regs free from ETCI when starting off.
    The ETCI are making bucket lodes of money from the sales of cert’s and training.

M cebee wrote: »
    which mistakes?

they have an 'amendment' if it's those you're talkin bout

The last time i was inspected by ECSSA the inspector told me there were 87 mistakes they have reported to ETCI.

Just Highlighting What I Heard

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭gazelec

Just go onto the ETCI website and order a copy, as said there are no restrictions and it will cost €97.50 inc delivery

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭intbn

gazelec wrote: »
    Just go onto the ETCI website and order a copy, as said there are no restrictions and it will cost €97.50 inc delivery

i think that's why he's looking on here gaz :D
    if anyone has any of the ETCI publications or in PDF, please get in touch with me ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

Sales are only restricted in DIT because they've some deal with ETCI to get them for students at a discounted rate. They don't want other people e.g. professional sparks or interested members of the public buying them and depriving their students of a cheap copy.

You can buy them through www.etci.ie without any issue as far as I am aware anyway.

You can also consult them at some university libraries.

I think they really should be fully available online as they're a public resource, and effectively a body of law as they are legally enforceable.

Solair wrote: »
    Sales are only restricted in DIT because they've some deal with ETCI to get them for students at a discounted rate. They don't want other people e.g. professional sparks or interested members of the public buying them and depriving their students of a cheap copy.

You can buy them through www.etci.ie without any issue as far as I am aware anyway.

You can also consult them at some university libraries.

I think they really should be fully available online as they're a public resource, and effectively a body of law as they are legally enforceable.

I was thinking the same thing meself, it's a joke that you've to pay for them and their not available in PDF for those who havn't the money to spare, i'm qualified 2 years next march and i've no luck getting work, where am i supposed to be able to get 97.50 from?
    It says on their website one of their 3 objectives is "To promote safety in electrical equipment and installations and to encourage an awareness of electrical safety among the general public"

in america the national electrical code is a statutory instrument which makes it copyright free so you can download it and print it out for your own reference or view it on your iphone etc.

etci, really have their priorities in a pickle if they're expecting electrician's who have no work to dish them the guts of a hundred euros for a book of standards they're TRYING to promote electricians to follow.

Is there anyone else in the same boat as me?

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭sparcocars

If your an apprentice or an electrical student go into there offices and once you can prove your an apprentice/electrical student you can get it half price. I got mine before i even started phase 2 and just went there with a letter i had from fas when i started the apprenticeship and got it half price no problem.

sparcocars wrote: »
    If your an apprentice or an electrical student go into there offices and once you can prove your an apprentice/electrical student you can get it half price. I got mine before i even started phase 2 and just went there with a letter i had from fas when i started the apprenticeship and got it half price no problem.

fairplay for the input mossy, i'm qualified 2 years so i say they'd give me feck all! :D
    if anyones interested i'd swap a brand new set of 7 insulated GENUINE irazola screwdrivers(orange and grey) with irazola carry case for a new copy of the fourth edition,
    if anyones's interested, let me know ;)

EDIT:
    i say GENUINE because given the price they go for(50 to 80 euros), someone made the effort of making crappy counterfeit ones that that came in a cardboard case, irazola got wind to this and decided to distribute all newly made sets in an 'irazola' embroidered carry case

• Advertisement
Advertisement