Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deposit dispute with landlord

Options
  • 21-10-2010 3:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭

Hi guys looking for a quick bit of advice.
    The story:
    I moved out of my room as I went on an extended leave. The landlord contacted me to get my details so he could refund depoist. I sent details but at the end of the month I recieved nothing so got in touch again. Got a reponse the next day via email saying he had not recieved first text message. He went on to detail how a bin and extension lead were missing from room , that I left the room in a dirty state and damage was done to the walls from posters and that he would only be refunding 200 of my 400 deposit as he had to hire cleaners and a painter. I replyed asking if the email was geniunly for me, and have yet to hear a response.

My response to his claims:
    There was never a bin in the room and I believed the extension cord was one I had purchased but have no problem returning it. I always cleaned/ hovered my room but I did not upon vacating the room. I had 3 posters attached with bluetac not salotape and don't recall them doing any damage when taken down.

The Question:
    What are my options?
    He has said that he will deposit the money by the end of the week. I don't think that what he is claiming is entirly true but I would be willing to meet half way and accept 300 just not to have to deal with it. Advice please!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

sounds like hes taking the pi*s but you have also been stupid enough to give him ammo.

1. You should have asked for an inventory list upon moving in to remove the dispute over the bin. You didnt so its your word versus his.

2. You took property belonging to him. Rightly hes going to charge you for this

3. Unless you had permission to put something on the walls weather it be a poster or a shelf you should have gotten permission.

I suspect theres very small oily / dirty marks from it and hes really pushing his luck he is entitled to repair any damage caused and although repainting the full wall is excessive there is an argument for it.

Either way your entitled to reciepts for the replacement bin, power cord, paint and any labour to repaint.

So I suggest you ask for these and if not forthcoming then take a dispute up with the PRTB.

that said I dont see how your surprised, you left the room dirty by your own admission, put things on the wall without permission and took some of his stuff. Honestly Id probably stiff you out of cash aswell as a 2 fingered salute.

Advertisement